Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know if refreshed model X and MXP owners are also reporting the same vibration issue, or is it, “unique to the Model S, specifically”?

@WilliamG
Model X was permanently vibrating under acceleration its whole life. If it will get this sort of vibrations as well it will be a double win LOL

I have seen a few X Plaid in Bellevue already, need to catch one of them and ask )))

• Funny
Reactions: WilliamG and jebinc
Is this vibration only affecting Plaid? Or is long range affected as well?
I might have it. Maybe not. It is not significant enough for me to complain about it or notice it or if it is from the road. I do think someone on here with a LR reported is significantly. I would likely say it is affecting Plaids more due to the acceleration power.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc and AMPd
I might have it. Maybe not. It is not significant enough for me to complain about it or notice it or if it is from the road. I do think someone on here with a LR reported is significantly. I would likely say it is affecting Plaids more due to the acceleration power.
Only insomuch the Plaid maybe tweaks something in the driveline more easily to cause this issue, I’d guess.

I started noticing a shimmy around 40 after 4k miles. Took the car in and they said they couldn't notice anything. The shimmy is slight so I'll wait to see if it gets worse. They tightened up everything behind the wheel which I think helped slightly. The shimmy is still there but not consistently so I can't tell them how to make it happen. Anyone else hear what it may be? Don't think it's hurting anything but I can't ignore it now I know it's there.

I started noticing a shimmy around 40 after 4k miles. Took the car in and they said they couldn't notice anything. The shimmy is slight so I'll wait to see if it gets worse. They tightened up everything behind the wheel which I think helped slightly. The shimmy is still there but not consistently so I can't tell them how to make it happen. Anyone else hear what it may be? Don't think it's hurting anything but I can't ignore it now I know it's there.
It'll get worse with mileage. Mine is really noticable when merging onto the highway

@WilliamG “This vibration is a normal characteristic of the Plaid model, spacifically…. No further repairs are recommended” - Telsa Engineering

Instead, ^^^ THIS ^^^ is what you get.

BOHICA! 🤣

Yet if you ask them to put in writing that it is safe and won't cause metal fatigue on suspension components and eventual failure, they won't. They may tell you verbally but they'll never say it's safe in writing.

Reactions: jebinc
So I didn't realize until reading through the thread that this is NOT the same issue that previous generations experienced. The previous issue was related to the angle of cv joints exceeding the design limits which results in bent splines. I had my half shafts replaced 4 times (on 5th set when you include the originals) and I don't have the revised shafts that supposedly fix the problem. The first 3 times the shudder re-appeared within a few thousand miles. The 4th set, which was done at 70K miles (currently at 133K miles) has lasted and the shudder has not returned for me but that's almost certainly because as soon as I got home and before I even tested them at hard acceleration, I lowered the car 1". The problem has never returned.

So nobody with this issue on the Plaid sees an improvement at the lowest suspension setting?

There are no reports yet of the X Plaid doing this.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
So I didn't realize until reading through the thread that this is NOT the same issue that previous generations experienced. The previous issue was related to the angle of cv joints exceeding the design limits which results in bent splines. I had my half shafts replaced 4 times (on 5th set when you include the originals) and I don't have the revised shafts that supposedly fix the problem. The first 3 times the shudder re-appeared within a few thousand miles. The 4th set, which was done at 70K miles (currently at 133K miles) has lasted and the shudder has not returned for me but that's almost certainly because as soon as I got home and before I even tested them at hard acceleration, I lowered the car 1". The problem has never returned.

So nobody with this issue on the Plaid sees an improvement at the lowest suspension setting?

There are no reports yet of the X Plaid doing this.
What did you use to lower your car?

I heard n2itive has a good kit that lowers the car as well as fixes the shudder issue.