Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welp, that was short lived. Vibration is back after 6 days albeit not as bad as it was previously. I just hope that it doesn't get any worse than it is now or I will be selling this mofo.
Well, that's not good. How many miles before it came back? Can't be many in 6 days.... I guess I won't bother pushing them to fix mine later this month. I should wait longer until they come up with a real fix.

I realize the cars are still under warranty, so it should be up to Tesla to fix this vibration issue. But has anyone tried taking their half shafts to a driveline or machine shop to have them properly balanced?
I imagine no one wants to pay for the work to remove the half shafts, balance, and reinstall them. I also think that if it was the half shafts being out of balance, they would vibrate immediately. It seems like something is moving or wearing in that changes the half shafts or their alignment and causes the vibration. Grease in the joints? Slop in the bearings? I don't have any good ideas.

I imagine no one wants to pay for the work to remove the half shafts, balance, and reinstall them. I also think that if it was the half shafts being out of balance, they would vibrate immediately. It seems like something is moving or wearing in that changes the half shafts or their alignment and causes the vibration. Grease in the joints? Slop in the bearings? I don't have any good ideas.
It seems the vibration is becoming a fairly common issue. I’m not a Plaid owner, yet. But if I was, and I was as frustrated as some here seem to be, I would at least talk to my service center about sending them out to be balanced.
This thread, and others like it, have turned me off from buying a Plaid.

It seems the vibration is becoming a fairly common issue. I’m not a Plaid owner, yet. But if I was, and I was as frustrated as some here seem to be, I would at least talk to my service center about sending them out to be balanced.
This thread, and others like it, have turned me off from buying a Plaid.
Yeah, I thought waiting 6 months to get mine would solve most of these stupid new build issues. But, no. Wait a full year at least.

Reactions: Ray_R
Welp, that was short lived. Vibration is back after 6 days albeit not as bad as it was previously. I just hope that it doesn't get any worse than it is now or I will be selling this mofo.

I just got car back today from Tampa and it's vibration-free but I guess I won't hold my breath. I had them reference your invoice. What surprised me was they actually fixed it. I was expecting them to reschedule a service because of no part availability. I guess they had them in stock. Shocking.

Reactions: theslimshadyist
I just got car back today from Tampa and it's vibration-free but I guess I won't hold my breath. I had them reference your invoice. What surprised me was they actually fixed it. I was expecting them to reschedule a service because of no part availability. I guess they had them in stock. Shocking.
I guess makes sense if the half shafts are shared with the model X. They should keep a bunch on hand.

As long as there's not a mechanical failure it never really bothered me that much. At first it did but over time I just learned to not worry about it. When your other cars in your garage are loud ICE cars that vibrate the entire car even at idle a little shudder at 40 MPH is easy to live with. 😂

Yeah, except I've been driving Teslas since 2015 and they've all been smooth. So having my newest and most expensive one have an annoying vibration is, well, annoying.

Edit: Just installed the track mode update, I'll report back later today.

Yeah, except I've been driving Teslas since 2015 and they've all been smooth. So having my newest and most expensive one have an annoying vibration is, well, annoying.

Edit: Just installed the track mode update, I'll report back later today.
I bet you have never owned Model X... Which shuddering under hard acceleration really hard and you can lose steering wheen from your hands :D

I bet you have never owned Model X... Which shuddering under hard acceleration really hard and you can lose steering wheen from your hands :D
Ha, good point. No, I've owned a Roadster, a 2016 Model S P90DL, 2018 Model 3 RWD and 2018 Model 3 Performance. All smooth.

Another thought on updates... we should probably be logging power output on our cars before and after each update. I was part of the "launch gate" fiasco on my P90D. Tesla realized there was a problem with the battery and so with a software update cut the power output (and performance) to reduce battery failures and warranty claims. Hopefully they don't do something similar with the plaid to solve their half shaft design problems without actually fixing the issue.

Reactions: Mandarin
They replaced my half shafts today. They said Engineering knows it’s an issue with Plaids and as of now, this is the only remedy they can perform. Ifit doesn’t fix the vibration, as of now, they have to characterize it as a normal characteristic of the Plaid. I’ll just cross my fingers it takes care of the vibration permanently. If not, so long as it doesn’t get worse, I can live with it. It is not extremely perceptible in my car. I’m hoping with the new half shafts, I won’t be able to feel it at all and it stays that way. I pick the car up tomorrow.

They replaced my half shafts today. They said Engineering knows it’s an issue with Plaids and as of now, this is the only remedy they can perform. Ifit doesn’t fix the vibration, as of now, they have to characterize it as a normal characteristic of the Plaid. I’ll just cross my fingers it takes care of the vibration permanently. If not, so long as it doesn’t get worse, I can live with it. It is not extremely perceptible in my car. I’m hoping with the new half shafts, I won’t be able to feel it at all and it stays that way. I pick the car up tomorrow.
is the vibration gone?