Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my 4th service visit on this issue, they finally diagnosed and replaced the half-shafts.

Apparently it’s a “known characteristic” and “hard acceleration is not advised for the first few minutes of every drive” to minimize vibration 😂

On my 4th service visit on this issue, they finally diagnosed and replaced the half-shafts.

Apparently it’s a “known characteristic” and “hard acceleration is not advised for the first few minutes of every drive” to minimize vibration 😂

Interesting that they've put that advisory statement in there. After my fourth replacement set I credited the issue not returning even 50K miles later when I finally sold my S to lowering the car an inch but I also started not driving it hard until I'd been driving at least 10 minutes to warm things up and get them to their static clearances.

The problem is apparently really common on the MXP as well but I've had no hint of it in the 15K miles since taking delivery. Again, I only accelerate hard on the lowest setting and only after I've been driving for at least 10 minutes.

I have a vibration around 40mph as well. It's really just a slight annoyance.

Is it worth filing a service request for it? Is there a chance that in trying to fix the issue I get the 80mph vibration? That one sounds horribly dangerous and unsettling.

I haven't gotten the 80 mph vibration after 11 visits to try and fix the 40 mph vibration. However, there is a chance they break something else while trying to fix it. And so far there doesn't seem to be any fix. Unfortunately, the 40-50 mph vibration gets worse over time until it's pretty strong and annoying.

I haven't gotten the 80 mph vibration after 11 visits to try and fix the 40 mph vibration. However, there is a chance they break something else while trying to fix it. And so far there doesn't seem to be any fix. Unfortunately, the 40-50 mph vibration gets worse over time until it's pretty strong and annoying.

How many miles do you have on your car? I'm at 20k and the vibration is quite minor.

The vibration with no fix keeps me from buying a plaid. Maybe on the next “refresh” they will get it right.
Well, you are missing out on a pretty amazing car. My LR didn't have it at all. My Plaid has the 38-42 mph. It has to be very lightly loaded throttle. I had never even noticed until I happened to be going up a very slight hill (might have raised the nose more) and was very gently accelerating. This was the first time I even had an idea of what people were talking about here in over 10k miles.

That was about 6 weeks ago and I haven't encountered it again. Not to mention I've been WAY up in triple-digit speeds in Mexico and the car has been as planted as can be and has absolutely no vibrations. It feels even more stable after the track pack brake upgrades.

From what I've read that turning tightly at low speeds while accelerating hard can exacerbate this, I am trying to avoid this use case. Since it the recent input seems to indicate it the halfshafts need time to warm up as well, I'll be cautious about that as well. No different than my ICE needing the oil temps to warm up before getting on the car hard. If that will minimize or eliminate the issue, then I am fine with that.

The good of the rest of the car outweighs all the other issues. My build quality is pretty good, not perfect but really pretty good. No major rattles. Once I figured out not to slam the rear seats into their lock, they have been very quiet. All in all, it is a screaming performance bargain and if something happens to mine, I'll buy the same exact car again.

Well, you are missing out on a pretty amazing car. My LR didn't have it at all. My Plaid has the 38-42 mph. It has to be very lightly loaded throttle. I had never even noticed until I happened to be going up a very slight hill (might have raised the nose more) and was very gently accelerating. This was the first time I even had an idea of what people were talking about here in over 10k miles.

That was about 6 weeks ago and I haven't encountered it again. Not to mention I've been WAY up in triple-digit speeds in Mexico and the car has been as planted as can be and has absolutely no vibrations. It feels even more stable after the track pack brake upgrades.

From what I've read that turning tightly at low speeds while accelerating hard can exacerbate this, I am trying to avoid this use case. Since it the recent input seems to indicate it the halfshafts need time to warm up as well, I'll be cautious about that as well. No different than my ICE needing the oil temps to warm up before getting on the car hard. If that will minimize or eliminate the issue, then I am fine with that.

The good of the rest of the car outweighs all the other issues. My build quality is pretty good, not perfect but really pretty good. No major rattles. Once I figured out not to slam the rear seats into their lock, they have been very quiet. All in all, it is a screaming performance bargain and if something happens to mine, I'll buy the same exact car again.

jealous of the no vibration. My 2023 is going in for the FOURTH time for the 80 mph vibration Thursday

• Informative
Reactions: DayTrippin

That’s straight trash. Even under mild or light acceleration after driving for a few minutes the vibration is there. Feel it all the time on the freeway.