Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plain Model Y customers punished AGAIN June 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a Model Y (Long Range) and paid deposit Mar 4, 2022. I got the cheaper small wheels (better range), White paint, black interior (so it would be cool and not show stains so much) no tow hitch (bike rack gets in the way of trunk access) and no FSD (doesn't work anyway). In short, I ordered the cheapest configuration - on a $60-$70k car. At the time of order, we were upset that the EDD was, if I recall, September-Dec., but we noticed if we picked some upgrade, like blue or bigger wheels, it said August. We are in Northern California, right near the Fremont Factory.

Then they changed my EDD to Jan-April 2023...

I just noticed that it's slipped back to Mar-June 2023, so that's up to 1 Yr + 3 months already since I ordered!!!!

Are they punishing me for not ordering accessories? Or are they punishing me for ordering early at a better price?

I note that first, we had a representative contact us a few days ago and paint a very rosy picture, saying that living near the Fremont factory we would almost certainly get it much earlier than the Jan-April time. Ha!

I note that second, Elon is tweeting about laying off staff. Shoot, is he so cheap that he doesn't want to have enough staff when he has a backlog of a zillion orders?

Elon, you are treating us like crap, and we are noticing it. I hope someone tells him.

Anyone else notice this ill-treatment for not buying accessories? If it would help at this point, I would blow another $1000 to get the car sometime while I'm still alive.

-TPC

Reactions: JDEWD250
I mean, it's not like you are singled out man, everyone is in this boat. Your estimate, is that, an estimate, does it suck waiting? hell yeah, I am waiting too, but for all we know they could start pumping out MYLR's tomorrow and do nothing but that for 3 straight months. Try and enjoy life, or just get another car! Oh and stop checking the app.

Are they punishing me for not ordering accessories?
No

Or are they punishing me for ordering early at a better price?
No

Demand far exceeds supply so we all wait.
World catastrophes, e.g. the Russian invasion of Ukr or the Covid epidemic, cause supply disruption that wreak havoc with production and production estimates.

Reactions: slosh
No

No

Demand far exceeds supply so we all wait.
World catastrophes, e.g. the Russian invasion of Ukr or the Covid epidemic, cause supply disruption that wreak havoc with production and production estimates.

Sorry, I did not express myself correctly: Just before ordering, the sales associated at the test drive showed us that if you order some upgrade, more expensive paint, 20" wheels, tow, FSD, whatever, you would get a one month earlier delivery date. This is well-known, as fishy 21 seconded. What I think I'm seeing, however, is that people who did not simply pay a couple a $1000 extra are repeatedly and ever more shat upon. All the people who bought Performance models around the same time have LONG been driving their cars. I suspect, but I'm not sure, that people who made minor upgrades are also getting deliveries, when those us of "no-frills" folks (as much as a car for more than $60k can be called no frills) are simply slipping farther and father back forever... say, until some time in 2024 when they are able to fill all the more profitable Performance model orders and competition from other electrics starts eroding their order backlog.

Look, if you want to penalize me one month for spending $10000 less, OK if you make that explicitly clear and make that limited to a month or two. But penalizing me (all of us with no-frills orders) for like 9 months is just unreasonably harsh. Jeezus, if they just sent me an email asking for $1000 bucks more to deliver in a reasonable time frame at least that would be reasonable (though viciously greedy). But keeping me in the dark and letting the EDD slip forever is just really, really mean and treating your customers terribly.

-TPC

Reactions: RoyT
I hate Elon as much as anyone, but Tesla is actually hiring more hourly employees and laying off salaried staff (so basically anyone not involved in the factory). The Model Y backlog is at least 100k orders if not more, nobody knows the exact number. There are way too many people wanting Model Ys and not enough production capacity right now.

You'll see the same problem with many other popular EVs out there, or even ICE vehicles. Notice a lot of car dealerships have empty lots? The Ford Mustang E and F150 lightning doesn't even accept online orders anymore due to high demand and production constraints. There are supply chain issues, its a perfect storm of crap that is forcing everyone to wait.

The only silver lining is getting your car next year there will most certainly be some improvement/upgrade over any car being delivered today. What those are, nobody knows. But there's always something new.

My plain vanilla MYLR was also pushed back yesterday from Dec 2022 -April 2023 to March 2023 - June 2023. Kinda sux, yes. But I'll have more money saved by then. And that gives Tesla more time to fix things, break things, or add things, or remove things from the Y. Heck, if this delay goes ever-longer, there's a better chance of 4680's or getting the 4 year-refreshed model Y.

My plain vanilla MYLR was also pushed back yesterday from Dec 2022 -April 2023 to March 2023 - June 2023. Kinda sux, yes. But I'll have more money saved by then. And that gives Tesla more time to fix things, break things, or add things, or remove things from the Y. Heck, if this delay goes ever-longer, there's a better chance of 4680's or getting the 4 year-refreshed model Y.
When did you place your order? As long ago as Early Mar?

-TPC

I don't forsee the mylr having the 4680 till the end of 2023 into 2024 due to Panasonic not have a local factory built yet and giga tx cathode plant won't be done till probably beginning to mid 2023.

Reactions: mrazndead
The Model Y backlog is at least 100k orders if not more,

So according to insideeves.com, Tesla Production, Deliveries Graphed Through Q4 2021: Huge Surge, Tesla delivered 309,000 MY 2121Q4. Therefore, 5 quarters delivery time would mean they have like 1.5M cars backlog. This is just not credible. What I worry is that they just don't deliver more than a trickle of non-upgrade cars, in effect cruelly punishing those who ordered non-upgraded cars. I think this has just gotten much worse lately.

