Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid X Vibration at beginning of each drive: Who is experiencing this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Feb delivery 2022 X Plaid here

I've experienced this, but narrowed it down to my suspension being in the midst of lowering when it happens. My driveway is a little steep, so I set my suspension to extra high to lower the risk of scraping something. If I pull down my driveway and start driving away before it finishes lowering back to normal, I feel the vibration. I have a feeling this might be different from what others are experiencing, but wanted to share just in case.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
This is one of the things on my service ticket for my plaid X.. I get it back from service Thursday and I’ll let y’all know what they say.. it’s not the suspension because after the rumble goes away a few minutes into the drive I can raise and lower the suspension as often as I like with no rumble

This is one of the things on my service ticket for my plaid X.. I get it back from service Thursday and I’ll let y’all know what they say.. it’s not the suspension because after the rumble goes away a few minutes into the drive I can raise and lower the suspension as often as I like with no rumble
Did you have a solution here? What did they say/do to fix it?

Did you have a solution here? What did they say/do to fix it?
My Plaid Model X (550 miles) is currently with Tesla as well. Had a couple small fixes (door censor, small paint issue on an edge from the aluminum press not being cleaned up) and the exact vibration you’re all discussing. I had to take a drive with the head tech for him to understand what I was talking about. They were submitting the issue to Tesla to get guidance, so if you’ve had success, let me know. Will report back as well.

My Plaid Model X (550 miles) is currently with Tesla as well. Had a couple small fixes (door censor, small paint issue on an edge from the aluminum press not being cleaned up) and the exact vibration you’re all discussing. I had to take a drive with the head tech for him to understand what I was talking about. They were submitting the issue to Tesla to get guidance, so if you’ve had success, let me know. Will report back as well.
No success. Tesla now calls it, “normal”…

No success. Tesla now calls it, “normal”…
Read your thread, and while it certainly may be related (a broad plaid issue) it looks like you’re talking about a model s. This model x plaid issue is very temporary (first 2-3min max driving), and then completely disappears. Only comes back after the cars been sitting for a more extended period. Is that the same thing you’ve noticed with the model s? My car’s in the shop still, but will report back. Has anyone tried to precondition the car before driving to see if that alleviates?

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
Read your thread, and while it certainly may be related (a broad plaid issue) it looks like you’re talking about a model s. This model x plaid issue is very temporary (first 2-3min max driving), and then completely disappears. Only comes back after the cars been sitting for a more extended period. Is that the same thing you’ve noticed with the model s? My car’s in the shop still, but will report back. Has anyone tried to precondition the car before driving to see if that alleviates?
I have tried preconditioning but it does not do anything so resolve the issue

Mine is still there, and at this point I can say 99% of the time the first drive will experience for the first few mins. It is noticeable once you hit 25mph or so, and persists through about 60mph. I wonder if its related to the front motor powering up. I don't think suspension heights make any difference (my car stays in "low" by default and I don't have it raising for driveway or anything).

However, sometimes while driving I feel like I might hear/notice it on acceleration. And my yoke will have a slight vibration in it, and I wonder if its all related. Haven't opened a ticket yet....

Mine is still there, and at this point I can say 99% of the time the first drive will experience for the first few mins. It is noticeable once you hit 25mph or so, and persists through about 60mph. I wonder if its related to the front motor powering up. I don't think suspension heights make any difference (my car stays in "low" by default and I don't have it raising for driveway or anything).

However, sometimes while driving I feel like I might hear/notice it on acceleration. And my yoke will have a slight vibration in it, and I wonder if its all related. Haven't opened a ticket yet....
Car returned today from SC. All small issues (paint & censor) fixed, but vibration described in this thread was not. Tesla headquarters acknowledged the problem has been occurring and did not write it off as normal. Instead gathered pretty much every data point they could on the car, had the techs examine every bolt and connection in drivetrain/bottom of car/wheels, etc. and returned it. Head tech said his bet is that it’s some sort of software related issue in those early minutes of driving, but they couldn’t identify. My understanding is that Tesla will be gathering data from as many plaid X’s as they can through the SC’s until they identify and fix, so I’d encourage you all to make appointments. For what it’s worth, this issue doesn’t bother me enough to stop me from enjoying the car immensely. Issue included, this car is so much better than my 2019 Model X Performance it doesn’t even compare. More than anything, I just wanted confirmation from the SC that this wasn’t some serious structural issue or indication of a part failing. We’ll see what happens

Car returned today from SC. All small issues (paint & censor) fixed, but vibration described in this thread was not. Tesla headquarters acknowledged the problem has been occurring and did not write it off as normal. Instead gathered pretty much every data point they could on the car, had the techs examine every bolt and connection in drivetrain/bottom of car/wheels, etc. and returned it. Head tech said his bet is that it’s some sort of software related issue in those early minutes of driving, but they couldn’t identify. My understanding is that Tesla will be gathering data from as many plaid X’s as they can through the SC’s until they identify and fix, so I’d encourage you all to make appointments. For what it’s worth, this issue doesn’t bother me enough to stop me from enjoying the car immensely. Issue included, this car is so much better than my 2019 Model X Performance it doesn’t even compare. More than anything, I just wanted confirmation from the SC that this wasn’t some serious structural issue or indication of a part failing. We’ll see what happens
Was told something similar on the Model S, but no commitments, ECD’s or timing… just, “Engineering is aware…. They are looking at it…. No fix or SB at this point….”

I def feel something in the pedal but to reiterate, it goes away after a few mins or at about a mile of driving or so. No vibration in the yoke but def a hum from what I suspect are the front motors that then probably translates into a slight vibration in the pedal. Service appt on Tuesday so ill be sure to report back.
I took delivery 4 days ago. Now have 100 miles on a brand new Model S Plaid and absolutely have exactly the same experience. The vibration is not on acceleration but is pronounced at speeds over about 10 mph and increases up to 30. It is felt in the pedal and steering column as well. It does completely resolve after about 1 mile of travel. Does not seem to be dependent on the suspension height.

I def feel something in the pedal but to reiterate, it goes away after a few mins or at about a mile of driving or so. No vibration in the yoke but def a hum from what I suspect are the front motors that then probably translates into a slight vibration in the pedal. Service appt on Tuesday so ill be sure to report back.
I have the exact same experience. Goes away in about a mile and does not return during the drive. Does not seem to be related to suspension height. And I agree I feel it in the pedal and the steering column as well.