Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid X Vibration at beginning of each drive: Who is experiencing this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who can we trust? Not CNBC ok. Not Consumer Reports, not JD Powers. OK... Not many reliability studying places left. Going to use personal experiences then? Got it. My first 2020 X had WAY more problems than any other car I owned with low miles, ever. Lets see, it destroyed axle cv joints, lost a window regulator, a creek noise in front that needed lube somewhere, trunk latch replaced because internals failed and didn't know it was closed, and the software bugs! From the time car got stuck in off and almost stranded us (except for TMC imparted knowledge of wheel change reset to save the day) to a useless browser that crashes whole UI if page more complex than Google, to Park Assist Unavailable warning ever 3 minutes in centain firmware, to useless Hulu that never took login credentials.

My experience echoes CR and JD Powers so no need for me to cherry pick and say I don't trust. They say the X has bad reliability and my X fit that mold exactly.
Model X is a Fabergé egg.
Even then I think the Refresh is great.

But the Model Y is a different beast altogether.
Especially the whole-body casting Model Y.

I took delivery 4 days ago. Now have 100 miles on a brand new Model S Plaid and absolutely have exactly the same experience. The vibration is not on acceleration but is pronounced at speeds over about 10 mph and increases up to 30. It is felt in the pedal and steering column as well. It does completely resolve after about 1 mile of travel. Does not seem to be dependent on the suspension height.
I have a 2022 S plaid 400 miles
I have a rubber stamp of your issue
Tesla said they are aware of it and have a service bulletin on it. They are only gathering info at this time

• Love
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Having experienced this quite a few times now, I characterize this as a grinding sound and vibration I can feel in the pedals. Not really the steering wheel though. Always goes away after a minute or a little longer. I'm not personally concerned. I suspect this is something intentional in the system related to starting up or some sort of calibration. It only ever happens the first drive of the day.

Reactions: MGreene
Same symptoms for me as well 500mile Plaid20”. With windows rolled up it causes me to pop my ears a few times. I first thought it was the active noise canceling but turning that Off/on made no impact. Like a others it goes away within mins. I thought it was slight tire flat spotting. Love my X though and won’t bring it in for this. I need my ride here!

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Got my Model X Plaid yesterday and noticed the vibration this morning. I used to be a Chassis and Suspension ASE certified tech and would say it resembles some type of slop or play in the drive system. Since I know nothing about the drive train on Teslas I'm not going to pretend I know what it is but my guess would be something out of balance(or too much play) between the drive motors and wheels. I made a service request but whatever it is, it won't be a simple fix.

Got my Model X Plaid yesterday and noticed the vibration this morning. I used to be a Chassis and Suspension ASE certified tech and would say it resembles some type of slop or play in the drive system. Since I know nothing about the drive train on Teslas I'm not going to pretend I know what it is but my guess would be something out of balance(or too much play) between the drive motors and wheels. I made a service request but whatever it is, it won't be a simple fix.
If it is something out of balance or too much play, why would it disappear every time within a minute or so?

If it is something out of balance or too much play, why would it disappear every time within a minute or so?

It's not anything like that. The vibration is a mechanical grind of some sort that only happens on the first drive of the day and then disappears instantly after a short while. i.e. whatever it is turns off. It's not like something heats up and expands reducing clearances or something like that. I really think this is some sort of abs calibration or even a rear drive unit torque vectoring calibration routine.

I did some research. My vibration started day 1 after playing around with Plaid mode a little. I found an article that said the motors produce to much torque for the drive axles when using Plaid mode and the front drive axle gets twisted. Makes sense because my vibration feels like a bent drive shaft or bad u-joint and mainly happens when accelerating now. I have a service appointment in 4 days. Not sure if they will warranty it but I guarantee I won't be using Plaid mode ever again once it's fixed.

• Funny
Reactions: WilliamG and jebinc
I did some research. My vibration started day 1 after playing around with Plaid mode a little. I found an article that said the motors produce to much torque for the drive axles when using Plaid mode and the front drive axle gets twisted. Makes sense because my vibration feels like a bent drive shaft or bad u-joint and mainly happens when accelerating now. I have a service appointment in 4 days. Not sure if they will warranty it but I guarantee I won't be using Plaid mode ever again once it's fixed.

You're in the wrong thread. This is a different vibration that is well known in both characteristic and cause. That particular problem has not been confirmed yet with the Plaid X. A very few have claimed they have the shudder on acceleration but until they post a video with proof, I'm considering it unconfirmed.

Reactions: jebinc

Let me get this right. You shelled out a ton for a Plaid, and your solution is to let Tesla off the hook by never driving it in the mode you paid for? Wow, okay…. To each….

Reactions: WilliamG
I think we are describing two different problems. Mine is mostly between 30 and 50 mph and worse when first starts off; seems to be less in chill; but don’t really want to use that. A little shudder on plaid all out acceleration I suspect all have some of that. I too think something with balance of power going to the 3 motors and my service reps have suggested it will be a firmware fix. But who knows. I like plaid but really the sport setting while not on the highway is way fast enough.

I think we are describing two different problems. Mine is mostly between 30 and 50 mph and worse when first starts off; seems to be less in chill; but don’t really want to use that. A little shudder on plaid all out acceleration I suspect all have some of that. I too think something with balance of power going to the 3 motors and my service reps have suggested it will be a firmware fix. But who knows. I like plaid but really the sport setting while not on the highway is way fast enough.
May as well have the standard X at that point...

Reactions: sorka
Have done as SDrick says but you do use less electricity by sport setting; and if you have never driven a plaid, sometimes it is just too fast [said from someone who has always said there is no such thing as too much horsepower!]. I wanted something easier to get in a out of than a S and wanted something that would be 0-60 same as my p85dl and the regular x did not have that. So without being able to try a plaid x; away I went and have it before all the price increases. Other than the yoke, I love it. It will take a while to correct the vibration but suspect will be firmware fix. Got to admit, until this settled not wanting to drive it across country, without knowing what the problem really is.