TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Plane Accident Lawsuit

Discussion in 'News' started by vfx, Feb 2, 2011.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

The pilot's estate is being sued.

http://www.mercurynews.com/peninsula/ci_17221205?source=rss&nclick_check=1

http://green.autoblog.com/2011/02/02/suit-filed-against-estate-of-pilot-in-tesla-employee-plane-crash/

2. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

That's pretty lame if you ask me. They were all tight-nit Tesla employees and the accident was clearly just that, an accident.

Stuff like this makes me hate lawyers because you make an honest mistake and they want you to pay out the nose for it.

3. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

#3 Lloyd, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
    It's a shame that lawsuits have to result. I am the director of operations and owner of a charter airline, and from the article the pilot did nothing illegal. However, he did push the envelope if the data in the article is correct. An old saying goes which applies to pilots and life in general: " We have old pilots, and we have bold pilots, but we do not have old bold pilots" . Rules that would have prevented a charter airline from departing in the conditions reported may have kept them safe. I'm not proposing more regulation. We have a semi free society, and have the right to make decisions on our own. Unfortunately the decisions that we make can affect others. The FAA may find that mechanical failure was complicit in the accident, explaining his low altitude and lack of ability to climb.

4. benji4

benji4 Roadster 2.5 #0476

Horrible shame that it has to come to this. Based on the people I know at Tesla, it really is a big family just as much as it is a corporation, and you have to think those guys who did in the crash would not have wanted something like this to happen.

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

It's always a judgement call when you're flying. If you only ever operate your aircraft in "severe clear" you'll fly three times a year. That said, it's always better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than to be in the air wishing you were on the ground.

What I'm wondering is why does the article in the media need to have a huge Tesla logo across the top. The lawsuit has nothing to do with the company.

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

The pilot's family is grieving and now this?

7. strider

strider Active Member

Yeah, isn't this what life insurance is for? In the lead up to our kid being born my wife and I both cranked up our life insurance policies so if something happens we'll know the remaining parent won't have to stress about money. Sad that they have to sue someone because of their own lack of planning.

8. benji4

benji4 Roadster 2.5 #0476

Probably not fair to say that -- they may had all the coverage they needed. That doesn't seem to stop some people from suing to get even more on top of that!

9. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

vfx, Popsmith, Strider, Benji4, Lloyd and Doug_G you guy all echo my exact sentiments about this whole thing. If she wanted to do that then why not sooner?