Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid vs LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In 4 years half the price? I think it will be much higher especially with high end plaid and plus orders. Given the rarity and the performance... I had my Porsche 911 for 4 years and sold for just 10K less than what I bought it for. I would think it would retain value

Possibly, but I certainly wouldn’t count on it. P100Ds from four years ago that retailed new for $140k to $160k+ have been bringing less than half that on the retail used car market. Below is a recent example of a 2017 MS P100DL that retailed new for $153,700 (or $146,200 after federal tax credit) and was offered for $61,999.
2017 Used Tesla Model S P100DL. Enhanced Autopilot. Deep Blue. Black. 46,169-miles. $63,999. Burbank. California

Half price or less seems to be the norm for these cars right now, even in this strong used car market and with no new MS production (therefore limited inventory) for months. As EV advacements continue and new competition enters the market, MS resale values could be a lot worse in four years.

Reactions: scrapps
I think it all depends on whether Tesla will continue to lower prices as they have, or hold out. We can make an educated guess they've been dropping the S price since the 3 came out due to the perception that it was the "older" design yet it was a higher price - they had to motivate sales in some manner. Now that the S is the "newer" design, demand is high on its own, and the 3 is the "older" design (although they're more in line with each other now), we'll see if Tesla gets back to its old tricks. Only time will tell.

I went through the same thought process. Started with a Plaid + order, then after I thought about it for a few weeks, changed to a LR.

The main thing that did me in was the fact that they are the exact same car except for performance. Every other car manufacturer out there, their top of the line performance version of a car looks the business. The Model S? You get a cheap small spoiler you can buy for $500 and some red calipers. If I’m spending that kind of money on a performance car, you’re damn right I want to “peacock”.

There’s no logical reason to select the Plaid. It’s emotional. The visuals of the Plaid just didn’t stir my emotions.

On the flip side, as others have stated, the LR is still crazy fast. I think the LR is the best value in Tesla’s fleet. It’s “only” a $25k increase over the M3 Performance, but is probably over $25k more car. I suspect the LR is going to retain its value really well.

Every other car manufacturer out there, their top of the line performance version of a car looks the business. The Model S? You get a cheap small spoiler you can buy for $500 and some red calipers.
Name the one of these "every other car mancufacturers" that adds a third motor just to top the 2 motors you already have in the standard product ;)

I went through the same thought process. Started with a Plaid + order, then after I thought about it for a few weeks, changed to a LR.

The main thing that did me in was the fact that they are the exact same car except for performance. Every other car manufacturer out there, their top of the line performance version of a car looks the business. The Model S? You get a cheap small spoiler you can buy for $500 and some red calipers. If I’m spending that kind of money on a performance car, you’re damn right I want to “peacock”.

There’s no logical reason to select the Plaid. It’s emotional. The visuals of the Plaid just didn’t stir my emotions.

On the flip side, as others have stated, the LR is still crazy fast. I think the LR is the best value in Tesla’s fleet. It’s “only” a $25k increase over the M3 Performance, but is probably over $25k more car. I suspect the LR is going to retain its value really well.
Yea I've been struggling with "Just what do I get for an additional $30k?" questions. The ONLY difference on the Tesla order page is the >1.99 sec. Same interior, same exterior, same horse power, hell even same red calipers. And how much less than 1.99 sec?

Oh and wait until everyone testing said claim start complaining they can't get lower than say 2.5 sec (which is wicked fast) but not what was advertized. We're standing by our plaid + order but it better be more than just more range and a couple tenths quicker 0-60 time.

This reminds me of the debate I used to have on another unrelated forum
except it was over whether getting a $120 restaurant steak was worth it when the $40 steak was *almost* as good and certainly not 3 times worse than the $120 one.
If both options are affordable, It really comes down to how you value both your money and your tastes. Even if the $120 steak is just a little better, it could be entirely worthwhile to you to spend the extra $80. It's a personal choice and you should go with your gut if the extra $40K isn't going to hurt you financially.

Any guys who ordered plaid- why did you chose it over MS LR
I've always liked big hp and strong acceleration so went with the Plaid.. In the past, I didn't want a 911, I wanted a 911 Turbo. Same story with M5, S8, E63, other Porsche turbos. To get more power, ECU tuned most of my turbo cars.. I'm not racing around the streets in and out of traffic etc. I just like acceleration in a responsible way.

Reactions: tibook
Hi I recently ordered my first Tesla plaid priced at 139k and change. 21”” wheel with FSD.

I obviously like many others was amazed at 1020 hp and 0-60 1.99 secs. I went with 21” wheel for better handling but compromised on miles to 350/charge. Most of us won’t use the power of that car more than 1-2 times/lifetime unless u track it regularly which I don’t. Plus the bragging rights

my question is: should I change to LR with FSD. It will be 55K less and more range. I just sold my current car which would basically pay for new MS LR 2021 without having to put anything

I just placed the order and did everything a few days ago so changing won’t really make a huge difference to the timeline I get delivery.

I do love the idea of plaid and need some advice if I should change or keep the same. Pros and cons.
Save the $40k and go with a LR which will be plenty fast. Since Tesla will probably offer FSD with a subscription, I'd probably skip the FSD. Remember FSD stays with the car so makes sense to pay monthly instead. I went with the plaid but I will use the power more than 1-2 times lol. Just being honest.

So the options I have is to stay on plaid but to change the tires to 19” that gives me 390 miles and saves 4500$
Or to change to LR with FSD.
practically speaking I know LR makes most sense but taking time to decide as once delivered I can’t change anything
Keep in mind, for the money you save going LR, you can probably rent a plaid plus for weeks on Turo or similar rental service.

You will save money with the 19" wheels to boot.

Reactions: HovFTW and Drew-MS
By the way, another concern I had is that with three motors, there is 50% more chance of something going wrong. And then slightly lower range. And the increased price. All so the car can go faster than I can reasonably go in everyday driving?
The higher price is definitely a big factor. It’s not just 10-20% more expensive, like a BMW M5 compared to a BMW 550. The plaid at $120k is 50% more expensive than LR at $80k. Also the LR will probably hold up better regarding depreciation. So the LR makes more sense but idc. I’m still going with plaid lol.

Reactions: boonedocks