Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Vibration around 38-42MPH....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They said they want to keep it one more day to verify vibration.

On another note, the driver’s seat creaks a lot. And a popping sound in upper back. They are replacing entire front seat. These seats are not easily serviceable.

Actually the seat bottom is definitely serviceable, since mine was replaced for creaking. They took the entire seat out, and replaced the seat bottom, - reusing the faux leather and components inside my existing. Didn't take them too long (maybe 45 mins or so).

Reactions: jebinc

On another note, the driver’s seat creaks a lot. And a popping sound in upper back. They are replacing entire front seat. These seats are not easily serviceable.
The popping sound in the back could be the common noise from the rear seat latches. Wrapping the latch catch in tape eliminates it.

Well guys.
I was one of the first Plaid owners in the country. June 2021. I ended up selling that one due to the vibration issue.

I bought a 2022 hoping that the vibration issue was fixed. The car was used and had 2k miles on it. No vibration on the extensive test drive. At 4k miles the vibration reared its head and was worse than my first Plaid. I sold it and bought an R8 V10 instead. Much happier with the R8 in the passion while driving department.

We still own a 2022 Model YP and I drive a 2021 911 C2S daily. The vibration did me in. Also I hated the yoke. Tesla as a company is changing and I'm not happy with it.

Plaid 1
View attachment 879439

Plaid 2
View attachment 879440

R8 that replaced Plaid #2
View attachment 879441

Daily
View attachment 879442

I've learned to live with it and barely notice it. Open Florida roads car is almost never at 40-45 MPH range cruising. Enjoy the R8. I had a V10 Plus Gen 2 but went for the F car. Talk about polar opposites from Plaid...:D

Plaid can do things other cars can't do and the exotic cars can do things a Tesla will never do (and yes that includes the past and future Roadster).

plaid-f12-jpg.879912

Attachments

• Plaid-F12.jpg
    Plaid-F12.jpg
    619.4 KB · Views: 502

I also had visitited the Wilmington SC and had a very positive experience! Far better than others have mentioned regarding other locations. Really excited to see what they find out in your case.

My entire driver seat needs to be replaced. When it comes in then they will again troubleshoot the vibration. They said they didn’t notice it. I noticed it as soon as I pulled away getting on 141S.
They are really good at ignoring it.

I had to drive with them and then make the vibration happen and as they put their hands on the yoke.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ and jebinc
Yeah, as someone that paid for all my Teslas with cash and not TSLA holdings, I don't think it is fine.

If you can't beat them (or get them to fix this issue), then join them. LOL.

No reason why you also can't buy TSLA stock right now, but note that there is no guarantee on what it will do over the next 10 years. I suspect it will at least 10x and likely 20x by 2032 but that's not a guarantee. I'd tread slowly but the opportunity is still there.

Again, I am not saying it's not an issue and as soon as Tesla solves it, it'll make the driving experience so much better. But am I going to sell my Plaid because of this? No.

• Funny
Good weather lately. Vibration is almost gone at the lower height.

As far as the brackets vs links, the brackets are harder, but not prohibitively so. I talked to UP tech and they told me why the brackets were better, not sure I agree, but they are in and working well. Note: you may be fiddling with the brackets to get things right, they are not always a drop in. There are slots in the brackets to allow this. I had the front ones off three times and the rears twice for adjustment.

In the picture note the bolt holding the bracket is behind the inner fender - cumbersome unless you have a good toolset.

Hidden Bolt.JPG

Reactions: aerodyne
I have the same/similar issue. The car vibrates starting about 35mph and mostly gone by the time you hit 45. It is most noticeable under light acceleration as you move through those speeds. At heavy acceleration you only spend like .5 seconds at those speeds and probably just don't have time to feel it. If you keep a steady speed it pretty much isn't there as well as decelerating. It is pretty much only there when the car is "cold". After 15 or 20 minutes of driving, I can't feel it. It is in the yoke most obviously, but also the accelerator pedal and ever so slightly you can feel it in the seat. It is a vibration that I liken to making a "vvvvvvvv" sound. Perhaps 30 hz range. I have talked to the service center about it and they say they can't reproduce it. I am quite certain they just don't want to, it isn't really pretty easily felt. I believe it has something to do with the motors, even though it feels like bearings. If it were bearings/half axel/etc, it would not go away when the car warms up. The fact that it is only felt with acceleration and not deceleration or steady speed makes me believe it is not a mechanical component but rather the motor and how it is developing the magnetic field and moving the rotor through that field.

I have the same/similar issue. The car vibrates starting about 35mph and mostly gone by the time you hit 45. It is most noticeable under light acceleration as you move through those speeds. At heavy acceleration you only spend like .5 seconds at those speeds and probably just don't have time to feel it. If you keep a steady speed it pretty much isn't there as well as decelerating. It is pretty much only there when the car is "cold". After 15 or 20 minutes of driving, I can't feel it. It is in the yoke most obviously, but also the accelerator pedal and ever so slightly you can feel it in the seat. It is a vibration that I liken to making a "vvvvvvvv" sound. Perhaps 30 hz range. I have talked to the service center about it and they say they can't reproduce it. I am quite certain they just don't want to, it isn't really pretty easily felt. I believe it has something to do with the motors, even though it feels like bearings. If it were bearings/half axel/etc, it would not go away when the car warms up. The fact that it is only felt with acceleration and not deceleration or steady speed makes me believe it is not a mechanical component but rather the motor and how it is developing the magnetic field and moving the rotor through that field.
Exactly the same as you've described. The only thing I'd add is that I was also experiencing the Yoke shuddering significantly at 130+ km/h when in autopilot. This has totally gone after I swapped over to my winter tire package with 19" tempest rims. I'd already paid Tesla for re-balancing of my brand new car tires. I'm going to take them to a 3rd party place as something is off here as well.

Has anyone else noticed that the vibration is more subtle or even gone with the 2022.44.30.10 update?
In fact my half shafts were clacking under hard accel, and now they are not unless Im at a very high SOC.

Maybe it's my half shafts failing rather than the software, but just thought I would ask.

Has anyone else noticed that the vibration is more subtle or even gone with the 2022.44.30.10 update?
In fact my half shafts were clacking under hard accel, and now they are not unless Im at a very high SOC.

Maybe it's my half shafts failing rather than the software, but just thought I would ask.
Check your acceleration is still set to insane. I'm not sure if the service center changed it weeks ago or if it was a software update, but mine went back to the middle setting and wasn't on insane.