If I look at the spread sheet, and look at the oldest orders, here are a few plain MYLR pearl white 19" No Tow delivery times: Sep 2020: 520 days, May 2021: 404 days, July 2021: 194 days, July 2021 167 days!!!! So, wild range there. I can't find any pattern; maybe they hurried in July 2021. 520 days Ay yai yai yai yai!

-TPC

So according to insideeves.com, Tesla Production, Deliveries Graphed Through Q4 2021: Huge Surge, Tesla delivered 309,000 MY 2121Q4. Therefore, 5 quarters delivery time would mean they have like 1.5M cars backlog. This is just not credible. What I worry is that they just don't deliver more than a trickle of non-upgrade cars, in effect cruelly punishing those who ordered non-upgraded cars. I think this has just gotten much worse lately.

If I look at the spread sheet, and look at the oldest orders, here are a few plain MYLR pearl white 19" No Tow delivery times: Sep 2020: 520 days, May 2021: 404 days, July 2021: 194 days, July 2021 167 days!!!! So, wild range there. I can't find any pattern; maybe they hurried in July 2021. 520 days Ay yai yai yai yai!

-TPC
That number is world wide
for Fremont it's around 200k
Once Austin comes fully online it will help decrease the number

Tesla corporate has poor communication. Their finance arm is especially bad. Extremely long hold times to speak with someone via phone. Email often go without a response.

The service centers have been good to me though and I have no complaints there.

Tesla in my opinion is still operating like a startup and they are trying to squeeze every cent out of each customer that they can while also not having enough staff to fuel customer inquiries…presumably to save on overhead.

I have said before I think this is a huge mistake for Tesla. Right now their products are the best on the market and so they don’t need marketing or good CS to keep moving product.

Long term this will result in customer resentment and the second a competitor catches up and starts to make an equally compelling product Tesla will be in deep trouble.

It is what it is. Gas is $5 a gallon and even higher in some locations. Tesla is slammed with orders and the backlog is growing. They are prioritizing the higher margin trims to maximize profit. It sucks to wait but this is where we are at the present time.

I think the diff be
I hate Elon as much as anyone, but Tesla is actually hiring more hourly employees and laying off salaried staff (so basically anyone not involved in the factory). The Model Y backlog is at least 100k orders if not more, nobody knows the exact number. There are way too many people wanting Model Ys and not enough production capacity right now.

You'll see the same problem with many other popular EVs out there, or even ICE vehicles. Notice a lot of car dealerships have empty lots? The Ford Mustang E and F150 lightning doesn't even accept online orders anymore due to high demand and production constraints. There are supply chain issues, its a perfect storm of crap that is forcing everyone to wait.

The only silver lining is getting your car next year there will most certainly be some improvement/upgrade over any car being delivered today. What those are, nobody knows. But there's always something new.
the diff between ford and Tesla is Ford stops taking orders and tesla keeps taking orders and knowingly putting the same EDD for the same config for a period of time.

Same vanilla config - no upgrade in anything. Ordered in Feb 17 and had stated in the default EDD December until June 6. And then they pushed to March 2023 - June 2023.

Reactions: JDEWD250
What I think I'm seeing, however, is that people who did not simply pay a couple a $1000 extra are repeatedly and ever more shat upon.

Nonsense

It has been well known for months now that the average wait time has stretched out to 9 months+ for orders placed in 2022. I don't know why Tesla occasionally hands out EDDs that are much sooner and then usually revokes them. That is certainly annoying.

You may wish to look at Troy Teslike's crowd sourced spreadsheet or order and delivery dates. It makes it quite clear that there is no conspiracy to discriminate against pirates. It *may* have been true that Tesla prioritized manufacture of performance models for a time but that is way past. And I think most people would say that FSD did not prioritize production but it did put a person ahead of another with the otherwise exact same order. An example of this is the following:

Tesla produces 10,000 MYLR Blue with hitch in January. There are 15,000 orders, of which 2000 are FSD. IF the logistics are not against it, Tesla will supply the FSD orders first and then divvy out what is left to the non FSD orders

Last edited:
Everyone got a big EDD push (in the wrong direction) yesterday.
Yes, there has always been a delayed EDD for no option orders like yours and like mine.
We all knew this at the time of ordering. I ordered March 11th. No option order was December. Adding just a single option made that September.
A 3 month difference.
As of yesterday no option orders got the new March-June date and optioned orders got the Dec-March date. Still a 3 month difference.
So everyone got moved equally.

I still think these dates will all reset to something closer to the original EDD. It really seems like everyone got this generic window yesterday and it happens to be the exact same window as a brand new order. We shall see what happens.

Nonsense

It has been well known for months now that the average wait time has stretched out to 9 months+ for orders placed in 2022. I don't know why Tesla occasionally hands out EDDs that are much sooner and then usually revokes them. That is certainly annoying.

You may wish to look at Troy Teslike's crowd sourced spreadsheet or order and delivery dates. It makes it quite clear that there is no conspiracy to discriminate against pirates. It *may* have been true that Tesla prioritized manufacture of performance models for a time but that is way past. And I think most people would say that FSD did not prioritize production but it did put a person ahead of another with the otherwise exact same order. An example of this is the following:

Tesla produces 10,000 MYLR Blue with hitch in January. There are 15,000 orders, of which 2000 are FSD. IF the logistics are not against it, Tesla will supply the FSD orders first and then divvy out what is left to the non FSD orders
it's pretty obvious that MYP order does not suffer such push back, still around 3-4 months, while LR is now from 7 months to 14 months. You may say EDD is not reliable. But EDD is all we got.

Reactions: FLTessie