Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid Yoke Turn Signals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just returned from a 80 minute drive to my Tesla Service center. Got my plaid about a month ago and was "learning the system" so to speak.
The turn signals had two levels of operation. The Haptic touch allowed one to gently place a finger on the button to get a few blinks of the signal. The other method was a full push of the button which got one a semi permanent turn signal. The second method turned off after a turn but not when making a pass on a 4 lane highway. It had to be physically turned off.

After using my car for a week or so, the first option, Haptic, disappeared. So, I logged a service call, drove 80 minutes one way to be told that there was nothing wrong with my car. Seems that some Yoke owners were accidentally turning on the Haptic buttons when turning the Yoke. Therefore the Tesla solution was to disable my Haptic function with software. If this was included in any Release Notes I never saw it. Thanks Tesla.

The loss of the Haptic feature is really relevant when doing lane changes, quick easy and it's done. When maneuvering in traffic the full press button i find too slow. From the time you press it till you see/hear the blinking light on the drivers panel takes too long.

Proposed suggestion:
Make this a menu item to let drivers choose.

Fred S.
Blue Bayou

I totally agree that it needs to be able to be customized. In theory, with it being a pressure sensor, you could even add customization for certain levels of pressure and how much haptics you receive + what you want it to do when that happens.

Assuming it works properly all the time and unfortunately the Tesla smart features never do.
Works really well. The only time it has "failed" is actually that it turns off prematurely if the turn marker painted on the turn lane is faint or worn - it then seems to think I've just done a lane change and turns off the blinker.

That said, has been working really well at all times so far, city streets and highway. Even turns off after I've exited and am on an off-ramp.

6F8D30BB-7DCF-4E41-9FB6-FADEA36D297D.png
I just saw this on a Model S on Autotrader. Not sure why you'd cover the turn signal buttons and horn with felt circles!!

I just got the update 2021.36.5.1 where it changes the behavior of the signal button on my Model S LR Yoke.
One thing I notice immediately is that there's a buzzing electrical sound coming from the left side of the yoke.

It was fine when you enter the vehicle after it completely shut down, but the moment you click the blinker it start buzzing and nothing I do eliminate the buzz.

I'm wondering if anybody encounter similar issue?

I just got the update 2021.36.5.1 where it changes the behavior of the signal button on my Model S LR Yoke.
One thing I notice immediately is that there's a buzzing electrical sound coming from the left side of the yoke.

It was fine when you enter the vehicle after it completely shut down, but the moment you click the blinker it start buzzing and nothing I do eliminate the buzz.

I'm wondering if anybody encounter similar issue?
Can you take video of the issue?

I tried to take video and check if the sound is audible, but the microphone didn't pick it up (too much ambient noise gain). I'll try it again with different device tomorrow.
I definitely hear it when the AC and radio is off. I was trying to find where the buzz coming from, so I move my ear around and isolate it to exactly the left area of my yoke near the signal button.
I never encountered this issue before the update.
Did you hear anything after you activate and deactivate the signal?
Thanks again.

I manage to record the sound.
Must listen through headphones to hear the electric buzz.
On 00:02 I clicked the microphone button on the Yoke.
00:04 I moved the phone to the buzzing area.
00:07 you can hear the buzz
clicking sound on 00:08-00:10 happened because I'm moving the phone.
00:15 I manage to get the microphone closer to the problematic area.

I have scheduled a SC appointment early November for other issue and will ask them if they have anything to say about this issue.

Attachments

• Location of Buzz.jpg
    Location of Buzz.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 1,174
  • ModelS_Yoke_buzzclip.zip
    317 KB · Views: 113
I don't know about you guys, but I cannot get used to the yoke turn signals. I cannot get the 1st stage blinker to flash for lane changes on the first attempt (80% of the time). I find myself hitting it to activate it to switch lanes then it stays on. I cannot listen to music because I have to hear the clicking or my blinker will stay on like an idiot. It's more of a safety issue at this point to constantly look down at the blinker to see if it's on or if it even turned on for the lane change.

I don't know about you guys, but I cannot get used to the yoke turn signals. I cannot get the 1st stage blinker to flash for lane changes on the first attempt (80% of the time). I find myself hitting it to activate it to switch lanes then it stays on. I cannot listen to music because I have to hear the clicking or my blinker will stay on like an idiot. It's more of a safety issue at this point to constantly look down at the blinker to see if it's on or if it even turned on for the lane change.
There is no first stage blinker anymore. With the latest updates the turn signal will turn off by itself after you change lane (using vision system). Please check your software release notes in the car to see if you have this update yet.

Reactions: RobotX and SVL77