Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI my plaid DID NOT have this issue the first few thousand miles but started the other day. I was able to duplicate it pretty much every time somewhere between 40-50. It was very slight but definitely didn't do that the first few thousand miles as I looked for it constantly. Anyway, I went to my service center yesterday for a couple other small issues and mentioned the vibration. A tech walked up as I was talking to service manager and knew immediately what I was talking about. He said only one other refresh has come in with it and it was a plaid. He took it for a short test drive to verify. Later they told me Tesla engineering asked them to replace both front half shafts and to send them the originals so they could inspect. Basically engineering is still trying to figure it out. They replaced with the part numbers referenced previously and the problem seems to be gone for now. The techs told me it could come back so it may not be the end all fix but I can't seem to duplicate it at the moment. We shall see. I'm not that confident and neither were they but it was very minor on my car and good for now.
@xEvoLveDx Thanks for the update/info! My SC refuses to do any more work on my Plaid.

@smf72

Reactions: xEvoLveDx
FYI my plaid DID NOT have this issue the first few thousand miles but started the other day. I was able to duplicate it pretty much every time somewhere between 40-50. It was very slight but definitely didn't do that the first few thousand miles as I looked for it constantly. Anyway, I went to my service center yesterday for a couple other small issues and mentioned the vibration. A tech walked up as I was talking to service manager and knew immediately what I was talking about. He said only one other refresh has come in with it and it was a plaid. He took it for a short test drive to verify. Later they told me Tesla engineering asked them to replace both front half shafts and to send them the originals so they could inspect. Basically engineering is still trying to figure it out. They replaced with the part numbers referenced previously and the problem seems to be gone for now. The techs told me it could come back so it may not be the end all fix but I can't seem to duplicate it at the moment. We shall see. I'm not that confident and neither were they but it was very minor on my car and good for now.
I'm frustrated that my service center didn't acknowledge the vibration was there. They tried to blame my suspension settings. I guess I'll wait until it gets worse or someone has a fix.

Bad news.... earlier today I was not able to duplicate the vibration after the half shaft replacements. This evening it came back and is easily twice as bad as it was before. Prior to the replacements, the vibration was VERY mild. Now it is much more obvious making me wish I had never complained about it :(

I'm not sure if temperature has anything to do with it but when I picked the car up after service it was in the 50s and everything was smooth... tested over and over. Now it is in the 30s and I can duplicate it every time by going around 45mph steady state, take foot off accelerator, then slightly back on the accelerator.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
Bad news.... earlier today I was not able to duplicate the vibration after the half shaft replacements. This evening it came back and is easily twice as bad as it was before. Prior to the replacements, the vibration was VERY mild. Now it is much more obvious making me wish I had never complained about it :(

I'm not sure if temperature has anything to do with it but when I picked the car up after service it was in the 50s and everything was smooth... tested over and over. Now it is in the 30s and I can duplicate it every time by going around 45mph steady state, take foot off accelerator, then slightly back on the accelerator.
Same thing happened to mine. Was worse days after having the shafts replaced. PoS.

So sorry to hear… On the plus side since it’s much worse hopefully service won’t ignore it as easily as they do others!

I'm frustrated that my service center didn't acknowledge the vibration was there. They tried to blame my suspension settings. I guess I'll wait until it gets worse or someone has a fix.
Tell them to lookup the engineering bulletin. Its a well-documented issue. Force them. Tell them you will continue to put in service requests until someone feels the vibration. Take the service manager for a ride.