Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Me too, but the 19’s are definitely much more comfortable, they absorb a lot of the small bumps, not mentioning better for potholes.
Also I gained close to 50 Miles of range with those wheels, and the car is a bit quicker due to lower wheel mass.
Feels a lot more magic carpet ride now. Also Pirelli’s are widely available while I had an issue with the Michelin and could not get one before mid October.
Lol the car does not feel faster with 19s at all. Those tiny differences are measured at the drag strip with decimal places, as these cars are traction limited off the line. Also having driven both 19s and 21s, the comfort difference is minor, if anything at all. The benefits of air suspension! The range difference is there, though.

Reactions: jebinc
Lol the car does not feel faster with 19s at all. Those tiny differences are measured at the drag strip with decimal places, as these cars are traction limited off the line. Also having driven both 19s and 21s, the comfort difference is minor, if anything at all. The benefits of air suspension! The range difference is there, though.
agree it’s minuscule On the acceleration. But on the comfort I find it absorbs little inperfections a lot better than the Michelin, the ride is smoother.

Reactions: jebinc
When I'm doing around 38-42 mph and slightly press the accelerator I get vibration on the wheel and in the car. It almost feels like you've shifted in 5th gear on an ICE car and its slowly bogging down the motor. Of course if you press harder you don't get the vibration. Wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

Anything before or after this speed doesn't have this issue. I'm wondering if the motors are not in sync at the speed?
I have the same vibration. I have taken it in for service a couple of times and they tell me they are hoping for a software fix. I was also told that it is the balancing or alignment of the magnets in the front motor. It is the motor that is creating the vibration in the front.
Tesla confirmed this because they were able to turn off the motor in the front and the vibration cease to exist. They documented on my paperwork when leaving, “under investigation”
This is totally unacceptable. I have talked to several other plaid owners with the same problem.

I have the same vibration. I have taken it in for service a couple of times and they tell me they are hoping for a software fix. I was also told that it is the balancing or alignment of the magnets in the front motor. It is the motor that is creating the vibration in the front.
Tesla confirmed this because they were able to turn off the motor in the front and the vibration cease to exist. They documented on my paperwork when leaving, “under investigation”
This is totally unacceptable. I have talked to several other plaid owners with the same problem.

I guess that is possible, though I don't understand why it didn't do it when our cars were delivered, but started vibrating over time. Nor why replacing the half shafts makes it go away for a while and then come back. But, I agree, moving the power to the rear motor only using track mode eliminates the vibration. So, it could be the motor, or it's the half shafts vibrating but only when being torqued by the motor.

I don't really see why it would be the motor, though. I thought it basically came from the Model Y, but with a different carbon wrap.

Also, there are a few reports of pre-refresh Model S/X owners getting the revised half shafts and developing the vibration, although those reports seem to be rare.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Totally! BTW, they turned my front motor off too, and it made no difference. Or at least that’s the line of BS they told me.

• Informative
Reactions: cwanja
Have you all seen this?

In the video Sandy is surprised there was no “pulsing” maybe this is what you all are feeling and it’s just part of the motor design? I wonder if it happens when the magnets align just right with the back motors and causes you to feel it.

Reactions: mswlogo
I went into track mode and put the bias to the rear, and like magic the problem went away. I also tweeted this thread to Sandy Munroe's twitter. Going to share this out to the rest finally, was really hoping Elon would at least acknowledge it but he didn't.
Yep, rear bias in Trace Mode and POOF, - problem disappears. Not really usable on the street (you'll wreck the car).