Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid X Vibration at beginning of each drive: Who is experiencing this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Came here searching for this issue with my X Plaid. I have appointment scheduled with Tesla and they put "check tire pressure" as far as vibration goes. Vibration is pronounced around 35mph speed and it goes away within a minute or two. Happens every morning or if car not driven for a while. Tire pressure is set at 42 (picked up with random pressure in all tires ranging from 41 to 48) - I doubt it is tires or their pressure. It feels like driving on rough road and my street is anything but rough...

I have an acceleration shudder at 35-42 mph... lots of model s owners are sharing the same experience:

I picked up my MXP on 6/30/22 and I too have that vibration around that time at 34-40sh mph. Has anyone gotten answers?

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
Guys maybe a dumb question but is it harmful to the X to drive around town constantly putting it in high (and very high at stop lights)?

I like being high up like an actual a SUV. And accelerating.
You will probably damage your front axles way sooner than normal on high. There is a design flaw with the X that places the drive unit too high relative the the wheels. Result is a sever angle in the cv joint. With the power of the X, the torque at this angle wears the axle out in as little as 2000 miles and you get the classic "shutter" on acceleration where it sounds Ike you placed bee bees in a can and shake them and feels it.

The help for this is to keep the car on low or as low as you can as that places the axles as straight as they can be. Original X had option for "default to low" and was recommended. Refresh just defaults to low.

Use high at you own risk. Atleast Tesla will replace the axles under warantee.

I know this is a Plaid thread, but when we can back after a 4 day vacation our X had 851 miles and was just aligned by Tesla . When drove it cold I noticed a vibration in back that felt like wheel out of balance or flat spot for first minute or so. It's a 6/22 Long Range X.

That was first time felt it. Had been there a couple times since. Same thing, goes away after a minute. Feels like a tire has a flat spot from sitting. Will monitor. Will also be interesting in Nov when I swap on my Winter tires. On rims with good balance and didn't have any shake on our old 2020 X that we used them on last winter.

I mean as long as it doesn’t break down I don’t care. I love my X so much!
Maybe I'm alone here, but it is embarrassing when your $130K+ car has a shimmy and can't be fixed. Others that get a ride ask what it that? They know it's not right because no other car they have does that. Sure fans accept, but wife not so much. Not-fans, not so much.

It wouldn't be acceptable on a $20k Kia as people would say what a cheap price of junk. (they are not by the way, daughters Kia is smooth and has never had a repair in 30k miles). Why is it OK on a $100k+ car?

Tesla need to be held accountable and fix this stuff.

Reactions: Elixir
Maybe I'm alone here, but it is embarrassing when your $130K+ car has a shimmy and can't be fixed. Others that get a ride ask what it that? They know it's not right because no other car they have does that. Sure fans accept, but wife not so much. Not-fans, not so much.

It wouldn't be acceptable on a $20k Kia as people would say what a cheap price of junk. (they are not by the way, daughters Kia is smooth and has never had a repair in 30k miles). Why is it OK on a $100k+ car?

Tesla need to be held accountable and fix this stuff.
Ikr?!

Reactions: Elixir
Expensive cars can have issues, so can inexpensive cars. The price of the car does not guarantee flawless ownership. Reality is that more expensive cars tend to have more issues than inexpensive cars due to more complexity.

Expensive cars can have issues, so can inexpensive cars. The price of the car does not guarantee flawless ownership. Reality is that more expensive cars tend to have more issues than inexpensive cars due to more complexity.

I can't name any other current-model car that has a vibrating drivetrain that the manufacturer has chosen to sweep under the rug completely, especially in the EV world.

Last edited:
I can't name any other current-model car that has a vibrating drivetrain that the manufacturer has chosen to sweep under the rug completely, especially in the EV world.
Agreed. We can keep making excuses but I wonder how the Toyota or Honda driver that just wants a car as reliable as a toaster will ever accept an EV with problems like this. To get to 20 million cars a year by 2030, Tesla is going to have to expand to that market. (Not cutting on those owners, just saying the Japanese reliability was one reason American moved to Japanese imports in the 1970s and 1980s (with lower prices) and never looked back to buy from The Big Three. American reliability was not good back then and has improved ALOT. But I know people who still only look at Japanese brands. Tesla is not going to impress them and get their business unless things change.)

Just to add to the fun. I picked up the X plaid in mid March 22. I have about 10k miles and have noticed the same rumbling/vibration when starting a new drive (first drive of the day) for about 30-60 seconds, then it goes away. I just assumed it was something to do with heating the motors or something of the sort.

