Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid vs LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with all of your arguments/statements for and against. I went through the same thing. I also agree with all of the subsequent comments

I have a 2013 P85+ with 27k miles that is the best car I've ever owned. As slow as it is (by Tesla standards,) it's still plenty fast for me. I've only demo'd the acceleration a couple of times. The friends that were with me were blown away.

The difference between the LR and Plaid is $40k, which is ridiculous. However, I have a big birthday coming up, just retired, and have no dependents. Everything hurts, and I'm dying. Not really, but it feels like it.

I asked my friend what he thought. "Are you serious? Get what you want!" So I have a Plaid on order. I won't pretend to have a rational justification for the extra $40k.
Hell yeah! Welcome to the club :D

Had a Model S with Ludicrous. Used it quite a few times the first couple of months. Passengers, after the first experience, stated they wouldn't want to ride in the car if I did it again (even given a warning).

You can rocket-off at a light, but after a while, it becomes passe.

I'd use the range more than I ever did the Ludicrous mode, and the longer range can cut a 9 hour trip by at least 40 minutes (full charge at the beginning, reducing the charge(s) in the middle down to one, and a charge at the destination).

Placed the order for the LR Model S (white on white).

Had a Model S with Ludicrous. Used it quite a few times the first couple of months. Passengers, after the first experience, stated they wouldn't want to ride in the car if I did it again (even given a warning).

You can rocket-off at a light, but after a while, it becomes passe.

I'd use the range more than I ever did the Ludicrous mode, and the longer range can cut a 9 hour trip by at least 40 minutes (full charge at the beginning, reducing the charge(s) in the middle down to one, and a charge at the destination).

Placed the order for the LR Model S (white on white).
In my P100D, I launched the car only a few times. I much preferred the instant torque while already moving. My favorite was from 20-30mph up to 80ish which was faster than any other car I’ve driven. It actually made other fast cars I’ve owned feel slow. Well at least under 90mph (on a track of course.) But a very fast ice car like a 911 turbo or a tuned M5 or E63 could pull away from a P100D any speed above 90. Maybe not the case against a newer model S performance. The new plaid should be able to roast pretty much any street legal car at any speed.

I ordered an LR but was contemplating a Plaid. I have gotten used to the performance of my MX P100D and the MS LR is just slightly slower than my MX (0-60 2.9 seconds). I will say, while I don't launch my P100D often, the extra power is usable when at speed and it is hard to go back to a slower car.

I went through the same thought process. Started with a Plaid + order, then after I thought about it for a few weeks, changed to a LR.

The main thing that did me in was the fact that they are the exact same car except for performance. Every other car manufacturer out there, their top of the line performance version of a car looks the business. The Model S? You get a cheap small spoiler you can buy for $500 and some red calipers. If I’m spending that kind of money on a performance car, you’re damn right I want to “peacock”.

There’s no logical reason to select the Plaid. It’s emotional. The visuals of the Plaid just didn’t stir my emotions.

On the flip side, as others have stated, the LR is still crazy fast. I think the LR is the best value in Tesla’s fleet. It’s “only” a $25k increase over the M3 Performance, but is probably over $25k more car. I suspect the LR is going to retain its value really well.

Agreed. The LR is a great value for the performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tigers
The EQS is expected to be over $100k when it releases (similar to the $103k the S-Class base starts at), comparing to the MS LR at $20k less - although the EQS doesn't have the same performance as the LR, it does have a much more traditionally luxurious interior (if that's your style). The AMG S-Class starts at $150k (before options, of course) and compares to the Plaid at $120k, an even wider price gap. Again, they're not really built for the same crowd, but if you're shopping solely on price tag, Tesla is going to look better there.

They had to keep up demand on the S/X because they 3/Y had been out for years with the perceived "newer" tech (despite constant small upgrades), and with no big updates to the top-end line, all options aside FSD already been grouped in (remember paying extra for cabin lighting, upgraded sound, etc?), price reduction was the only way. We'll see if they do indeed get back to their old tricks, but now that the 3/Y are the "older" models and the competition charging more than them, there isn't much pressure to drop it. Some people even think they'll raise, but I don't know how likely that is (maybe in light of the expected EV tax rebates).

The Cybertruck, though, does represent a huge value in comparison to the S/X.

In the past, P100Ds used to cost in the north of USD 150k and prices came down quickly. I will patiently wait for the Plaid+ price to come down close to Audi S6/EQS prices. Meanwhile, I'll sport a Plaid Cybertruck for half the price.
I’ve convinced myself that it’s going to be a long time before we see a Plaid Cybertruck. Given how difficult it’s been for Tesla to get the Model S out the door, I can’t image the issues they’re going to have getting the Cybertruck into full production. Combine that with fact that the Plaid+ has already been delayed into mid-2022 (for what I can only assume are battery/R&D reasons) and I’m expecting my Plaid Cybertruck in 2023 at the earliest. Hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: VikH
Hi I recently ordered my first Tesla plaid priced at 139k and change. 21”” wheel with FSD.

I obviously like many others was amazed at 1020 hp and 0-60 1.99 secs. I went with 21” wheel for better handling but compromised on miles to 350/charge. Most of us won’t use the power of that car more than 1-2 times/lifetime unless u track it regularly which I don’t. Plus the bragging rights

my question is: should I change to LR with FSD. It will be 55K less and more range. I just sold my current car which would basically pay for new MS LR 2021 without having to put anything

I just placed the order and did everything a few days ago so changing won’t really make a huge difference to the timeline I get delivery.

I do love the idea of plaid and need some advice if I should change or keep the same. Pros and cons.

Hi I recently ordered my first Tesla plaid priced at 139k and change. 21”” wheel with FSD.

I obviously like many others was amazed at 1020 hp and 0-60 1.99 secs. I went with 21” wheel for better handling but compromised on miles to 350/charge. Most of us won’t use the power of that car more than 1-2 times/lifetime unless u track it regularly which I don’t. Plus the bragging rights

my question is: should I change to LR with FSD. It will be 55K less and more range. I just sold my current car which would basically pay for new MS LR 2021 without having to put anything

I just placed the order and did everything a few days ago so changing won’t really make a huge difference to the timeline I get delivery.

I do love the idea of plaid and need some advice if I should change or keep the same. Pros and cons.
We just purchased a model 3 LR for my wife would have liked to wait on a S model but since she is resuming work with a five day 80 mile rt commute we did not want to wait. As for the performance i have been driving hipo cars and bikes my entire life i think the LR Plaid specs are excellent . Think the Plaid S power would be more interesting in the Roadster which im looking forward to for myself

I recently purchased a 12/2017 75D since I needed a vehicle and the refresh sounded like it wasn't going to happen in time. Looking to order a new LR but curious if the Plaid + will be worth the wait. If you order a Plaid+, do they give you any additional insights to the extras?

I recently purchased a 12/2017 75D since I needed a vehicle and the refresh sounded like it wasn't going to happen in time. Looking to order a new LR but curious if the Plaid + will be worth the wait. If you order a Plaid+, do they give you any additional insights to the extras?
I've received no further insights, I'm hoping the + involves something similar to a "track package" of enhanced handling (suspension/wheels/tires) to be able to reach the track times they've been seen testing, but I'm not expecting it, haha.