Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid vs F16 Aircraft

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious, but if an F16 aircraft and a MS Plaid were to have a quarter mile race, from a dig, who would win? Also wondering how long it would take an F16 to travel from a stop to a quarter mile away.
F16 probably 13-15 seconds. BUT... (huge but) when you get out to 1 mile mark it could be traveling 500mph.

Never flew the F16, but I've flown a few jets with good thrust-to-weight ratios near their empty limits. Humans "get used" to quite a bit after a few experiences. The Tesla has resulted in jets not feeling all that fast on the takeoff run. If anything, recalibrating pilots to "Tesla speed" gives us a bit better reaction time for go/no go decisions at V1. (usually engine failure, fire, loss of control, wind shear)

I have been in both, and the Plaid definitely feels like more thrust at the very start, although the F16 catches up real quick. If you do a straight up vertical ascent after wheels-up, then the whole world feels a little topsy turvey. Every day F16 pilots probably don't even notice this.

By 'Tesla Speed" I just meant getting used to the acceleration so that it is not surprising. The aftermarket Porsche 930 turbos were similar, where the world came at you so fast (and there was stuff to manage - lousy shifter system, boost limits, over-rev risks and this is before anti-lock brakes in a car that loved to leave the road ass end first) that it was overwhelming for a while.

First couple of times you experience anything it is unique (and sometimes scary). I used to fly an aircraft certified for hand-flown (manual) approaches blind down to a 100 ft decision height. The first several times it was terrifying. After a weekend of horrible weather and about eight in actual weather, it became routine and then the biggest concern was being unable to taxi & running off in the mud after clearing the runway.

F1 drivers seem absolutely super-human. But Verstappen runs his race and keeps up with Checo's tire wear at the same time.