I have a (another) SC appt set for next week for some other issues, I'll ask about this and see what they say. If anything, I was told that they need to hear about these issues. (i chuckled when he said that...but still love the car regardless).

Reactions: blodg1
Agreed. We can keep making excuses but I wonder how the Toyota or Honda driver that just wants a car as reliable as a toaster will ever accept an EV with problems like this. To get to 20 million cars a year by 2030, Tesla is going to have to expand to that market. (Not cutting on those owners, just saying the Japanese reliability was one reason American moved to Japanese imports in the 1970s and 1980s (with lower prices) and never looked back to buy from The Big Three. American reliability was not good back then and has improved ALOT. But I know people who still only look at Japanese brands. Tesla is not going to impress them and get their business unless things change.)
The Y is just that: absolutely rock solid engineering.

Reactions: jebinc
Just to add to the fun. I picked up the X plaid in mid March 22. I have about 10k miles and have noticed the same rumbling/vibration when starting a new drive (first drive of the day) for about 30-60 seconds, then it goes away. I just assumed it was something to do with heating the motors or something of the sort.

I have a (another) SC appt set for next week for some other issues, I'll ask about this and see what they say. If anything, I was told that they need to hear about these issues. (i chuckled when he said that...but still love the car regardless).

I have a new plaid X and had my issue start with a sense of a sound on accelerating from 30 MPR up. Several days later besides hearing the sound [low frequency] could feel it in the yoke and felt like from the front. Occurs with plaid and sport setting less with chill setting. Took it to the SC and the feeling it is probably a firm ware issue as the car decides how much power to give to back motors and front motor. Everything else is fine with car and Tesla is tracking this but no one knows what is the cause. Everything else on car is fine. Gives me a pause as to taking the car to drive across country. I guess we will have to wait until Tesla solves the problem. Seems like a lot of cars are having a similar problem; not just the plaids. Yes a little disappointing for such nice cars; but If a software problem, should be fixable; and no matter cause should be fixed. Hang in there!

The Y is just that: absolutely rock solid engineering.
Not so sure. I know the X is about last in Consumer Reports Reliability and a quick search showed S,Y and X are all not great. JDPower said Telsa low also. The 3 did get above-average rating so that it good however.

A quick search show MULTIPLE reports of the Y not being very good for 2020 and 2021.

"Commonly reported issues from Model Y owners included defective sensors that had to be replaced, problems with heat pumps, air conditioning, body panels that didn’t line up and water leaks in the trunk due to missing seals..." Nov 21, CNBC talking about electric cars and reliability.

Not so sure. I know the X is about last in Consumer Reports Reliability and a quick search showed S,Y and X are all not great. JDPower said Telsa low also. The 3 did get above-average rating so that it good however.

A quick search show MULTIPLE reports of the Y not being very good for 2020 and 2021.

"Commonly reported issues from Model Y owners included defective sensors that had to be replaced, problems with heat pumps, air conditioning, body panels that didn’t line up and water leaks in the trunk due to missing seals..." Nov 21, CNBC talking about electric cars and reliability.
CNBC is not a source I’d trust re: negative Tesla news. Unfortunately there aren’t many sources I would trust on Tesla.

It would be nice if Tesla would publish some aggregate (by iteration) statistics on major reliability issues, like drivability etc. (minor stuff like trim work etc may confound the picture if broadly included).

I suspect the latest Tesla Model Y has extreme general reliability.

And that’s another thing. Tesla is so different: what caused a reliability issue on a car made three weeks ago might have been iterated into a better design by now. So without manufacturer-originating reliability information, I objectivelyy have little reason to believe what the media say, even if they were not (often) so anti-Tesla, because aggregate statistics do not accurately apply even to a single Tesla product (constantly being improved).

Reactions: MobileClimate
CNBC is not a source I’d trust re: negative Tesla news. Unfortunately there aren’t many sources I would trust on Tesla.
Who can we trust? Not CNBC ok. Not Consumer Reports, not JD Powers. OK... Not many reliability studying places left. Going to use personal experiences then? Got it. My first 2020 X had WAY more problems than any other car I owned with low miles, ever. Lets see, it destroyed axle cv joints, lost a window regulator, a creek noise in front that needed lube somewhere, trunk latch replaced because internals failed and didn't know it was closed, and the software bugs! From the time car got stuck in off and almost stranded us (except for TMC imparted knowledge of wheel change reset to save the day) to a useless browser that crashes whole UI if page more complex than Google, to Park Assist Unavailable warning ever 3 minutes in centain firmware, to useless Hulu that never took login credentials.

My experience echoes CR and JD Powers so no need for me to cherry pick and say I don't trust. They say the X has bad reliability and my X fit that mold exactly.