Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reread the first post. I didn't realize that you feel the vibration in the wheel. I definitely don't feel it in the yoke. I thought maybe I felt something from the accelerator pedal, but I doubt it. I've tried replicating it but haven't felt it in my car yet. Mf452 vin. I'll see if I can get under there and read the part numbers from my drive axles

Reactions: jebinc
Driveline vibration saga continued (aka, Update) -

Dropped my Plaid off at 7:45am this morning (Bellevue, WA SC), and was greeted at my car by the Sr. Service manager and shop manager - They came out to the car before I even got out of it (long story)! Good thing I brought two dozen "Top Pot" donuts with me!

1. Shop manager and I took a drive to confirm vibration. He said he has felt this before in earlier Plaids he drove, but I was the first in his shop to bring it in. I shared the TMC history and let him know more were coming to his shop the first week in December. He wasn't surprised, as he was expecting this. He will reach out to Tesla Engineering, so I guess I'm the test case. I shared with him that I'm taking a VIN poll on TMC, to help isolate the VIN range affected with this vibration. Please visit this thread and vote, if you have the issue described below (as I reported to the SC).

2. We also talked about HV pack replacements, and he said he has done two Plaid's already. No issue like this with mine, however.

3. The first thing he is going to do is to rule out bent rims; get this, by installing 21s on it! He doesn't think this is the problem, but needs to be able to tell the mothership what he already ruled out!

4. After 30 minutes of chit-chatting and driving, I left in a low mileage Raven, same color as my Plaid - nice touch.

As a reminder, description of the issue:

• Vibration felt in accelerator pedal; passenger’s also feel it on the floor and through the console.
  • Occurs: between 38 – 58+ mph
  • Conditions: Constant speed (e.g., holding 43-47 mph +/-), or under very slight acceleration in this range, especially after transition from regen (green bar) to slight acceleration (bit of gray bar)
  • Frequency: Occurs more than 50% of the time; varies in intensity from drive to drive
  • Started: Developed around the 2000 mile odo mark (for me)
  • “Feels” more of an electrical issue (DU, inverter, controller of some sort) than mechanical, but Tesla SC “supposedly” replaced half shafts and did a 4-wheel alignment (Did not fix the problem)…
  • Not tires as condition existed with delivered summer tires and Tesla Bellevue SC installed all season Continentals
  • Not alignment as car tracks fine, although yoke is not centered; now skewed slightly right (after Renton SC visit).

Reactions: clayton006

Dropped my Plaid off at 7:45am this morning (Bellevue, WA SC), and was greeted at my car by the Sr. Service manager and shop manager - They came out to the car before I even got out of it (long story)! Good thing I brought two dozen "Top Pot" donuts with me!

1. Shop manager and I took a drive to confirm vibration. He said he has felt this before in earlier Plaids he drove, but I was the first in his shop to bring it in. I shared the TMC history and let him know more were coming to his shop the first week in December. He wasn't surprised, as he was expecting this. He will reach out to Tesla Engineering, so I guess I'm the test case. I shared with him that I'm taking a VIN poll on TMC, to help isolate the VIN range affected with this vibration. Please visit this thread and vote, if you have the issue described below (as I reported to the SC).

2. We also talked about HV pack replacements, and he said he has done two Plaid's already. No issue like this with mine, however.

3. The first thing he is going to do is to rule out bent rims; get this, by installing 21s on it! He doesn't think this is the problem, but needs to be able to tell the mothership what he already ruled out!

4. After 30 minutes of chit-chatting and driving, I left in a low mileage Raven, same color as my Plaid - nice touch.

• Vibration felt in accelerator pedal; passenger’s also feel it on the floor and through the console.
  • Conditions: Constant speed (e.g., holding 43-47 mph +/-), or under very slight acceleration in this range, especially after transition from regen (green bar) to slight acceleration (bit of gray bar)
  • Frequency: Occurs more than 50% of the time; varies in intensity from drive to drive
  • “Feels” more of an electrical issue (DU, inverter, controller of some sort) than mechanical, but Tesla SC “supposedly” replaced half shafts and did a 4-wheel alignment (Did not fix the problem)…
  • Not tires as condition existed with delivered summer tires and Tesla Bellevue SC installed all season Continentals
  • Not alignment as car tracks fine, although yoke is not centered; now skewed slightly right (after Renton SC visit).
Thanks for the extensive update on this. Once I get mine I’ll get some miles on it and report back as well.

Hello all; still looking for more people with the above vibration issue to record their VIN in the linked poll thread! Thank you!

I can acutally hear it when the vibration happens. It does sound harmonic in nature.

@Jameslook Please cast your vin vote in the vibration pole. Thank you.

