Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid vs LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I recently ordered my first Tesla plaid priced at 139k and change. 21”” wheel with FSD.

I obviously like many others was amazed at 1020 hp and 0-60 1.99 secs. I went with 21” wheel for better handling but compromised on miles to 350/charge. Most of us won’t use the power of that car more than 1-2 times/lifetime unless u track it regularly which I don’t. Plus the bragging rights

my question is: should I change to LR with FSD. It will be 55K less and more range. I just sold my current car which would basically pay for new MS LR 2021 without having to put anything

I just placed the order and did everything a few days ago so changing won’t really make a huge difference to the timeline I get delivery.

I do love the idea of plaid and need some advice if I should change or keep the same. Pros and cons.

Aside from the rocket speed which, as you say, you will rarely if ever use, I personally don’t see any need to get the plaid. The increased range of the S LR (is Tesla using the LR designation for the new S?) plus the lower price, seems to make the standard S the more practical choice. Of course if “bragging rights” are more important to you, and you don’t need the $55,000 ( you can buy a new Model 3 or Cybertruck with that money) then go with the plaid.

The three things I would like from the Plaid on my LR: red calipers, rear spoiler, bragging rights. I do not like the carbon fiber trim interior. The seats seem to be different and I strongly suspect the suspension will be harsher ("sportier"). I am looking for a fast touring sports sedan. Even if they were the same cost, not sure the Plaid would be for me.

Reactions: TBrownTX and 1020hp
When we purchased the 2017 S75 RWD it was at the time a very reasonable Tesla. even the 75 RWD had great power. I was well pleased and it was shocking to all the friends and family. I think the standard (Non Plaid) is a great bargain with an amazing range. Now that they changed a few things inside and I believe gave it door pockets, it will be a much better car then before. Now with that said, It's difficult to leave that much on the table without going big. So like poker, when there's that much at stake, sometimes it's worth calling in order to get the big prize. I know it's a weird way to look at it, but you already will be investing X amount of dollars, Just a few more gets you the king of the hill. I will say that most of the threads I see here about performance vs non performance, members that purchased the performance never looked back, I recall many post about the SR model 3 or see them for sale with owners wanting to upgrade to the LR. No one but you knows what holds value to you. You will see many thoughts here but I will say, go big or go home. Never look back. Life is short my friend.

I have ordered one of each - and will decide which one I will get after some proper reviews. The S won’t make it across the pond until late fall which should give me enough time. I am a bit of an idiot so I will most likely go for the red/white Plaid. I’m not getting the 21” - I will probably get some darker 20”

Reactions: 1020hp
So the options I have is to stay on plaid but to change the tires to 19” that gives me 390 miles and saves 4500$
Or to change to LR with FSD.
practically speaking I know LR makes most sense but taking time to decide as once delivered I can’t change anything

So the options I have is to stay on plaid but to change the tires to 19” that gives me 390 miles and saves 4500$
Or to change to LR with FSD.
practically speaking I know LR makes most sense but taking time to decide as once delivered I can’t change anything
Also, my SA was not suggesting I change my order as it had happened that customers are moved back in line, and even if I find that hard to believe, I am not really risking anything by adding an order I guess. Perhaps someone here knows if a change to Plaid should maintain your place in line or not.

As someone had said earlier up thread, only you know what you'll value in the car you purchase. Some people want more comfort or luxury, others want more technology, and others more handling and/or power. The top performing cars in the world generally go for around 7 figures. I'm not able to spend that sort of money for a car, so I personally find it tantalizing that I can order a car within my price range for $150k that will hold such a title.

Hi I recently ordered my first Tesla plaid priced at 139k and change. 21”” wheel with FSD.

I obviously like many others was amazed at 1020 hp and 0-60 1.99 secs. I went with 21” wheel for better handling but compromised on miles to 350/charge. Most of us won’t use the power of that car more than 1-2 times/lifetime unless u track it regularly which I don’t. Plus the bragging rights

my question is: should I change to LR with FSD. It will be 55K less and more range. I just sold my current car which would basically pay for new MS LR 2021 without having to put anything

I just placed the order and did everything a few days ago so changing won’t really make a huge difference to the timeline I get delivery.

I do love the idea of plaid and need some advice if I should change or keep the same. Pros and cons.

Having has an S85D / S100D / Raven Refresh Performance + Ludicrous I would say UNLESS you have an incessant need to “peacock” you will be 100% happy with a 2021 Refresh MS LR.

It is totally a I need to show “peacock” vs I know I can beat 99% of every other car on the road without red calipers and a tiny spoiler and still have $50k in my pocket. Having had it all, up to now, Tesla wise I am more about miles per charge than showing off a little and still having incredible performance.

In the end if you need to show for a bit get the Plaid and enjoy it. You won’t be mad in the end.

Looking at it more closely and comparing apples to apples ( same wheel size/interior etc) - it’s difference of 40K ( 97990 vs 137990) and saves 25 miles between LR and Plaid... and not 55k and 50 miles
So now I don’t think miles is different much at all. It all comes down to is extra 40k to be precise worth it

I went with the Plaid. I figure it’s a $20k price difference.

Plaid adds $40k to the price up front. I will sell the car in 4 years for about half what I paid for it. So I’ll recoup about $20k of the $40k to get the Plaid. It’s worth $20k to me to be able to have the quickest production car in the world (until someone trumps it). Growing up a kid of the 80s, I dreamed of the exotic cars. Those were the quickest in the world at the time. They were, and still are, unobtainable. I never would have dreamed I could own the quickest production car in the world when I was a kid, or now an adult....but I can...for $20,000 more than I’d pay for the regular MS!

In 4 years half the price? I think it will be much higher especially with high end plaid and plus orders. Given the rarity and the performance... I had my Porsche 911 for 4 years and sold for just 10K less than what I bought it for. I would think it would retain value

I’m going by past practice of Tesla over-charging when it first comes out, only to slash the price later on. Ie...P100D going for north of $130k and then eventually selling new in the $90’s. That kills resale of the early-adopters. So I am being conservative and planning for the worst. I hope for the best....the get out in four years and selling for maybe 75% of what I paid. Who knows. Better to be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

Now the M3....those little guys do hold on to their value. I wish they made one with three motors!

Reactions: 1020hp

I agree with all of your arguments/statements for and against. I went through the same thing. I also agree with all of the subsequent comments

I have a 2013 P85+ with 27k miles that is the best car I've ever owned. As slow as it is (by Tesla standards,) it's still plenty fast for me. I've only demo'd the acceleration a couple of times. The friends that were with me were blown away.

The difference between the LR and Plaid is $40k, which is ridiculous. However, I have a big birthday coming up, just retired, and have no dependents. Everything hurts, and I'm dying. Not really, but it feels like it.

I asked my friend what he thought. "Are you serious? Get what you want!" So I have a Plaid on order. I won't pretend to have a rational justification for the extra $40k.

Last edited: