Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently from about the 15 pages of this thread I read, my LR was a unicorn. Smooth as silk at all speeds. My Plaid has the vibration exactly in the 38-42 mph range. I noticed it for the first time yesterday going up a hill.

While I haven't read through all the posts I want to make sure I understand it and maybe help others with a recap.

Possible root cause:
From what I read, it seems like the issue is likely with the front motor. Could be the half shafts, their angle or maybe some synchronicity problem between the front motor and rears. Is this an accurate summation?

Possible solution:
Run a lower ride height if possible? Track mode if with a Plaid with 100% rear bias. Has anyone tried something other than 50/50 or 0/100? Anything else I am missing?

Running with lowering links is not an option where I live. The city of Dallas has some incredible steep approach and departure angle where there are sort of drainage areas along the sides. So when you cross some of these roads, I literally have to crawl across slow enough with the suspension on max height (which limits me to 15 mph anyway) to not slam my nose while crossing.

If I am on the next level down from max height, my nose will be grinding into the ground on a lot of them. So lowering links aren't very viable for me. Not mention some of the highway are such crap, that I've been very close to the nose hitting when on low at 60 mph.

Then with the lower ride height, I then will have an even worse camber issue. We all know where that leads.
Yes. Seems to be a problem with the half shafts. They installed a new "engineering sample" set of half shafts in my car and the vibration is gone, so far.

I would love to know what that is. Mine was creaking on rear driver’s side and now it went away the day I took it into service. Figures.
Mine is creaking from the front suspension. They are really struggling to find the source. First they thought it was the sway bar bushings, but that didn't fix it. Now they are trying the radiator mounts? Something squeaks when the frame torques left<-->right, like going up a driveway entrance at an angle.

I had my front halfshafts replaced for the hard acceleration shudder. Now I have this vibration that feels like a gas car now when accelerating. It wasn't there before they replaced it. Hope this helps someone
I've also had my 2022 MS Plaid front half shafts replaced. I brought up the vibration issue and the lead tech went from a drive with me. Spent probably 10 minutes driving around on difference terrain. He felt the vibration between the 35-45 MPH zone when moderately accelerating but couldn't quite put his finger on whether it was just normal road vibrations or truly an axle issue. I asked him to give it a hard acceleration 0-60 and he did and that's when it started making the vibrating and clunking noises. They replaced both front half shafts and now the car is just like the new showroom models I test drove. On cold start, the accelerator/yoke will exhibit a slightly different kind of vibration, but once I pass 45 mph the vibration does not come back until the next cold start.

I've also had my 2022 MS Plaid front half shafts replaced. I brought up the vibration issue and the lead tech went from a drive with me. Spent probably 10 minutes driving around on difference terrain. He felt the vibration between the 35-45 MPH zone when moderately accelerating but couldn't quite put his finger on whether it was just normal road vibrations or truly an axle issue. I asked him to give it a hard acceleration 0-60 and he did and that's when it started making the vibrating and clunking noises. They replaced both front half shafts and now the car is just like the new showroom models I test drove. On cold start, the accelerator/yoke will exhibit a slightly different kind of vibration, but once I pass 45 mph the vibration does not come back until the next cold start.
That sounds good. When did you have the shafts replaced?

That sounds good. When did you have the shafts replaced?
I got them replaced about 2 weeks ago and have put almost 700 miles through it with hard accelerations and speeds in the mid 100's. Lost 1 mm of tread since the replacement 🥲. I only drive the car in low suspension FWIW.

Wondering if the N2itive links are necessary with the supposed new "fixed" half shafts? I'm a bit hesitant to lower due inconvenience of steep driveways and speedbumps that I routinely face.

• Informative
Reactions: Dayreg and aerodyne
I got them replaced about 2 weeks ago and have put almost 700 miles through it with hard accelerations and speeds in the mid 100's. Lost 1 mm of tread since the replacement 🥲. I only drive the car in low suspension FWIW.

Wondering if the N2itive links are necessary with the supposed new "fixed" half shafts? I'm a bit hesitant to lower due inconvenience of steep driveways and speedbumps that I routinely face.
Hmm. I wonder if you got the same newer ones that I got back at the end of March. Can you copy and paste the part numbers they installed on your service invoice?

Are you saying that despite replacing the half shaft, you're still experiencing vibrations during cold starts?

Hmm. I wonder if you got the same newer ones that I got back at the end of March. Can you copy and paste the part numbers they installed on your service invoice?
HALFSHAFT ASSY, FR, LEFT HAND (1420113-00-B)
HALFSHAFT ASSY, FR, RIGHT HAND (1420119-00-B)

Are you saying that despite replacing the half shaft, you're still experiencing vibrations during cold starts?
Yes that's correct. I don't recall if it was here or Reddit but others have said the newer Model S's with the newly engineered half shafts have vibration but only once at cold start. Once it "warms up" the vibration is on longer present. I've also noticed this on the test drive cars I've driven. Vibrates initially at the first acceleration through 35-45 MPH and then isn't there anymore for the rest of the drive.

I'll need some more hot days to test, but I think the initial vibration is less on the hottest days and more noticeable on cold mornings with these new half shafts.

HALFSHAFT ASSY, FR, LEFT HAND (1420113-00-B)
HALFSHAFT ASSY, FR, RIGHT HAND (1420119-00-B)

Yes that's correct. I don't recall if it was here or Reddit but others have said the newer Model S's with the newly engineered half shafts have vibration but only once at cold start. Once it "warms up" the vibration is on longer present. I've also noticed this on the test drive cars I've driven. Vibrates initially at the first acceleration through 35-45 MPH and then isn't there anymore for the rest of the drive.

I'll need some more hot days to test, but I think the initial vibration is less on the hottest days and more noticeable on cold mornings with these new half shafts.
Well, interesting that it's still the same old part number that they've installed in my car three times. Let's hope it's fixed now....

I have an August 2022 build MSP. My vibration is there when the car is sits overnight or while I'm at work. Once the car warms up, the vibration seems to diminish or goes away all together.
That's a different vibration, as mentioned. Affects only 2022+ cars, and nobody knows why. It goes away after a minute or two so it's not a big deal. The ~38mph vibration is a persistent problem.

That's a different vibration, as mentioned. Affects only 2022+ cars, and nobody knows why. It goes away after a minute or two so it's not a big deal. The ~38mph vibration is a persistent problem.
What month build is your Plaid? I have a April build 2022 and I don't get the persistent vibrations after the initial cold start, though it may be too early. I'll check back in if vibration develops again once I put some more miles on the car post-service.

For those complaining about lowering the car you do realize you have an air suspension you can simply raise it in the few areas you need more clearance. It's not like the vehicle has a fixed suspension height. With that said I'm on stock height as I've learned to live with it. Road in friend's Plaid with the N-Link and yes it's almost 100% gone that vibration just as an FYI.

Reactions: blkswn
For me, if I put in lowering links, it would be obviously lower on the highest setting. The problem with some of the streets where I live, the highest setting is barely enough to get through without scraping the nose. I have to literally drive about 2-3 mph, with the car on the highest setting, to keep from grounding out the nose.

I've also encountered some areas on the highway, when on low, that it felt like there was barely enough clearance with how crappy the road was. It was one I wasn't familiar with. I'd hate to have grind something at higher speeds.

If it is the half shaft angle, it seems like adjusting the motor height and subsequent angle would be the best option long term with the least compromise. This assumes of course it is even a viable option and wouldn't require a huge amount of work. <aybe metal plates could be made to new motor mounts with closer to the optimum geometry. Definitely not holding my breath for Tesla to do it but maybe the aftermarket can step in.