Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid traction slips on launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, picked up my Plaid yesterday. It's incredible.

When I launch in plaid mode (not in drag strip mode--I haven't used that yet), I always lose traction at the very start of the launch. Basically it feels like the car is just too powerful for the tires to maintain contact with the road. Is that just how it is for everybody?

When I launch in plaid mode (not in drag strip mode--I haven't used that yet), I always lose traction at the very start of the launch. Basically it feels like the car is just too powerful for the tires to maintain contact with the road. Is that just how it is for everybody?
It's 1,000 horsepower on street tires. It's amazing the traction control can contain it to "the start of the launch". Yes it's normal.

Also what’s your ambient temperature? And what wheels do you have?

Anybody recently had plaid losing traction from hard launches? Ever since I got it in Jan I've never had any problem with a 0-60 launch. Didn't hear tires squeaking and seemed to go fast from a red light whenever outside temp was 50F-85F. Recently in the Texas summer with temps at 107, my car's tires make a slipping sound every time at launch and it doesn't go as fast. Talked to service advisor and they did a remote diagnostic, said car was fine, and stated that at 107 there's oil on the ground and AC fluid that will make it not ideal traction.

Today it dropped to 88 degrees and I tried many launches and still the same thing. Either not enough power, or tires slip and it doesn't feel fast either way. My Plaid is at 8,000 miles and front tires 6"/32" and rear tires 7"/32". Taking it in for service next week