Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It does require more force than expected to remove and reinstall the stock links. I thought I was going to break something, but didn't. I think I removed the fixed end first, then the end from the sensor. I've used a pair a pliers to help pry them off a bit, while holding the end from the sensor so it isn't damaged. You can also remove them by hand, sometimes.

Also, for me it wasn't a 100% fix, but it was much better. I set my links to 5 mm, which I think works out to about 0.75" lower. Some have said that going a bit lower reduced the vibration even more, but I was already scraping my front everywhere I went with that amount of lowering....

@n2mb_racing Are you still using the links? Did you reduce the drop?

@n2mb_racing Are you still using the links? Did you reduce the drop?
No, unfortunately not! My suspension started squeaking, so I took the links out to go in for service. 2-3 visits later, they still haven't fixed the squeak. I feel like I can't put them back on until they fix the squeak. I want to just get the squeaking resolved, go back to the links, and be done with service for a while. They also need to replace my center console for the fourth time...

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG and jebinc
No, unfortunately not! My suspension started squeaking, so I took the links out to go in for service. 2-3 visits later, they still haven't fixed the squeak. I feel like I can't put them back on until they fix the squeak. I want to just get the squeaking resolved, go back to the links, and be done with service for a while. They also need to replace my center console for the fourth time...

@n2mb_racing Do you think the noisy suspension is a result of using the links, or just more of a Tesla quality issue?

Yeah, though I'd guess that lowering the front more would have more impact on reducing the vibration.

The other interesting thing to try would be the new MPP upper control arms or bearings. I wonder if those parts plus a full alignment would eliminate the vibration.

@n2mb_racing I just lowered my front, after trying many combinations. For me, the slight increased “rake” dials out a large percentage of the vibration. I plan to install the N2itive rear camber arms next and will be testing and reviewing those once Don @N2itive can get me the test set. I’ve already set up a similar thread for that.

@WilliamG @lbowroom

@n2mb_racing Do you think the noisy suspension is a result of using the links, or just more of a Tesla quality issue?
I suspect normal tesla quality stuff. Seems like something isn't greased in a bushing. The service center can't seem to fix it, so I think I'm just going to start spraying silicone lube on stuff until the squeak goes away, then tell them what part is squeaking to replace.

@n2mb_racing I just lowered my front, after trying many combinations. For me, the slight increased “rake” dials out a large percentage of the vibration. I plan to install the N2itive rear camber arms next and will be testing and reviewing those once Don @N2itive can get me the test set. I’ve already set up a similar thread for that.

@WilliamG @lbowroom

So, the lowered front and normal rear was better than lowering all around?
And do you think the rear camber arms will have any effect on vibration? I was assuming only front suspension parts would make a difference.

I had squeaking coming from my suspension as well. Mine was from the front right.. They lubricated the sway bar links, and axle shaft / hub and re-torqued all the suspension bolts.. They had to use special microphones to find the noise.. If yours is similar, check there!

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
Was just a suggestion, happy for someone else to mail down the testing criteria and run with this. I don't suffer from the vibration (that I know of) so not really incentivized to follow through with this, but I am happy to provide a datapoint/s
I really should have stfu, as I can now feel a slight vibration at said speeds. Not sure if I just wasn't aware of it before or if it's new :( Hopefully it doesn't get any worse.

I really should have stfu, as I can now feel a slight vibration at said speeds. Not sure if I just wasn't aware of it before or if it's new :( Hopefully it doesn't get any worse.
I told you to run away! They all have it, it’s just a matter of when. And of course, no acknowledgment by Tesla because if they did acknowledge it they’d be admitting to a design flaw with their cars… quite costly.

Reactions: jebinc and Eclipso
And could it be as simple as just switching to Pirellis? I am kind of fond of the 21's lol.
Me too, but the 19’s are definitely much more comfortable, they absorb a lot of the small bumps, not mentioning better for potholes.
Also I gained close to 50 Miles of range with those wheels, and the car is a bit quicker due to lower wheel mass.
Feels a lot more magic carpet ride now. Also Pirelli’s are widely available while I had an issue with the Michelin and could not get one before mid October.

Me too, but the 19’s are definitely much more comfortable, they absorb a lot of the small bumps, not mentioning better for potholes.
Also I gained close to 50 Miles of range with those wheels, and the car is a bit quicker due to lower wheel mass.
Feels a lot more magic carpet ride now. Also Pirelli’s are widely available while I had an issue with the Michelin and could not get one before mid October.
My 19s vibrated like a mofo, until I was able to reduce it with lowering links. 19s are not the answer.