Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaids with 20" tires AND rear inner tire wear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you have 5 minutes you may want to give this a read, there are more economical solutions to plaid camber issues that are super easy to install and do not require a realignment as long as rear toe is already within spec. Why does the Tesla S and X have too much camber?
They blame camber which is the lesser problem. Toe is the bigger problem and alignment not done at low ride height is second.

Reactions: Sam1
Can you send us a picture of your rear tire wear? Any good alignment shop should be able to help. Ask them if they have the newest machines from Hunter, or have an experienced tech if they are running older hardware.

If you are running in low height, ask them if they suggest reducing the toe to near 0, and the camber to a bit less than 1.5 (1.0 should be fine for your driving) - hopefully that may help rear inside tire wear.

Just wanted to update this thread. I had a mail in my rear tire so I had my rear tires replaced yesterday. I had about 26.000 miles on my 20” Michelin Pilot Sport A/S4 tires and drive on low suspension height as default and about 46lbs of tire pressure.

After taking the rear tires off both tires have worn evenly throughout and have about 6/32 of wear left.

I need to check the front tires next.

I’m at 2800 miles on my 20 inch Michelin PS4S’s and have not had any noticeable tire ware or shudder issues. But, I wanted my Plaid to sit a little lower and wanted to prevent any excessive tire ware or 1/2 shaft issues. So yesterday I had N2itive lowering links and rear camber arms installed. While mostly a preventative measure I’m happy with the better tracking and feel of the car. Some of which might be due to having it aligned also. I figure it’s worth the $2000 spent on a $140,000 car.
What setting did you set your camber arms to? I have my lowering links at 5 and my camber arms at +8 but it “feels” a little squirrelly. I think maybe +4-5 may be a better setting? I’m trying to get into a local speed shop that can do a quality alignment. Just curious of your thoughts.

What setting did you set your camber arms to? I have my lowering links at 5 and my camber arms at +8 but it “feels” a little squirrelly. I think maybe +4-5 may be a better setting? I’m trying to get into a local speed shop that can do a quality alignment. Just curious of your thoughts.
Check your alignment. Adjusting your camber will affect your Toe. I had to adjust one side to +3 (was -1.5 degrees) and the other +9 (was -3 degrees) my steering wheel was off center when driving after and it was due to the Toe change. The car was squirrelly as you mention and if I punched it pulled to the left. My +9 wheel was toe out I could see it on the mirror.

Check your alignment. Adjusting your camber will affect your Toe. I had to adjust one side to +3 (was -1.5 degrees) and the other +9 (was -3 degrees) my steering wheel was off center when driving after and it was due to the Toe change. The car was squirrelly as you mention and if I punched it pulled to the left. My +9 wheel was toe out I could see it on the mirror.
Thank you for taking time to respond. I’m having trouble getting an appointment for the alignment so I’m just “hunting” for a middle safe range until I can get that done (hopefully very soon). I think I’ll back them both down to +5 for now and see how that feels. I did buy the macsboost spacers and they are only a 3mm spacer (I ended up not using them due to adding the lowering links and wanting some adjustment). Anyhow, I know “hunting” is a fools errand but it feels like there’s way too much positive camber now. That was a LOT of words just to say thank you… but again, thank you.

Looking at running 20” 285/35/20 square setup on my Plaid, so definitely interested in if people with 20” wheels are impacted like the 21’s on my car. 19”s are fine so 20” is questionable. I know different tires for those thinking it’s purely a tire issue so not apples to apples.
@alienranch did you end up going with a 285/35/20 square setup? If so, what's your feedback on it?

Just wanted to update this thread. I had a mail in my rear tire so I had my rear tires replaced yesterday. I had about 26.000 miles on my 20” Michelin Pilot Sport A/S4 tires and drive on low suspension height as default and about 46lbs of tire pressure.

After taking the rear tires off both tires have worn evenly throughout and have about 6/32 of wear left.

@patgilm That's great to hear! Are you lowered and/or have camber arms? Did you get an alignment?

I just swapped the arachnids for a 20" +35 square setup with 285/35/20 tires. Have driven about 200 miles on low ride height setting so far.

I have the same concern as the OP.... Whether or not to get the camber arms and alignment or Only the alignment, or just leave it as is?

Any feedback would be appreciated! Love this car

Attachments

• 20230610_094408.jpg
    20230610_094408.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 130
@patgilm That's great to hear! Are you lowered and/or have camber arms? Did you get an alignment?

I just swapped the arachnids for a 20" +35 square setup with 285/35/20 tires. Have driven about 200 miles on low ride height setting so far.

I have the same concern as the OP.... Whether or not to get the camber arms and alignment or Only the alignment, or just leave it as is?

I just swapped wheels and tires, no other modifications and no alignment done. No lowering links, camber arms, etc.

My take on this is - >3 deg camber and / or toe out in the rears will cause accelerated wear.

My suggestion is to get your alignment done and check the specs. Do not assume that just because your specs are within range that all is good. Tesla specs on toe and camber are too wide.

If you have less than 1.5deg camber or more than 2.5 deg camber (front or rear) and more than .05” toe out (fronts or rears), get the appropriate suspension links for it.

Did you have the inner edge wear issue with the Arachnids?