Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm ok with a lot of the "get it up and running" freebees going away (like free SC and connectivity). What I am really finding horribly distasteful is the utter disregard and lack of respect for the customer. It is our way or the highway which is going to lead to a lot of highway driving :)

Really sad to see as I love the engineering and execution. I gotta say, I'm also getting a huge bad taste in my mouth for E's politics. That stuff belongs in Apartheid SA (which luckily has been relegated to the past).

I'm the same. But then I look at my TSLA holding (which directly paid for all 4 Teslas) and I'm like, it's fine. The company is doing really well and TSLA stock is so undervalued right now that it's comical.

Tesla, please fix this vibration issue. But even if you don't, please continue to make huge profits so I can enjoy your fruits of labour. Hahah.

I'm the same. But then I look at my TSLA holding (which directly paid for all 4 Teslas) and I'm like, it's fine. The company is doing really well and TSLA stock is so undervalued right now that it's comical.

Tesla, please fix this vibration issue. But even if you don't, please continue to make huge profits so I can enjoy your fruits of labour. Hahah.
Its far from fine, it shouldn't vibrate at low speeds, and he should keep his mouth shut, he's cost me and others a lot of money recently.

Reactions: jlundbye

Yeah, as someone that paid for all my Teslas with cash and not TSLA holdings, I don't think it is fine.

Like the most of here the vibration usually only occurs during 38-44mph, the vibration happened to my car after 4k miles, now the car is at 20k miles and I noticed it vibrates around 70-80mph too, more noticeable when going uphill. Does anyone has the same issue?

Like the most of here the vibration usually only occurs during 38-44mph, the vibration happened to my car after 4k miles, now the car is at 20k miles and I noticed it vibrates around 70-80mph too, more noticeable when going uphill. Does anyone has the same issue?
Yes. Mine vibrates from around 37-38mph to ~52mph most noticeably, but still continues to vibrate at any speed after, but it’s often hidden by road surface and just the speed of things. Definitely noticed it around the 70-80mph.

I think they have done a lot, understand what is happening, but have no solution. On paper the axle angles are fine, out in the real world they have a harmonic or its just too much angle. They can't fix the angle...
Then why not give us an ultra low suspension position for the car to ride in? Apparently lowering links solve it (considerably, at least) anyway.

As an aside, if it’s an axle-angles issue, why was it not prevalent on some cars (like mine) from the start? Are the axles really getting tweaked out of shape? Why was my new car already tweaked, then? And why do just 2022 Model S also have a second (identical, as far as I can tell) vibration for the first few minutes at ~20-25mph which then goes away?

So many questions…

Then why not give us an ultra low suspension position for the car to ride in? Apparently lowering links solve it (considerably, at least) anyway.

As an aside, if it’s an axle-angles issue, why was it not prevalent on some cars (like mine) from the start? Are the axles really getting tweaked out of shape? Why was my new car already tweaked, then? And why do just 2022 Model S also have a second (identical, as far as I can tell) vibration for the first few minutes at ~20-25mph which then goes away?

So many questions…
What's even more entertaining is with my winter set on (19's) it starts at 41mph and ends at 43 where as the summer 21's its later in the 40's lol.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
This gets the Tesla stamp of approval!

View attachment 831713
1669733191471.png

There seems to be some consensus that these front half shaft angles are the culprit.

For reference:
1669734161454.png

Model S. The rear half shafts are clearly better but the fronts don't look too bad compared to other cars.

1669734912979.png

Toyota Tacoma front half shaft. Now that's extreme compared to any Tesla.

Many SUVs and pick-ups have similar angles to the Tacoma. Front half shafts of F150 have pretty radical angles too. Take a look next time you see one. Based on this I wonder if the angles are the main problem.
I can't imagine Tesla would have designed S/X this way if it would result in vibrations.
Angles could be a magnifier of another combination of problems.

Reactions: jebinc
Well guys.
I was one of the first Plaid owners in the country. June 2021. I ended up selling that one due to the vibration issue.

I bought a 2022 hoping that the vibration issue was fixed. The car was used and had 2k miles on it. No vibration on the extensive test drive. At 4k miles the vibration reared its head and was worse than my first Plaid. I sold it and bought an R8 V10 instead. Much happier with the R8 in the passion while driving department.

We still own a 2022 Model YP and I drive a 2021 911 C2S daily. The vibration did me in. Also I hated the yoke. Tesla as a company is changing and I'm not happy with it.

Plaid 1
Plaid 5.JPG

Plaid 2
Plaid 2.jpg

R8 that replaced Plaid #2
A83F36BC-EBE9-442F-9D7F-E04B2DAE2DCF.jpg

Daily
8EC946B2-97B1-40FF-AFB2-9EC08EE78B03.jpg

Well guys.
I was one of the first Plaid owners in the country. June 2021. I ended up selling that one due to the vibration issue.

I bought a 2022 hoping that the vibration issue was fixed. The car was used and had 2k miles on it. No vibration on the extensive test drive. At 4k miles the vibration reared its head and was worse than my first Plaid. I sold it and bought an R8 V10 instead. Much happier with the R8 in the passion while driving department.

We still own a 2022 Model YP and I drive a 2021 911 C2S daily. The vibration did me in. Also I hated the yoke. Tesla as a company is changing and I'm not happy with it.

Plaid 1
View attachment 879439

Plaid 2
View attachment 879440

R8 that replaced Plaid #2
View attachment 879441

Daily
View attachment 879442

I hear you! I would probably have sold mine, except I don't see anything else electric yet that can match the Plaid in terms of performance. Also, they have slowly chipped away and fixed all the other issues I have with the car, so I'm almost settled with it.

I could solve the vibration on mine by lowering it, but I have to get the damn suspension squeak fixed before lowering it again... Soon I will have everything fixed!

Reactions: jebinc