Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid X Vibration at beginning of each drive: Who is experiencing this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have done as SDrick says but you do use less electricity by sport setting;

I'm not sure if this is accurate. Yes, the plaid mode can certainly consume more electricity. My hunch is that electricity consumption would be the same if the amount of acceleration and speed are the same. I could be wrong but I look at it like filling a water jug. The bigger the pipe, the faster it can fill. But if the valve is set for 1 gallon per minute, it does not matter the size of the pipe.

Have done as SDrick says but you do use less electricity by sport setting; and if you have never driven a plaid, sometimes it is just too fast [said from someone who has always said there is no such thing as too much horsepower!]. I wanted something easier to get in a out of than a S and wanted something that would be 0-60 same as my p85dl and the regular x did not have that. So without being able to try a plaid x; away I went and have it before all the price increases. Other than the yoke, I love it. It will take a while to correct the vibration but suspect will be firmware fix. Got to admit, until this settled not wanting to drive it across country, without knowing what the problem really is.

The standard X is actually faster than the P85DL from anything faster than 30 mph and higher. If you're not going to use the Plaid power, you give up a lot getting a Plaid over the regular X-LR. It costs more, you have a 50% higher chance of being stranded by a drive unit failure, and it's range is significantly lower.

I'm not sure if this is accurate. Yes, the plaid mode can certainly consume more electricity. My hunch is that electricity consumption would be the same if the amount of acceleration and speed are the same. I could be wrong but I look at it like filling a water jug. The bigger the pipe, the faster it can fill. But if the valve is set for 1 gallon per minute, it does not matter the size of the pipe.

You are correct. Plaid mode in itself does not use any more power, it just allows more power if you use. If you accelerate no faster than sport while in Plaid mode, it consume no more power than sport.

Reactions: WilliamG
I noticed this issue on my MXP too. I noticed it the next morning after delivery. The vibration came in every first drive in the morning. The vibration is a mild rumble and hum in the front of the car during acceleration. It has ~1200 miles on it now and I felt it happened more frequently than it was brand new. Now it's every first drive after it's parked for more than an hour. In the beginning, I thought it was just because of the cooler morning temperature and I raised this issue on my first Fremont SC visit. The tech said it was normal because the fluids needed to be spun up in the motor. 😂 I'm about to schedule my third visit to Fremont SC and will put this issue in the ticket.

I noticed this issue on my MXP too. I noticed it the next morning after delivery. The vibration came in every first drive in the morning. The vibration is a mild rumble and hum in the front of the car during acceleration. It has ~1200 miles on it now and I felt it happened more frequently than it was brand new. Now it's every first drive after it's parked for more than an hour. In the beginning, I thought it was just because of the cooler morning temperature and I raised this issue on my first Fremont SC visit. The tech said it was normal because the fluids needed to be spun up in the motor. 😂 I'm about to schedule my third visit to Fremont SC and will put this issue in the ticket.
Which firmware are you on?

I've determined that a bunch of Plaid X owners are experiencing some sort of vibration that you can feel in the pedal during the first few mins of every drive. I don't know if any Refresh LR owners are experiencing this but if so please reply. The vibration usually lasts for a few mins or miles then seems to go away but if I stop at a store or something then get back in a start driving again, the vibration occurs again for the first few mins then goes away.

It's been happening to mine since day 1 and thought it had something to do with the suspension or just overall "warming up" of the motors but its been a few weeks since I took delivery and it hasn't gone away. I currently have 600 miles on my car.

I have mobile service coming on next week to check it out so I will report back with what they find.

Please reply below if you are experiencing this and be sure to note Plaid or LR and how many miles are currently on your car.

Hopefully it doesn't become an issue but would like to gauge how many owners are currently experiencing this. Thanks
Any news from your service visit?

Any news from your service visit?
I had mine in for service and the note was "issue is currently under investigation. It does not indicated a safety issue and is not expected to get worse or have any negative effect on vehicles' lifetime. If any improvements are available in the future, this customer will be updated." - sigh!
  • Good news - at least it's not just my MXP 2022 unique situation as others have noted previously and they are aware of the "issue" itself.
  • Bad news - no resolution yet since they don't have a fix yet.

I had mine in for service and the note was "issue is currently under investigation. It does not indicated a safety issue and is not expected to get worse or have any negative effect on vehicles' lifetime. If any improvements are available in the future, this customer will be updated." - sigh!
  • Good news - at least it's not just my MXP 2022 unique situation as others have noted previously and they are aware of the "issue" itself.
  • Bad news - no resolution yet since they don't have a fix yet.
Cliff Notes: Tesla doesn’t care. They do NOT care. Nor do they care about the more annoying vibration issue at ~38mph onward under light throttle.

Yup agreed will williamG , this will be one of those issues they won’t be able to fix or find a solution . My 2020 long range plus had a weird clunk on acceleration and deceleration, they tired to fix for 3 month and gave up, issue never went away.

code for never figuring it out is , Tesla engineers are aware and will notify you when they find a resolution

hm... i cant edit my posts with a free account- oh well...

it appears that the ashp setup is a vrf inverter driven one so the compressor rpms vary depending on load and setpoints. what i have observed is that upon start the compressor is running at full tilt but the vibrations are somewhat masked by the algorithm that throttles compressor rpms based on vehicle road speed- for example if you come to a stop as the compressor is running hard it will slow down to minimize vibrations. some compressors are vibration free, others vibrate a bit and some vibrate a lot. a combination of bushing stiffness, compressor rotating assembly balance and ... the phase of the moon results in the steering vibration being unique for every vehicle.

i imagine tesla runs the compressor at 100% initially to bring the cabin up/down to setpoint temp as quickly as possible. maybe there should be an option for more "lax" setpoint targeting that does not spin up to compressor as aggressively in the beginning, but reaches set point slower and vibration free

Yup agreed will williamG , this will be one of those issues they won’t be able to fix or find a solution . My 2020 long range plus had a weird clunk on acceleration and deceleration, they tired to fix for 3 month and gave up, issue never went away.

code for never figuring it out is , Tesla engineers are aware and will notify you when they find a resolution
I saw a toolbox article on that saying to check the rear motor mount on the front motor passenger side check for loose bolt ..also AC compressor mount bolts being loose also can cause wired intermittent vibrations