Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plan to drive a Model 3 Performance across Canada and the US

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ray was driving on a two lane highway, keeping about 10 kph under the limit to conserve energy for the next Superchargerbdtop. A Silverado with a fancy new Honda bike in the back, towing a large travel trailer decided to pass us in a no-passing zone. In the face of oncoming traffic he swerved right to avoid a head on collision and hit the rear quarter panel, continuing up the car. In the end his trailer has minimal damage but the side mounted jack (used to stabilize the camper when parked) damaged the entire driver side of the Model 3.

The car remains drivable, even the autopilot works, it is without any perceptible drivetrain damage. Of course two sensors were destroyed as well as the cellular antenna mounted in the left mirror, so maps now only in the presence of strong signals. There is no idea how costly repairs will be. The police reports squarely faults the other driver, according to the policeman on the scene.

The biggest question is probably if my insurance company will help extract a new car from the culprits insurance company. Since I have no prior experience with car insurance claims, much less cross-border ones, I have no idea how this will finally end. Following the claim, I take the car to Tesla Quebec tomorrow to assess the damage, then to the Tesla authorized body shop to get an estimate.

Obviously the adventure has ended. Until now the car has been entirely wonderful, really amazing.

Ray was driving on a two lane highway, keeping about 10 kph under the limit to conserve energy for the next Superchargerbdtop. A Silverado with a fancy new Honda bike in the back, towing a large travel trailer decided to pass us in a no-passing zone. In the face of oncoming traffic he swerved right to avoid a head on collision and hit the rear quarter panel, continuing up the car. In the end his trailer has minimal damage but the side mounted jack (used to stabilize the camper when parked) damaged the entire driver side of the Model 3.

The car remains drivable, even the autopilot works, it is without any perceptible drivetrain damage. Of course two sensors were destroyed as well as the cellular antenna mounted in the left mirror, so maps now only in the presence of strong signals. There is no idea how costly repairs will be. The police reports squarely faults the other driver, according to the policeman on the scene.

The biggest question is probably if my insurance company will help extract a new car from the culprits insurance company. Since I have no prior experience with car insurance claims, much less cross-border ones, I have no idea how this will finally end. Following the claim, I take the car to Tesla Quebec tomorrow to assess the damage, then to the Tesla authorized body shop to get an estimate.

Obviously the adventure has ended. Until now the car has been entirely wonderful, really amazing.

Really sorry for what happened to you guys.
Are you heading to the Tesla Body Shop in Owings Mills, MD?
There are some recent encouraging reports about the in-house Tesla body shops providing fast service and replacement cars...there is hoping. Also Elon tweeted recently: "Tesla body shops are ramping up fast. Aiming to go from 30+ days using external body repair shops to same day body repair with prestocked parts at Tesla service centers." Tesla Brings Body Work In-House In Push For Same-Day Service | CleanTechnica

Really sorry for what happened to you guys.
Are you heading to the Tesla Body Shop in Owings Mills, MD?
There are some recent encouraging reports about the in-house Tesla body shops providing fast service and replacement cars...there is hoping. Also Elon tweeted recently: "Tesla body shops are ramping up fast. Aiming to go from 30+ days using external body repair shops to same day body repair with prestocked parts at Tesla service centers." Tesla Brings Body Work In-House In Push For Same-Day Service | CleanTechnica
Unfortunately, Tesla feel that our problem is too difficult in this phase of their ramp up.
So - we get to go home... :(

Last edited:
Still driving toward Florida as we had to travel a fair way west to avoid the floods.
In Lexington Virginia tonight - expect to arrive in Miami on Saturday or Sunday.
Monday the car gets dropped off at the beaters and on Tuesday we fly to LAX.
We intend to hire a M3 at LAX to drive to San Francisco (Freemont)
and Fresno (to look at the electric planes). Also this M3 will be rear wheel drive
and an interesting comparison. Even though JCs car is quite damaged, it still cruises
brilliantly at 80 MPH (130 kph for the mathematically challenged).

Still driving toward Florida as we had to travel a fair way west to avoid the floods.
In Lexington Virginia tonight - expect to arrive in Miami on Saturday or Sunday.
and Fresno (to look at the electric planes). Also this M3 will be rear wheel drive
and an interesting comparison. Even though JCs car is quite damaged, it still cruises
I'm thinking of hiring an M3 in Dec 18 in LA, so would be interested to see how you go with the rental process.

Is the M3 fun to drive around the corners, Ray?
I’m interested in whether it is a better “driver’s car” than the Model S?

We are now across in California now and we have another car.
IMG_20180926_092133.jpg

This is a rear wheel drive unit with *NO* TACC or AP. Drives very well; not quite as quick as JC's performance but not too bad. Extremely stable and quite happy cruising at 100 MPH.

Reactions: Shock-On-T