Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211213-212636.png
    Screenshot_20211213-212636.png
    490.7 KB · Views: 108
I haven't noticed it, so I'm ok with the current level of vibrations. What I do find really annoying is the HVAC whistle and the buzzing from my speakers when nothing is playing. Those things become much more annoying once you have removed all the other noise sources.
Hi there, I have a 2016 Model S. I noticed that if I put my phone too close to the screen it caused interference and I hear feedback in the speakers. Try moving your phone off the wireless charger and see if it goes away.
I used to place my phone in the cubbie slot under the touchscreen.

Hi there, I have a 2016 Model S. I noticed that if I put my phone too close to the screen it caused interference and I hear feedback in the speakers. Try moving your phone off the wireless charger and see if it goes away.
I used to place my phone in the cubbie slot under the touchscreen.
Thanks. It turns out the buzzing is coming from the yoke, not the speakers. Stupid yoke.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Nice! Do you have the part numbers for what they replaced? Can you post a copy of your service invoice, so we can show it to our SAs?
I had the gen 2 (-B) half shafts and nuts replaced at the first SC visit. Fixed nothing. Then it spent nine more days getting wrenched on at another SC. Again, not fixed and confirmed in writing it’s not fix, by Tesla.

@WilliamG @GroovaEV

I had the gen 2 (-B) half shafts and nuts replaced at the first SC visit. Fixed nothing. Then it spent nine more days getting wrenched on at another SC. Again, not fixed and confirmed in writing it’s not fix, by Tesla.

@WilliamG @GroovaEV
Sorry to hear that it is still vibrating! I was referring to @smf72
I'm hoping they can do whatever they did to his car on mine.

Perhaps there are sloppy tolerances between car bodies that are causing some cars to vibrate and not others? It is quite strange.

Sorry to hear that it is still vibrating! I was referring to @smf72
I'm hoping they can do whatever they did to his car on mine.

Perhaps there are sloppy tolerances between car bodies that are causing some cars to vibrate and not others? It is quite strange.
@n2mb_racing Right. I bet his invoice is the same as mine, so there’s something more going on if his really isn’t still vibrating.

@WilliamG
0F528A1C-79E6-4162-A07D-4D769A7E42A6.png

@cytranic posted my service order.......all I know from the SC and Fremont is that these new half shafts are labeled Plaid as opposed to S. This is my second set going back to June as my car is VIN 035. I can promise mine is 100 percent cured not sure if they did anything else but I have been hammering on it and driving slowly through the 38 MPH range and it is gone....as you can see they also verifeied it is fixed.
IMG_AB2EB552CA3F-1.jpeg

Last edited:
@cytranic posted my service order.......all I know from the SC and Fremont is that these new half shafts are labeled Plaid as opposed to S. This is my second set going back to June as my car is VIN 035. I can promise mine is 100 percent cured not sure if they did anything else but I have been hammering on it and driving slowly through the 38 MPH range and it is gone
@smf72 Yes, the Plaid ones are different. I confirmed that as well, when mine were being put in. I checked your invoice, posted yesterday by @cytranic, and the parts installed are identical part numbers installed in mine, to no effect. So, something else is afoot.

Glad yours isn’t currently vibrating. Please let us all know when/if it does.

Reactions: smf72
@smf72 Yes, the Plaid ones are different. I confirmed that as well, when mine were being put in. I checked your invoice, posted yesterday by @cytranic, and the parts installed are identical part numbers installed in mine, to no effect. So, something else is afoot.

Glad yours isn’t currently vibrating. Please let us all know when/if it does.
I will be the first one back complaining as this is the second time they have been replaced but almost 2 weeks later nothing at all :) I keep waiting for it to come back and am empty handed🤞

Reactions: cwanja and jebinc
Well as mentioned, my tech is up there, master trainer, ranked 3rd in the US etc... and you can tell he really knows his stuff and loves his job.. Of course he doesnt know the time for fix, but he has spoken with the Tesla engineers about this issue as others have brought it to him.. He was very adament that its related to the torque application and vectoring of the front drive unit.. He went into further detail, but I dont remember most of the technical jargon.. He also mentioned that other fixes you have tried, when I brought up axle shafts and such, and he simply shook his head and said that has nothing to do with it.. He was told by the engieering team they are working on a firmware fix in the future..

Im content with his answer, and will just live with the minor vibration.. it affects nothing on the car.. and tbh coming from a gas engine which has way more noises and vibrations, this is very acceptable to me to live with..

This seems like the most credible theory at this point given all the uncertainty around half shaft replacement being a resolution.

I picked up my Plaid on June 30th (VIN 430) and never noticed this issue until about a month ago - probably around 3k miles. I don't believe it existed prior to me noticing as I obsess over every little annoying noise in the cabin...of which there are plenty. The vibration is exactly as described by most - around 40 mph, +/-2 mph, there's an odd vibration coming from deep within the front of the car. I've dealt with tires/wheels out of balance before, that was my first thought but pretty quickly it seemed like something having to do with the drive units.

This seems like the most credible theory at this point given all the uncertainty around half shaft replacement being a resolution.

I picked up my Plaid on June 30th (VIN 430) and never noticed this issue until about a month ago - probably around 3k miles. I don't believe it existed prior to me noticing as I obsess over every little annoying noise in the cabin...of which there are plenty. The vibration is exactly as described by most - around 40 mph, +/-2 mph, there's an odd vibration coming from deep within the front of the car. I've dealt with tires/wheels out of balance before, that was my first thought but pretty quickly it seemed like something having to do with the drive units.
Not buying it, as that proposed root cause would have existed from day 1, and for the majority, the vibration arose after many miles.