Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Use washers.
Normally I would recommend against this, but because the wheels are NOT hubcentric (although I'm not sure why they aren't) and Tesla is relying on the studs and conical lug nuts to center the wheels, I don't see a negative. Only possible drawback is that the torque the wheels apply to the studs is further out and more direct on the lugs. Even though there is no mechanism for centering the wheel on the hub, just having the wheel pulled tight against the hub offers some friction.

So, RussZTT, you lowered and used washers to space out the wheels?

Normally I would recommend against this, but because the wheels are NOT hubcentric (although I'm not sure why they aren't) and Tesla is relying on the studs and conical lug nuts to center the wheels, I don't see a negative. Only possible drawback is that the torque the wheels apply to the studs is further out and more direct on the lugs. Even though there is no mechanism for centering the wheel on the hub, just having the wheel pulled tight against the hub offers some friction.

So, RussZTT, you lowered and used washers to space out the wheels?
No, the subject is about the vibrations at lower speeds. The washers I was speaking about is using them behind the camber arms instead of the N2itive camber arms, not to push the wheels out more.

Yeah I’m going to grab a Highland for the night to try out. Leaning towards the sedan
Test drove one at my recent service drop-off. It is nice, but not Model S nice. If you want some of the more "luxurious" features (instrument cluster, air suspension, etc), the S still reigns supreme. Service advisor called it a "S-lite" and that mostly true. Was extremely quiet. They bring that to the Y and I might consider it.