Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Track Mode is Amazing!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What preset are you guys using when running on streets? Do you crank stability up to 10?

I definitely want to try the awesome mode but I don’t have experience in performance driving and the safety warning they put in the UI for not running it on streets is scary.
Just do the "Race" preset and you'll be fine. They're still traction control and stability control, it's honestly even more stable than before, it just goes in a straight line when you punch it and when you slam the brakes. It tended to wander before under full throttle.

Reactions: edx1105
What preset are you guys using when running on streets? Do you crank stability up to 10?

I definitely want to try the awesome mode but I don’t have experience in performance driving and the safety warning they put in the UI for not running it on streets is scary.
Just do the "Race" preset and you'll be fine. There's still traction control and stability control, it's honestly even more stable and confidence inspiring than before, it just goes in a straight line when you punch it and when you slam the brakes. It tended to wander and float before under full throttle.

Reactions: afarkas2222
I too love the way track mode makes my 2023 Plaid S handle (I customize to 80% power to rear and traction/stability down -6 for a bit more fun going around corners)... But I DON'T love how it blasts all the fans/condensor/... to keep everything cool, makes a lot of (not-particularly-pleasant) fan noise, and more quickly drains the battery. And the fact that it disables when I exit the car so needs to be re-enabled.

Anyone know a good way we could get Elon to grant us most of the customization of track mode but without the cooling noise/waste and allow it to just be kept that way like plaid/sport/chill modes? Maybe to keep everyone safe it would have to limit how far down to tune traction, or have an idiot light showing traction disabled if below -4 or some such, but I really enjoy how the car feels in track mode. I love the acceleration in Plaid mode I normally drive in, but the steering/handling just feels terrible.

I traded a 2022 Porsche Taycan 4S in for my Plaid S mostly because I couldn't stand the 2 speed transmission in the Taycan and couldn't stand that it was a bit slower to 60 than my old Model 3 AWD+ (detuned 3P + 50 hp boost) let alone all recent Model S/X. The Taycan handling/braking is as many light years ahead of Plaid S (in Plaid/sport/chill modes) as the acceleration of Plaid S is ahead of Taycan (even Turbo S), but Plaid S in track mode brings the handling of the Tesla at least halfway back to that of the far better sorted Porsche. If I could get that track mode feel without all the cooling noise and keep it how the car starts each time I get in I'd be thrilled. Give me something akin to Porsche's excellent ($500 option) Electric Sport Sound that is extremely well tied into acceleration, load, and speed, and I'd only be missing the nice massaging seats and cooler styling my old Taycan had...

Reactions: SDRick and Turboz3
That’s exactly what I would like. I keep my GTR in track mode on the street as I like a tight feel all the time. But since it’s just on the street it does not need the extra cooling. Plus don’t turn off all the nav functions as well. I am sure this is wishful thinking though.

Reactions: bruce3
That’s exactly what I would like. I keep my GTR in track mode on the street as I like a tight feel all the time. But since it’s just on the street it does not need the extra cooling. Plus don’t turn off all the nav functions as well. I am sure this is wishful thinking though.
Just need to find a hook for Elon, as he is easy prey to all sorts of crazy conspiracy theories, and is more than happy to spend lots of energy on crazy niche things most people don't use...

Now that Sapphire has stolen the Plaid crown for 0-60 and 1/4 mile, given the Plaid is some 600 pounds lighter (can't believe I'm touting a 4800lb car weight as a positive but it is for top tier performance EVs!), either Elon needs to unlock more power, change the hardware, or introduce some software trick that can give it an edge... Just making a daily track mode light tweak could be it! We just need to get the right influencers on it to get his attention!

Reactions: Turboz3
Just need to find a hook for Elon, as he is easy prey to all sorts of crazy conspiracy theories, and is more than happy to spend lots of energy on crazy niche things most people don't use...

Now that Sapphire has stolen the Plaid crown for 0-60 and 1/4 mile, given the Plaid is some 600 pounds lighter (can't believe I'm touting a 4800lb car weight as a positive but it is for top tier performance EVs!), either Elon needs to unlock more power, change the hardware, or introduce some software trick that can give it an edge... Just making a daily track mode light tweak could be it! We just need to get the right influencers on it to get his attention!
Supposedly the motors are capable of ~1200 HP but the battery isn’t. Would be great if the battery was capable and an OTA could give a boost.

Reactions: bruce3
Supposedly the motors are capable of ~1200 HP but the battery isn’t. Would be great if the battery was capable and an OTA could give a boost.
Might require minor hardware tweak to beat Sapphire, but, since I'm already an owner, I was not as much hoping for power boost as hoping we could just get some of the track mode tweaks into a daily driving mode along the lines of Chill, Sport, Plaid mode, maybe "Sport custom" that allows more granular setting of front/rear bias, regen, and traction settings... As long as they add a "traction control off" idiot light for any setting less than -2 there should be no real safety / regulatory risk.

Basically, I much prefer driving my Plaid S in track mode with heavy 90% RWD bias, but I'm not tracking it and don't want or need the fan noise blaring all the time. I guess 90% of my concern could be eliminated by it just adding another toggle for track mode that only begins cooling after approaching a certain lower threshold rather than spin them all up even when the car is completely cold.

Why, though?
It drives like a boring, safe, albeit very quick boat when in Plaid mode. It doesn't feel the slightest bit sporty in handling despite the incredible acceleration capability. And going to lowest / sportiest suspension and steering settings doesn't make it much better. I like the ability to steer with the accelerator as well as the steering wheel, and Track mode gives me that capability and just feels better apart from all the fan noise.

It drives like a boring, safe, albeit very quick boat when in Plaid mode. It doesn't feel the slightest bit sporty in handling despite the incredible acceleration capability. And going to lowest / sportiest suspension and steering settings doesn't make it much better. I like the ability to steer with the accelerator as well as the steering wheel, and Track mode gives me that capability and just feels better apart from all the fan noise.
Interesting.

If “sporty” handing to you means “power oversteer”, then you likely bought the wrong car, sorry to say…

Reactions: bllydia