TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Plan to drive a Model 3 Performance across Canada and the US

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by raynewman, Aug 29, 2018.

1. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

• Like x 1
  2. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Thanks Ray. For me at least this trip first became an idea after reading about the Australian BEV trips. Those were much more daunting than ours will be, or so we hope. We have NEMA 10-50 connections every 150 km or so even in the most remote spots, and our route in entirely paved.

I hope you are a better photographer than am I.

3. baillies

baillies Member

Thanks for sharing! Have a great trip!

4. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

Cerisinha.jpg and here she is...

only three more sleeps.

• Like x 2
  5. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

Good luck Ray. Sounds epic!

6. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

7. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

You might be even more sleepless soon. I just drove 480 km and was almost overwhelmed with responsiveness and raw power. This car acts like a more powerful, much more refined, better balanced version of a Porsche 911. Come Tuesday morning you get the first leg. Jet lag will be a distant memory. For the first few legs it will be wise to ignore any effort to save energy!

8. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

That's an extraordinary claim- maybe I need one!
    Ray, haven't seen the other thread; is it about the route or the car?
    If the route, do you wanna make some comments about the car here?

9. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

The other thread is the main one. I suspect that once I get to the US (tomorrow) I won't have time to update this thread too.

10. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

ok,
    but along with the trip info give us a good idea about how the car is to drive.
    Will the Model 3P AWD be a good replacement for the Model S P90D??

11. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Sounds like a blast @raynewman
    How did you guys end up doing this trip together?

12. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

For me it replaced a P85D. My spouse says there is actually more front passenger room in the 3 than the S, partly because of the very forward dash. I never expected the Model 3 to have such handling.

Ray and I will soon know how those first impressions work out...

13. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

I can answer that one. Ray and I met at TMC 2015 IIRC, when he gave me a ride tonFremont in his hired S60. He and his spouse later stayed in my place in Florida (and they were the best house guests we have ever had). When the idea for this crazy adventure emerged Ray was just crazy enough to join.

By the way, on Tuesday Ray will have the first couple of legs, so we’ll have a less irrational assessment (perhaps).

A second note for pilots. I made a similar trip in 1987 when I took delivery of a TB-21 and proceeded to fly oven much of Canada and US. Since Tesla I usually prefer driving.

• Love x 1
  14. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

We are heading into Canada today. Been a little busy ensuring we were clear of the hurricane - severe floods forecast for where we've just been. A bit more relaxed now. Will post pictures tomorrow.

15. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

IMG_20180913_193344.jpg In Canada and very happy to be clear of the US for now with the floods and other disasters there.
    This photo illustrates the range possibilities of the M3P when driven at 100 kph and less on AP.

16. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

Heaps of room in the front of the M3P - will checkout rear seat room at a later date.
    If I have the passenger's seat right back, I can't reach the firewall (I'm about 6'3").
    IMG_20180913_114917.jpg

17. Xenius

Xenius Member

If you stop by any of the Superchargers in the Philadelphia area I'd love to swing by and say hi. That'd be Newark, DE, Claymont, DE ideally.

18. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

We would have been pleased, but we are already in Saint John, NB and off to Quebec City tomorrow.

Soon we will post a summary of the first 3,000 miles which will happen in the next day or so. The P3D is behaving impeccably. We did discover that 2,800 miles in four days is entirely doable and actually more comfortable than was my P85D.

FWIW although the delivery process of the car was pretty horrible, the car itself is really superb. I am actually in awe of the excellence overall.

19. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

IMG_20180915_111204.jpg Nifty bridge

20. raynewman

raynewman Active Member

and then some idiot with a caravan tried to kill us. IMG_20180915_161919.jpg