Ive got a big update on this:

The tech foreman at my local service shop is rated at 3# in the country. You can tell when talking with him, he has his finger on the pulse of all things going on with these cars. He immediatly knew of the vibration issued when I questioned him.. He stated its related to the torque application of the front drive motor. He said Tesla is aware of this situation and is supposedly going to relase a firmware update in the future which has to do with the torque vectoring of this motor unit. He said it is a non-issue and doesnt affect anything.. There is no current fix, and hes been instructed from above to just let customers know its being looked into by engineers.

Also he mentioned the common chirping of wheels when turning hard, and as I previously posted, its related to the performance aspect of the suspension.. The camber is increased as your turn the wheel and on smooth or wet surfaces, the tires simply slide a bit causing the skipping / choppy feel.. its a non-issue as well and is considered part of the performance of the car.. this is also the same on many other high end vehicles..

The tech foreman at my local service shop is rated at 3# in the country. You can tell when talking with him, he has his finger on the pulse of all things going on with these cars. He immediatly knew of the vibration issued when I questioned him.. He stated its related to the torque application of the front drive motor. He said Tesla is aware of this situation and is supposedly going to relase a firmware update in the future which has to do with the torque vectoring of this motor unit. He said it is a non-issue and doesnt affect anything.. There is no current fix, and hes been instructed from above to just let customers know its being looked into by engineers.

@Rambino Also he mentioned the common chirping of wheels when turning hard, and as I previously posted, its related to the performance aspect of the suspension.. The camber is increased as your turn the wheel and on smooth or wet surfaces, the tires simply slide a bit causing the skipping / choppy feel.. its a non-issue as well and is considered part of the performance of the car.. this is also the same on many other high end vehicles..
@Rambino Thanks for sharing, but as we all know, they will tell us anything to have us drive away - if they have no idea or fix. I bet the 3#, who had such great insight, didn’t have any (i.e., insight) when it comes to timing for the fix, right?! Rhetorical question!

I do appreciate your sharing the info you were told, as the more we share, the better off we shall all be!

Edit: For me, the vibration is most noticeable on straight smooth roads, and at speed. Torque vectoring shouldn’t even be involved.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: croman and WilliamG

Also he mentioned the common chirping of wheels when turning hard, and as I previously posted, its related to the performance aspect of the suspension.. The camber is increased as your turn the wheel and on smooth or wet surfaces, the tires simply slide a bit causing the skipping / choppy feel.. its a non-issue as well and is considered part of the performance of the car.. this is also the same on many other high end vehicles..
The second part (wheels turning) is well known in the performance-car world. Been in so many sports cars/supercars where this is a factor in cold weather. Non-issue.

The vibration, - not sure I’m convinced (but am willing to be). I mean, my car didn’t start off doing this, so why would it start?

The second part (wheels turning) is well known in the performance-car world. Been in so many sports cars/supercars where this is a factor in cold weather. Non-issue.

The vibration, - not sure I’m convinced (but am willing to be). I mean, my car didn’t start off doing this, so why would it start?
Mine didn’t either. And, conditions of occurrence don’t align well with when torque vectoring would be active.

Lastly, Tesla has been using my car as a “test bed” with Engineering for more than a week, because the mothership doesn’t know root cause. I left a detailed update on this in the delivery thread as well. Going to go with, “Myth busted” on 3#’s line of….

And, conditions of occurrence don’t align well with when torque vectoring would be active.
Torque vectoring would be happening 100% of the time the vehicle is moving. It has to coordinate the motor speed, and torque, between the three motors. That means you have to account for road imperfections that would cause the wheels/motors to spin at a different speed for the same vehicle movement. You say it happens mostly on smooth roads, so it may be that they don't have it balanced well enough for that. (This is the first time that they are using PM motors in both the front and rear of the vehicle.)

Of course, then you would think it would act identical on all vehicles driven the same way on the same road, which it doesn't sound like it does.

Reactions: Rambino and jebinc
Torque vectoring would be happening 100% of the time the vehicle is moving. It has to coordinate the motor speed, and torque, between the three motors. That means you have to account for road imperfections that would cause the wheels/motors to spin at a different speed for the same vehicle movement. You say it happens mostly on smooth roads, so it may be that they don't have it balanced well enough for that. (This is the first time that they are using PM motors in both the front and rear of the vehicle.)

Of course, then you would think it would act identical on all vehicles driven the same way on the same road, which it doesn't sound like it does.
Right. And it doesn’t explain why it’s not there from the get go. The most vocal of us here - @jebinc , drove my car. It did NOT have the vibration. Not 20 minutes later on the way home, vibration present and correct - and consistent now. Always there at 43mph.

Right. The “3#” story doesn’t really hang together, based on all reported conditions and occurrences. And, some cars it’s intermittent and others it’s 100% of the time in that mph range. Not something firmware related, most likely. A controller, DU, sure.

Last edited: