Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right. The “3#” story doesn’t really hang together, based on all reported conditions and occurrences. And, some cars it’s intermittent and others it’s 100% of the time in that mph range. Not something firmware related, most likely. A controller, DU, sure.
Also, strange that some cars have it and some cars don't. Mine doesn't seem to have it, but I only have 600 miles on my car so far.

I've always thought it could be solved with a firmware update. It always felt like a throttle curve issue around this range where the front motor is either pulling, or not pulling at the same speed as the rear.
Same firmware, same hardware, yet very different results from vehicle to vehicle. Seems more likely the variability is a part manufacturing or design defect, to me.

@Rambino Thanks for sharing, but as we all know, they will tell us anything to have us drive away - if they have no idea or fix. I bet the 3#, who had such great insight, didn’t have any (i.e., insight) when it comes to timing for the fix, right?! Rhetorical question!

I do appreciate your sharing the info you were told, as the more we share, the better off we shall all be!

Edit: For me, the vibration is most noticeable on straight smooth roads, and at speed. Torque vectoring shouldn’t even be involved.

Well as mentioned, my tech is up there, master trainer, ranked 3rd in the US etc... and you can tell he really knows his stuff and loves his job.. Of course he doesnt know the time for fix, but he has spoken with the Tesla engineers about this issue as others have brought it to him.. He was very adament that its related to the torque application and vectoring of the front drive unit.. He went into further detail, but I dont remember most of the technical jargon.. He also mentioned that other fixes you have tried, when I brought up axle shafts and such, and he simply shook his head and said that has nothing to do with it.. He was told by the engieering team they are working on a firmware fix in the future..

Im content with his answer, and will just live with the minor vibration.. it affects nothing on the car.. and tbh coming from a gas engine which has way more noises and vibrations, this is very acceptable to me to live with..

Reactions: VM0412
Well as mentioned, my tech is up there, master trainer, ranked 3rd in the US etc... and you can tell he really knows his stuff and loves his job.. Of course he doesnt know the time for fix, but he has spoken with the Tesla engineers about this issue as others have brought it to him.. He was very adament that its related to the torque application and vectoring of the front drive unit.. He went into further detail, but I dont remember most of the technical jargon.. He also mentioned that other fixes you have tried, when I brought up axle shafts and such, and he simply shook his head and said that has nothing to do with it.. He was told by the engieering team they are working on a firmware fix in the future..

Im content with his answer, and will just live with the minor vibration.. it affects nothing on the car.. and tbh coming from a gas engine which has way more noises and vibrations, this is very acceptable to me to live with..

I haven't noticed it, so I'm ok with the current level of vibrations. What I do find really annoying is the HVAC whistle and the buzzing from my speakers when nothing is playing. Those things become much more annoying once you have removed all the other noise sources.

@jebinc how bad is your vibration? It must be worse for plaid.

I used to notice it more early on in my LR. But nowadays I really don’t feel it at all. This is a couple updates later…
@VM0412 Seems to have gotten a bit worse for me, and now also notice it at 55-60 mph, steady driving - 100% of the time in those conditions.
@WilliamG

Edit: Now running on 2021.40.6

Reactions: VM0412
Ok, mine developed it now after 800 miles.
Ok, mine developed it now after 800 miles.
@n2mb_racing VIN range again? Please be sure to register your vibrating vin here.

Tesla is lurking this Thread. Apparently, there is a new Plaid half shaft that is fixing the issue. They installed the old S & X shafts in these cars and they had issues. Buddy of mine got his replaced and fixed the issue. I have an appointment scheduled.

Reactions: n2mb_racing
They installed the old S & X shafts in these cars and they had issues. Buddy of mine got his replaced and fixed the issue. I have an appointment scheduled.
Do you have the part numbers for the new ones?

Of course my understanding is that the refresh S came with new half shafts, and that those were also put in pre-refresh Ss to fix the vibration issue they were having. But, maybe there is a third version now.

Do you have the part numbers for the new ones?

Of course my understanding is that the refresh S came with new half shafts, and that those were also put in pre-refresh Ss to fix the vibration issue they were having. But, maybe there is a third version now.
My Plaid had new "Gen 2" half shafts installed last month. Did nothing to fix the problem. ZERO.

• Informative
Reactions: theslimshadyist