Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid X Vibration at beginning of each drive: Who is experiencing this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my Plaid with less than 100 miles has same issue. I thought it was like tire rubbing or something, but hearing this gives me more comfort. i have slight creaking in my dash at low speed and turning my wheels.

the vibration is very faint when first starting to drive..but maybe it gets worse would be the issue. it doesnt bother me that much right now

Noticed this in mine too. At first I thought it was a drive train issue and tried forcing it into neutral but no difference. This very likely the cooling system prepping the battery for launches. I noticed that selecting comfort instead of plaid reduced the vibration for me. It’s also only in start up for about a minute

• Helpful
Reactions: strider
Same vibration on my MX Plaid when driving in the morning, once motors warm up, vibration goes away. My MS Plaid doesn't have that.. I'm used to it already, still loving these vehicles, so much fun to drive, and yeah, skipping those gas station rock.

Reactions: jebinc
May or may not be related, I get a vibration through the car which does come through a little through the pedal / seat. I've noticed it's related to the AC (heatpump). The SC said they will do a firmware refresh on it when I go in next.

Perhaps try to put the AC on cold full blast and see how that affects things?

So I've had my Tesla X Plaid for 5-6 months and I've gone 10k miles or so on it. I had this shudder since day 1. The shudder turned into a weird metal grinding sound a month ago. When I brought it in they said the half shaft was worn. They replaced it. The next day it fell off. I had to car towed in. They replaced it again. Then I took the car home with no shudder for about a week. The shudder is back. I don't know if the half shaft is 100% related to the beginning of the drive slow mph shudder I experience every morning or not. But if I start hearing grinding again I'm bringing it right back. And if they replace the half shaft again I'm going to start talking to a lemon lawyer. The fact that after each fix it went away for a short time is what is making me think they are related.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
So I've had my Tesla X Plaid for 5-6 months and I've gone 10k miles or so on it. I had this shudder since day 1. The shudder turned into a weird metal grinding sound a month ago. When I brought it in they said the half shaft was worn. They replaced it. The next day it fell off. I had to car towed in. They replaced it again. Then I took the car home with no shudder for about a week. The shudder is back. I don't know if the half shaft is 100% related to the beginning of the drive slow mph shudder I experience every morning or not. But if I start hearing grinding again I'm bringing it right back. And if they replace the half shaft again I'm going to start talking to a lemon lawyer. The fact that after each fix it went away for a short time is what is making me think they are related.
Wow. Unreal. I’ve had the vibration in my MSP for a year now. What crap.

Reactions: WilliamG
When you say “shudder” can you go into more detail? Just gives an idea of what was going on with it prior to things giving out…

The vibration that most are experiencing is actually electronic and related to motor magnetic field. If it were a mechanical issue the vibration would not consistently stop after a few seconds of initial driving. I believe it is some sort of calibration sequence that they haven’t been able to smooth out and don’t want to explain.

I agree with @Miltonian I think it is the car actively heating the pack at the beginning of a drive. This is a side effect of driving around in Plaid mode all the time. The manual says that it will heat and cool the battery as necessary to keep the battery at optimum temperature. We could very well be feeling the heat pump running to heat up the battery. Once the pack is at optimum temp, the vibration stops.

This would explain why we feel it less/shorter now that it has warmed up here and also why it would be less when not driving in Plaid mode.

Reactions: Chantl28
When you say “shudder” can you go into more detail? Just gives an idea of what was going on with it prior to things giving out…
It's like a clunk, some times you hear a metallic sound. Followed by when the wheel returns to straight the wheel very slightly stutters as it spins back. It feels very strange especially the thud and the loose feeling as if something has slid in or out of place. I can often be heard audibly from outside the vehicle or with the windows down.

It's like a clunk, some times you hear a metallic sound. Followed by when the wheel returns to straight the wheel very slightly stutters as it spins back. It feels very strange especially the thud and the loose feeling as if something has slid in or out of place. I can often be heard audibly from outside the vehicle or with the windows down.
That’s surely different from the vibration issue I think most of us are talking about here…?