Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid vs LR Visual Differences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Three conditions to go for a Plaid:
a) the "next level" acceleration means a lot to you,
b) you can actually experience it with reasonable frequency,
c) you can afford it

Each one of those factors is subjective. In my case, (a) is meh, and (b) is not likely, and (candidly) I'm not so crazy rich that (c) $30k is nothing to me. I chose to light my $10k of discretionary money on fire and throw it at FSD instead. We'll see how that goes...
You and hayseed hit on a big issue I've had with Tesla in general. Other than the extra power, the really don't add much more content. The track mode is a nice add but it isn't something you can easily engage (at least on the M3P). The rest is just simple bolt ons I'd expected from someone in 10th grade. Not much imagination OR differentiation from the lower models.

I am a speed junkie at my core but as I've matured I want more than just raw acceleration. I understand why Tesla keeps their options simple from a production standpoint but I would like more in a Plaid than what Tesla gives you. Should have came with better brakes from the factory if your mission is to track the car as so many of you allude to.

An upgraded interior, seats, upgraded suspension, lightweight wheels, etc. I'll gladly drop 150-160k on something like that. Basically all you are getting is the LR with more power and recently the track mode. It was one of the reasons I didn't go with the Performance version on either our Y or 3. Basically all you got there though was quicker to 60 and from about 25 mph on up, a 3 or Y with acceleration boost is just as quick as the Performance versions.

At least with the Plaid, you do maintain an acceleration advantage even at higher speeds over the LR which is very quick in its own right. The Plaid is pulling like one of my slower sportbikes which is very impressive.
Oh man.

Looks-wise I could care less about the differences between the plaid and lr. Unless there’s a functional reason, I don’t need them to look different.

I do think anything more performance oriented inside, outside, mechanical would be nice but I understand why they did what they did.

As it is, without major differences between plaid and lr, they have had challenges getting supply chain flowing well. Add in differentiating parts and it makes the problem exponentially harder since any single part can be the bottleneck. The more parts that are in common the less production risk they have. Note that the only real parts (drivetrain) that are different are ones that Tesla makes themselves.

When supply chain issues get better I’m very sure Tesla will differentiate the cars more. Could be that LR gets decontented, could be the plaid gets more special parts. Probably a combination of both, and it will be a slow and constant evolution. It won’t be tied to a specific “model year” etc.

Looks-wise I could care less about the differences between the plaid and lr. Unless there’s a functional reason, I don’t need them to look different.

I do think anything more performance oriented inside, outside, mechanical would be nice but I understand why they did what they did.

As it is, without major differences between plaid and lr, they have had challenges getting supply chain flowing well. Add in differentiating parts and it makes the problem exponentially harder since any single part can be the bottleneck. The more parts that are in common the less production risk they have. Note that the only real parts (drivetrain) that are different are ones that Tesla makes themselves.

When supply chain issues get better I’m very sure Tesla will differentiate the cars more. Could be that LR gets decontented, could be the plaid gets more special parts. Probably a combination of both, and it will be a slow and constant evolution. It won’t be tied to a specific “model year” etc.
While I hope they would, I don't think they will. Just look at the performance versions of the 3 and Y. Basically simple little bolt ons for the most part. That was done pre supply chain issues.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
So, to a point I got the best of both worlds, paid the $35,000 less for a LR and got the Plaid badge. Who is going to notice that it takes 50% longer 0 to 60 if I don't accept the frequent invitations to race?
I am curious to know whether we are really sure that there are no differences other than those already mentioned between the suspensions in the 2 cars. It seems that with all of the extra power, higher top end, new brake options, etc. some improvements to the suspension in the Plaid would have been warranted.