Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid vs Plaid+ visual differences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am betting they will be subtle and people will complain.

Generally, Tesla does subtle differences for performance models. Back in 2015, there was lots of complaining about a P model basically looking like a "cheap" model. Maybe a small tacked on spoiler, red calipers and bigger rims. The cost differential was the same as now.

More recently, the performance price differential has been much smaller - so less hand wringing.

Have they learned something in 6 years? Maybe..... But I doubt it. It is more about a philosophy. And part of that philosophy is manufacturing simplicity.

• Funny
Reactions: Tiger and ICUDoc
I remember when Pontiac brought the GTO back in 2004 (a re-badged Holden/HSV Monaro coupe from Down Under) and people complained it looked too much like a Grand Prix, Grand Am, or other non-performance vehicles. In 2005 GM added non-functional hood scoops and punched out the 5.7L V8 to 6.0L.
Funny how 0 to 60 in a bit under 5 seconds seemed quick in those days.

Though I'm not planning to get one (the "standard" refreshed S will match my current P85DL closely enough), I'd prefer the Plaid and Plaid+ don't look too bonkers.

Reactions: ICUDoc

Generally, Tesla does subtle differences for performance models. Back in 2015, there was lots of complaining about a P model basically looking like a "cheap" model. Maybe a small tacked on spoiler, red calipers and bigger rims. The cost differential was the same as now.

More recently, the performance price differential has been much smaller - so less hand wringing.

Have they learned something in 6 years? Maybe..... But I doubt it. It is more about a philosophy. And part of that philosophy is manufacturing simplicity.
Back in 2012 they were the same. The spoiler and red brakes came later and base 85 even had the same P motor at first. It was just a software change.

Though I'm not planning to get one (the "standard" refreshed S will match my current P85DL closely enough), I'd prefer the Plaid and Plaid+ don't look too bonkers.

I'm in that same line of thinking. I think my next one will be the "standard" car with whatever interior upgrades they'll let me buy. I'm probably going to wait 1-2 years, however.

I'm pretty disappointed with the new interiors compared to the premium/extended leather interior you used to be able to get. I hope they bring some of those things back.

I appears to me that the "diffuser" at the rear of the refreshed S now looks completely non-functional and cosmetic, probably because actually producing some downforce might induce a little drag and increase the CD, where they made a point of publishing a number that beat Lucid by .002. I would be disappointed if the Plaid+ wasn't shipped with a functional diffuser.

I'm in that same line of thinking. I think my next one will be the "standard" car with whatever interior upgrades they'll let me buy. I'm probably going to wait 1-2 years, however.

I'm pretty disappointed with the new interiors compared to the premium/extended leather interior you used to be able to get. I hope they bring some of those things back.
I doubt "real cowhide" leather is ever coming back again to Tesla, it's "vegan" leather from now on.
They should probably just license MB-Tex from Mercedes-Benz and use that.

The rumors you hear of the new Model S being wider most likely only applies to the plaid plus due to totally different battery substructure. Pretty sure the long range and regular plaid will be the same size as current models.

To get to the CoD numbers that Elons promoted, I'm hanging onto the belief that there'll be a lower extendable lip on the front splitter, a more aggressive diffuser and the outside chance of side mirrors minimized or digitised and incorporated with FSD warning systems.

I doubt "real cowhide" leather is ever coming back again to Tesla, it's "vegan" leather from now on.
They should probably just license MB-Tex from Mercedes-Benz and use that.

Tesla's vegan leather is vastly superior to MB-Tex. And I say this as someone who has owned several Mercedes and still own a Mercedes. There is no comparison. MB-Tex feels cheap. If you want a decent seat surface in a Mercedes you have to get leather.

Reactions: patyoungsc
Tesla's vegan leather is vastly superior to MB-Tex. And I say this as someone who has owned several Mercedes and still own a Mercedes. There is no comparison. MB-Tex feels cheap. If you want a decent seat surface in a Mercedes you have to get leather.

that’s cool. I personally think it’s disingenuous to call something vegan leather. Better to have a brand like alcantara Otherwise we could call cars mechanical horses. Better to use new terms for new things.

Since we have gone full off topic...

The average consumer understands "leather" or at least they want it. It is fairly important because durability and wear characteristics are crucial to how a car holds up to time.

Vinyl is also known to consumers and has a really bad rap.

Yes, we should call it something new. But there are a lot of things we should do but they aren't practical and risk alienating consumers. Vegan leather is a ridiculous name but contains leather so the average consumer will be happy.