Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid track mode imminent.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got to explore Track mode a little yesterday. Suspension is definitely stiffer than even the stiffest standard suspension setting. Power feels down compared to standard Plaid mode but still stout. Dash graphics are pretty neat and drag mode/launch control still work with track mode.

*WARNING* Experimented with the Drift preset...and nearly crashed the Plaid. The yoke and drifting just don't play nice together. For the first time since owning the car I realized a detriment of the yoke. In large steering angle/oversteer situations you are f*cked. Knowing drifting this thing could be tricky I experimented on a 3 lane sweeper (plenty of room and no other cars on the road). It will get sideways alright! The car went progressively sideways but when it was time to apply quick counter steer to control the yaw, the yoke was crossed up, and the correction went all bad. I grabbed a big handful of air. By the time I grabbed the yoke correctly I was over rotated with too much yaw to pull back. I controlled the spin as best I could and ended up doing a 360 in the middle of the sweeper. No damage, no drama, but might of peed myself a little LOL.

This needs a proper steering wheel to drift properly or a lot more practice with the yolk. Be careful out there!
@jmlenz Thanks for sharing that story. S Track Mode deserves a steering wheel. Or at least a much quicker steering ratio so you don't need to shuffle the yoke so much. When I got the back of my M3P sliding way out by mistake countersteering was super easy and fun, thanks to the quick steering ratio and small sporty wheel. The new S should have that too.

Agreed 103kW was low. I just went out again just now and got up to 130kW. It looks like it’s speed-dependent (higher speed = higher regen limit) and it’s very dynamic. Yesterday evening, I just drove on city streets, so speeds were low.
@MarcG I see you're in SF, with amazing driving roads all around you in northern California. What's your take on the yoke for fun twisty road driving? Now that you have Track Mode to dial back the nannies, do you feel comfortable with it tackling tight turns, hairpins, etc at a fast pace?

All the reviews and videos I see from owners saying they love the yoke after getting used to it, don't seem to be from drivers who would put Track Mode to much use...

@MarcG I see you're in SF, with amazing driving roads all around you in northern California. What's your take on the yoke for fun twisty road driving? Now that you have Track Mode to dial back the nannies, do you feel comfortable with it tackling tight turns, hairpins, etc at a fast pace?
I certainly don’t love the yoke, and I will definitely replace it with a wheel before taking it to the track.

It’s fine for non-city driving, but I’d much rather have a round wheel for the fun twisties - especially if I’m going to enable Track Mode not on the track, in the off chance I need to correct oversteer or something unexpected.

Basically, the yoke is only good for highway driving when you’re barely steering. Everywhere else, it’s inferior to a round wheel (other than providing better visibility to the instrument cluster screen).

None of that. It works different and +/-10 is only bias of how much it will fight under/over steer.

I was reading the M3P track information from tesla and it seems +10 is closest to stock settings.

• Stability Assist - You can choose any level from -10 to +10. Choosing +10 engages all stability assist systems for controllable driving in which stability systems remain engaged, whereas -10 disables all stability systems and the stability of the drive rests solely on the driver. The default setting of 0 represents a balance which provides some stability being automatically controlled and leaving some control up to the driver.

Probably 10 (or more), given what they wrote in the Plaid Track Mode page:
  • Stability Assist - Drag the slider to choose the level at which the stability control systems assist in controlling the vehicle. You can choose any level from -10 to +10. Choosing +10 engages all stability assist systems for controllable driving in which stability systems remain engaged, whereas -10 disables all stability systems and the stability of the drive rests solely on the driver. The default setting of 0 represents a balance which provides some stability being automatically controlled and leaving some control up to the driver.

You appear to be correct.

AWESOME!! Can't wait to see it! Thank you!
Ok roads dried up today so I was able to go out and test - results below.

My takeaway: no major difference in max power between various driving modes, but definitely large differences in max regen.

Very surprised (positively) by the max regen in Track Mode! :)

Code:
Mode        SoC    Max Power   Max Regen
-----       ---    ---------   ---------
Normal      81%    818.1 kW     94.5 kW
Normal      77%    812.1 kW     91.1 kW
Track       80%    820.6 kW    139.2 kW
Track       74%    814.7 kW    180.1 kW
Drag Strip  75%    818.2 kW     95.1 kW

My takeaway: no major difference in max power between various driving modes, but definitely differences in max regen.

Code:
WOW! Awesome! Torque must be what's being limited. Or maybe it ramps in a different fashion. And how high up did you hold it for? Did it feel slower at high speeds in Track Mode?

Reactions: Caliboi707

My takeaway: no major difference in max power between various driving modes, but definitely large differences in max regen.

Code:
See because compare the Drag Mode to Track Mode:

Drag Mode:

Track Mode:

Especially above ~120 mph, it really slows down. I mean quite a bit. And even more past 140 mph. It's not slow at all, but it just doesn't accelerate past 130-140 with the same, urgency if you will. So my guess is they thermal de-rate power in Track Mode at high speeds to keep everything cool.

Reactions: tm1v2
WOW! Awesome! Torque must be what's being limited. Or maybe it ramps in a different fashion. And how high up did you hold it for? Did it feel slower at high speeds in Track Mode?
Since I was on public roads, I did not go very fast (kept it relatively legal). So no triple-digit speeds!
I’ll see how it does on the track once I finally make it out there.

• Informative
Reactions: EndlessPlaid

To me does feel limited a little bit. I ran 5 draggy runs and in regular drag mode it was about a 10th better than the track mode in a quarter mile. And also the top speed is only raised in track mode lol.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
OH really? So you can't do 175 in Plaid or DS Mode? And what did it trap in the 1/4 in Track Mode? 140s?
Yea I tried in DS mode and still had the old limiter. Went in track and had the new top speed.

First 2 were in DS mode

Attachments

• IMG_5390.jpeg
    IMG_5390.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_5391.jpeg
    IMG_5391.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5392.jpeg
    IMG_5392.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5393.jpeg