Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid vs LR Visual Differences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it’s literally just a faster motor and that’s it
Well you do get an extra motor plus track mode. If you read the reviews of how a Plaid can track with dual rear motors and independent torque control that push/pull through corners, it’s pretty remarkable. So you are paying for the leading edge technology, not 0-60.

PS-I’m a 120% happy LR owner. Plaid would be cool, but I don’t track on regular basis and kid’s college ain’t cheap.

Model S long range will win a street light race against most other cars. THe Plaid will win against them all.

Plaid will also win against any other Model S.

Plaid has enhanced cooling to allow longer track stints and back to back drag strip runs.

The handling of the Plaid is far superior with torque vectoring from the dual rear motors.

Most ICE speed enthusiasts would spend much more to get this much additional performance.

The Plaid is a bargain considering most all other competitors with comparable performance.

The majority of model S and X owners will be the long range versions. The Plaid is for the elite.

Model S long range will win a street light race against most other cars. THe Plaid will win against them all.

Plaid will also win against any other Model S.

Plaid has enhanced cooling to allow longer track stints and back to back drag strip runs.

The handling of the Plaid is far superior with torque vectoring from the dual rear motors.

Most ICE speed enthusiasts would spend much more to get this much additional performance.

The Plaid is a bargain considering most all other competitors with comparable performance.

The majority of model S and X owners will be the long range versions. The Plaid is for the elite.
Fair summary. I think the regular S is a great car. The Plaid is just next level, is all.

Three conditions to go for a Plaid:
a) the "next level" acceleration means a lot to you,
b) you can actually experience it with reasonable frequency,
c) you can afford it

Each one of those factors is subjective. In my case, (a) is meh, and (b) is not likely, and (candidly) I'm not so crazy rich that (c) $30k is nothing to me. I chose to light my $10k of discretionary money on fire and throw it at FSD instead. We'll see how that goes...

Last edited:
Reactions: cwanja and Bull
The biggest difference when choosing to go for the plaid is obviously the extra 350hp. That being said, all manufacturers offer so much more when upgrading to performance packages, the list is usually rather long which strengthens many of the cars parts/features to accommodate the extra power being put to the ground and they add several external details to the car to differentiate it from the non performance model. The plaid version has a decal and a spoiler, really would have been nice if they gave it 1020hp fastest car in the world signature looks.

Almost went for the plaid but decided otherwise at the last minute. Very happy with my choice and for my use it has more power than I will ever be able to use. I was very surprised when I finally took delivery and was able to try it, definitely not expecting that much power. The LR is a wolf in sheep's clothing and I do get a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing all drive components are designed to handle an additional 350hp and the torque that goes with it.

Reactions: house9
Because the Plaid's value is in its speed/performance and the LR has enough for me, the Plaid was not worth it to me. Now if Tesla would have given the Plaid more items that held value (higher levels of luxury/features or exterior design cues), it would have been worth the extra money.

I do not envy or am jealous of Plaid owners. I am more than content with my LR. But I will never forget that by the time my LR has figured whether it wants to be in forward or reverse, the Plaid will be at 100 MPH.

It is in what you value - why do some pay more for the red over white?

The biggest difference when choosing to go for the plaid is obviously the extra 350hp. That being said, all manufacturers offer so much more when upgrading to performance packages, the list is usually rather long which strengthens many of the cars parts/features to accommodate the extra power being put to the ground and they add several external details to the car to differentiate it from the non performance model. The plaid version has a decal and a spoiler, really would have been nice if they gave it 1020hp fastest car in the world signature looks.

Almost went for the plaid but decided otherwise at the last minute. Very happy with my choice and for my use it has more power than I will ever be able to use. I was very surprised when I finally took delivery and was able to try it, definitely not expecting that much power. The LR is a wolf in sheep's clothing and I do get a warm and fuzzy feeling knowing all drive components are designed to handle an additional 350hp and the torque that goes with it.
You and hayseed hit on a big issue I've had with Tesla in general. Other than the extra power, the really don't add much more content. The track mode is a nice add but it isn't something you can easily engage (at least on the M3P). The rest is just simple bolt ons I'd expected from someone in 10th grade. Not much imagination OR differentiation from the lower models.

I am a speed junkie at my core but as I've matured I want more than just raw acceleration. I understand why Tesla keeps their options simple from a production standpoint but I would like more in a Plaid than what Tesla gives you. Should have came with better brakes from the factory if your mission is to track the car as so many of you allude to.

An upgraded interior, seats, upgraded suspension, lightweight wheels, etc. I'll gladly drop 150-160k on something like that. Basically all you are getting is the LR with more power and recently the track mode. It was one of the reasons I didn't go with the Performance version on either our Y or 3. Basically all you got there though was quicker to 60 and from about 25 mph on up, a 3 or Y with acceleration boost is just as quick as the Performance versions.

At least with the Plaid, you do maintain an acceleration advantage even at higher speeds over the LR which is very quick in its own right. The Plaid is pulling like one of my slower sportbikes which is very impressive.

I think the biggest difference - no one will try to race you. I have had P85D, P90D, P100D, Performance model 3 - people always want to race.

4 months of Plaid - no one. Nothing - not the 458, not the hellcat, not the 720S - they all know...
That’s why I debadged mine lol
The takers I have had so far are absolutely loony when they see how fast the car is; and there’s some that still aren’t aware of the Plaid. Absolutely destroyed a heavily modified Coyote Mustang the other day and he was totally dumbfounded; literally thought he’d win. Although it seems like a lot of the 5.0 owners think they have the fastest thing in the road lol

Are there any YouTube videos or other sources that you could share? I’m interested specifically in rolling acceleration, not 0-60 or quarter mile.
None that I’ve seen on YouTube head to head. But the 60-130 is the beat routinely used performance measurement to evaluate roll racing, and the Plaid does mid to high 4 seconds and the LR is high 7’s/low 8’s. That over 3 second difference is many many car lengths if they raced head to head

Reactions: MrSlowEv
None that I’ve seen on YouTube head to head. But the 60-130 is the beat routinely used performance measurement to evaluate roll racing, and the Plaid does mid to high 4 seconds and the LR is high 7’s/low 8’s. That over 3 second difference is many many car lengths if they raced head to head

You’re right, and I found one 60 - 130 video of the LR here, 7.7 seconds:

This post puts the 60 - 130 times in perspective:

So basically the Plaid is in the McLaren / Bugatti territory in terms of rolling acceleration, the LR is similar to a 911 Turbo S. Both for a fraction of their competitors price.

But yeah, to bring it back to the original topic, it really would be nice to get some visual distinction for the 30K+ difference.

You’re right, and I found one 60 - 130 video of the LR here, 7.7 seconds:

This post puts the 60 - 130 times in perspective:

So basically the Plaid is in the McLaren / Bugatti territory in terms of rolling acceleration, the LR is similar to a 911 Turbo S. Both for a fraction of their competitors price.

But yeah, to bring it back to the original topic, it really would be nice to get some visual distinction for the 30K+ difference.
Great info!
And yes, the LR is in some good company with how quick it is in its own right.
I had a P100D prior, and it felt “slow” to me after 3 years, so Plaid was the only thing that was going to do it for me. The acceleration was a bit scary at first, but less than 2 months in, I’m now wanting more and hoping Tesla will release a performance upgrade 🤣