Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Track Mode is Amazing!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you drive it full time in track mode for the improved braking and steering experience? I have yet to receive the update and I'm chomping at the bit.
Probably, but it also runs the cooling system cranked up (to either heat or cool the batteries/motors to ideal temperature), so it would use extra power above what you'd need to go to the grocery store. I, too, am waiting for it, but I have to wait until it makes it into the FSDBeta branch :/

Probably, but it also runs the cooling system cranked up (to either heat or cool the batteries/motors to ideal temperature), so it would use extra power above what you'd need to go to the grocery store. I, too, am waiting for it, but I have to wait until it makes it into the FSDBeta branch :/
Oh gosh, I forgot about the beta being the red headed step children. I guess I will have to wait about another month. :(

That's something that Tesla should address. Give us a Handling Mode, - a sort of not-quite-Track Mode, so we can still get some benefits without killing the battery.

To answer some questions, yes, you can drive with this full time, but you lose some features when it is turned on such as NAV search, cruise control, autopilot, and other items, it not meant for the street, but it's just fine on the street. Yes it eats more battery, I could care less though, as it will now be my new fun mode. The extra fan noise and drama adds to the experience; it's now an occasion to drive in this mode.

I have the 19's. The 21's have got to be even more amazing.

Yep agree 100% w the original poster. I had track mode with my P3+ so I'm pretty familiar with it, but it's even better on the Plaid in 2 key ways. First, the tightening of the suspension is much more evident on the Plaid. Air suspension vs. no air suspension I'm guessing. Second, torque vectoring wasn't possible in the P3+ with just one motor in the back. With the Plaid's two rear motors, more power can be sent to the outside wheel to "push" you around turns. It's a really surreal feeling. Like truly driving on rails. And yeah you can definitely use this around town, but the noisy fan and lack of AP makes it not practical for full time driving. Oh, and it turns on "Creep" which I dislike.

Don't see any explanation of the display e.g. what it's telling you. Probably obvious to real track hounds but not so much to a lay person luck enough to have this (me). I think I saw something like this on Nissan GTR's. G-forces and what else?

God I love this car!!! Best car I've ever owned! Of course I fully understand our red color increases overall speed and handling.

I just got 44.3 on LR last night, but not clear that it offers anything new.
It’s too bad the LR doesnt get it. While the Plaid is obviously next level, for the price and performance of the LR relative to the competition (BMW M series, etc), it’s definitely in the same class or higher, especially regarding price.

But I do understand they need to differentiate the Plaid, many have already said the Plaid is not worth the extra $$ for what you get. Maybe they’ll offer track mode as a paid upgrade to the LR at some point down the road… I’d pay $5K for it. When I sell my Golf R to get my LR, I’ll probably need to buy a cheap dedicated track car anyway. If I could purchase track mode for my LR, with a basic brake upgrade I might not have to buy a separate car to scratch my occasional track day itch…

Clearly Plaid is their top margin product. They will never want to offer same upgrades to the LR as it would reduce the plaid sales.

LR is cheaper for a reason and those who buy it usually value range over the performance. LR is no slouch anyway just not sure how many LR owners crave track performance 🤷🏽‍♂️

Reactions: SO16 and SoCal Buzz
Clearly Plaid is their top margin product. They will never want to offer same upgrades to the LR as it would reduce the plaid sales.

LR is cheaper for a reason and those who buy it usually value range over the performance. LR is no slouch anyway just not sure how many LR owners crave track performance 🤷🏽‍♂️
I agree with that. However, I’m hoping LR benefits from some trickle down features like better Sport suspension tuning (which clearly is very doable) and maybe a new Snow button for all 2021+ that changes traction control / regen behavior.

Reactions: rducharme
It’s too bad the LR doesnt get it. While the Plaid is obviously next level, for the price and performance of the LR relative to the competition (BMW M series, etc), it’s definitely in the same class or higher, especially regarding price.

But I do understand they need to differentiate the Plaid, many have already said the Plaid is not worth the extra $$ for what you get. Maybe they’ll offer track mode as a paid upgrade to the LR at some point down the road… I’d pay $5K for it. When I sell my Golf R to get my LR, I’ll probably need to buy a cheap dedicated track car anyway. If I could purchase track mode for my LR, with a basic brake upgrade I might not have to buy a separate car to scratch my occasional track day itch…

I also have an LR on order. Not sure I really care about track mode, but further control over the suspension and stability control would be nice to have. Maybe a "Sports driving mode" instead?

I had designs on tracking my Model 3P and had spots reserved in a couple of events, but COVID and life got in the way. I've done 20+ track events in the past with my previous 3 Audis...

Not sure that I'll be interested in taking the MSLR to the track though - just too dang big, I'm afraid...

Looks like 0-60 performance suffers in Track Mode, may be related to cooling the battery (rather than heating it up) for better endurance:

Also, had some fun with Track Mode today, tried to make a perfect circle, not quite. Amazing it can pull almost 1G in any direction though (and the roads were a little wet).

IMG_2330.jpeg

Also, I tried to see what max regen was in terms of G-force. I could get up to 0.3G of deceleration just with regen. Feels a bit stronger than non-Track Mode but not much.

IMG_2331.jpeg

Finally, I earlier thought they'd turned on Creep Mode in Track Mode but it just disables regen below 5MPH so you'll coast if you don't hit the brake. Hold Mode is not activated unless you proactively touch the brakes. Another poster noted this may be to avoid automatic brake hold on overheated brake rotors.

To answer some questions, yes, you can drive with this full time, but you lose some features when it is turned on such as NAV search, cruise control, autopilot, and other items, it not meant for the street, but it's just fine on the street. Yes it eats more battery, I could care less though, as it will now be my new fun mode. The extra fan noise and drama adds to the experience; it's now an occasion to drive in this mode.

I have the 19's. The 21's have got to be even more amazing.
What preset are you guys using when running on streets? Do you crank stability up to 10?

I definitely want to try the awesome mode but I don’t have experience in performance driving and the safety warning they put in the UI for not running it on streets is scary.

Yeah stay away from "Drift Preset" (Stability at -10) unless you really know what you're doing if on the streets. The "Race Preset" (Stability of 0) gives you a little more wheel spin than standard non-Track Mode but is doable if the roads are dry. On my excursion I posted above, the roads were a little wet and wheels spun too much for comfort, so I added a custom setting "Race With Full Stability" with Stability at +10 and that worked great. Still able to pull up to 1G in all directions with that.

IMG_2333.jpeg

Looks like 0-60 performance suffers in Track Mode, may be related to cooling the battery (rather than heating it up) for better endurance:

Also, had some fun with Track Mode today, tried to make a perfect circle, not quite. Amazing it can pull almost 1G in any direction though (and the roads were a little wet).

View attachment 753816

Also, I tried to see what max regen was in terms of G-force. I could get up to 0.3G of deceleration just with regen. Feels a bit stronger than non-Track Mode but not much.

View attachment 753818

Finally, I earlier thought they'd turned on Creep Mode in Track Mode but it just disables regen below 5MPH so you'll coast if you don't hit the brake. Hold Mode is not activated unless you proactively touch the brakes. Another poster noted this may be to avoid automatic brake hold on overheated brake rotors.
What do you do with the data this is showing you? Just fun to see how many G’s you’re pulling in a particular direction? I think Nissan GTR’s had this built into their displays. I do know folks can buy external device but unsure of what you do with the results.