Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaids with 20" tires AND rear inner tire wear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. I have around 3,000 miles on my 20" Michelins PS4S MO1 MERCEDES, ACOUSTIC TECH XL staggered set with 265/40 fronts and 295/35 rears with OEM suspension settings driving always in LOW. Note that I don't have a heavy foot.

I just read the 42 pages of this thread:

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

I'm still not sure if I need rear control arms for camber since all tire wear issues reported are 21s".

I don't want to throw away $2,000 in camber arms/links without needing it.

Also, how important is it to install lowering links due to a "possible" shudder issue?.

Thanks.

Hi all. I have around 3,000 miles on my 20" Michelins PS4S MO1 MERCEDES, ACOUSTIC TECH XL staggered set with 265/40 fronts and 295/35 rears with OEM suspension settings driving always in LOW. Note that I don't have a heavy foot.

I just read the 42 pages of this thread:

Plaid 21” rear tire woes - factory defect?

I'm still not sure if I need rear control arms for camber since all tire wear issues reported are 21s".

I don't want to throw away $2,000 in camber arms/links without needing it.

Also, how important is it to install lowering links due to a "possible" shudder issue?.

Thanks.
I’m at 2800 miles on my 20 inch Michelin PS4S’s and have not had any noticeable tire ware or shudder issues. But, I wanted my Plaid to sit a little lower and wanted to prevent any excessive tire ware or 1/2 shaft issues. So yesterday I had N2itive lowering links and rear camber arms installed. While mostly a preventative measure I’m happy with the better tracking and feel of the car. Some of which might be due to having it aligned also. I figure it’s worth the $2000 spent on a $140,000 car.

Reactions: tatoweb
Looking at running 20” 285/35/20 square setup on my Plaid, so definitely interested in if people with 20” wheels are impacted like the 21’s on my car. 19”s are fine so 20” is questionable. I know different tires for those thinking it’s purely a tire issue so not apples to apples.

Prior to installing camber & toe arms on my legacy S, 20s wore out the inner edge like the 21s but over a broader area and not as fast.
I attribute it to the 20s softer sidewall. And 19s are even softer which is why we are not hearing problems with them.

I’m at 2800 miles on my 20 inch Michelin PS4S’s and have not had any noticeable tire ware or shudder issues. But, I wanted my Plaid to sit a little lower and wanted to prevent any excessive tire ware or 1/2 shaft issues. So yesterday I had N2itive lowering links and rear camber arms installed. While mostly a preventative measure I’m happy with the better tracking and feel of the car. Some of which might be due to having it aligned also. I figure it’s worth the $2000 spent on a $140,000 car.
Out of curiosity, what did the labor on the install of the camber arms and the lowering links cost you?

You also rotate your tires, right? Not rotating them would reveal alignment issues.
Yea that’s the reason I went with square, although I suspect my alignment must be a unicorn based on what you keep saying since my inner shoulders show no wear whatsoever. Totally even along the entire width of the tread.
You’d think even with rotation I would see some wear in the shoulders but there‘s none.
I believe that @lolachampcar is having the same experience as me.

Yea that’s the reason I went with square, although I suspect my alignment must be a unicorn based on what you keep saying since my inner shoulders show no wear whatsoever. Totally even along the entire width of the tread.
You’d think even with rotation I would see some wear in the shoulders but there‘s none.

Your alignment is good enough to not have the inner wear problem.

But the only way to say your alignment has no issues or is a unicorn, you would need to do what owners of staggered wheels do, that's not rotate them.

If you have a single picture that shows all 3 treadwear indicators we can get an idea of how well your alignment is.

Last edited:
I am..... just changed my PS4s at 30k miles without swapping tires across the car. Even wear. Always low with additional lowering arms.

Muzzman1, I guess we can never sell our cars :)

For the record. I have 275/35/20 all around with 20k. PS4S and have even wear with no issues whatsoever.
I did and alignment right after installing the new wheels At 300 miles.
275/35/20 is around 27.57" vs the 28" stock. Do you have any issues with TC or trap speeds and 60' if you go to the dragstrip? I'm debating between a square 20" setup (strip/street) or going all out on a 18" setup.

Front.png
Rear.png

I was asked how low..... I did not measure; I just set it to what looked right and made sure the ride height was even all the way around.

Reactions: Muzzman1
275/35/20 is around 27.57" vs the 28" stock. Do you have any issues with TC or trap speeds and 60' if you go to the dragstrip? I'm debating between a square 20" setup (strip/street) or going all out on a 18" setup.
No issues at all. Times are in line with what is expected. Car is dead consistent and when the track is not loose, my times are consistent with the slips shown here
IMG_8864.jpegIMG_8865.jpeg

Reactions: ramirj2