Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plan to drive a Model 3 Performance across Canada and the US

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just didn't get enough of anything to make the AWD/Performance worth more dollars.
Hi Ray,

Just wondering, have you got a RWD or AWD Model S

My concern, waiting for the Model 3 is that I have always had Japanese FWD vehicles for the past 35 years + and I am not sure about the RWD Tesla's possibly sliding out in the wet especially with that much power coming from the rear only motor and the Model 3 being a lot lighter on the road than the S or X

Hi Ray,

Just wondering, have you got a RWD or AWD Model S

My concern, waiting for the Model 3 is that I have always had Japanese FWD vehicles for the past 35 years + and I am not sure about the RWD Tesla's possibly sliding out in the wet especially with that much power coming from the rear only motor and the Model 3 being a lot lighter on the road than the S or X
I wouldn’t worry about this as traction control is so much better in and EV because it can change the torque going to the wheels much faster. On my RWD only Model S I have felt some slippage when accelerating out of a corner but never enough to upset the balance of the car.

and we saw two of these:
IMG_20180929_090429.jpg

and more importantly saw one of these:

IMG_20180929_081904.jpg

Reactions: baillies and ICUDoc
Great photos Ray.
What would you go for Model 3 wise?
LR RWD
LR DWD
LR P3D
Thinking value for money and good all rounder.
Now, with roughly 15,000 km Model 3 experience, about 1/3 in my P3D+, I would say RWD for value without question. P3D with 18” wheels will be more practical than P3D+ because the + 20” tires are 35 profile. Road hazards and faster wear are the inevitable result. If you really like quickest response and best handling, the + is the way to go. However, considering speed limits and practicality RWD wins. The AWD might be worthwhile for added traction and balance. Even in performance the LR RWD is very quick, especially in mid-range speeds.

All that said, Inwould still choose the P3D+ myself, knowing it is irrational.:rolleyes:

and we saw two of these:
View attachment 339192

and more importantly saw one of these:

View attachment 339198
FWIW, I checked with a Toyota friend based in Torrance, CA less than ten minutes from where we saw both Mirai. My friend said Santa Monica Toyota handles a majority of TMCUS executive deliveries, and that quite a few executives had strong incentives to choose a Mirai. True open market Mirai deliveries are very, very few, he said. I have known this person for almost thirty years, so I believe him.