Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you mean a vinyl wrap? PPF is also a "wrap" in that it's a material applied over the paint the same way, but it is more durable. Vinyl wraps have a lifespan of 3-5 years. Good PPF often goes 7-10 years.

As for protection, are you talking about something like ceramic? That's good for UV protection and keeping it cleaner longer, but it doesn't protect against rock chips or tears.

Do you mean a vinyl wrap? PPF is also a "wrap" in that it's a material applied over the paint the same way, but it is more durable. Vinyl wraps have a lifespan of 3-5 years. Good PPF often goes 7-10 years.

As for protection, are you talking about something like ceramic? That's good for UV protection and keeping it cleaner longer, but it doesn't protect against rock chips or tears.
No I’m talking about vinyl wrap, and I mean will plaid launches/speed destroy the vinyl wrap enough to be noticeable after a short period of time, or will it hold its own against the speed

• Funny
Reactions: krsgio
The new/better way to do wraps these days is to go with the new PPF's that aren't clear, but instead look like wrap, so you don't have to put on 2 products. Rock chips will beat up an unprotected wrap.

Of course, if you park outside and/or use regular car washes, your wrap will start to look ratty even sooner without PPF.

You can always just put PPF over high wear areas of the wrap, like the front of the car, just like you do with painted cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carson Lohr
The new/better way to do wraps these days is to go with the new PPF's that aren't clear, but instead look like wrap, so you don't have to put on 2 products. Rock chips will beat up an unprotected wrap.
Yep, I second this.. you might not have as many selections but at least it'll have some kind of protective qualities.

Look into STEK PPF wraps... they've got multiple color selections. I almost went with the blue DynoChrome PPF but then the Ultra Red color came out.

If you don't have mudflaps, you might see the vinyl wrap take a beating. So if you do wrap the car, reinforce with PPF in those areas or get flaps.

Or as mentioned upstream, get STEK PPF that has a wide range of colors and is much more durable. That is likely the route I will go. I don't know that I want a complete color change but I do want to break it up a bit. STEK has some pretty interesting color options now.

Reactions: Carson Lohr