Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planned/upcoming features and requests?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if I missed a thread about this, but do Tesla have a planned feature list? I picked up my Model 3 yesterday and absolutely LOVE it but I'm quite surprised re: the missing features, all of which are software. Such as playback of dashcam and sentrycam, no 360 video camera for parking, no remote viewing of cameras via app, no logging into Google account for Maps history/personalisation etc.

Things such as the remote viewing and 360 video parking are on my mate's Volvo...

I'm guessing feature requests are just Twitter, or do they have a more formal up-vote etc system somewhere?

This will not happen until and unless the patent for Nissan's "birds'eye" camera is invalidated and existing Teslas get retrofitted with additional cameras, as the existing hardware suite does not provide sufficient camera coverage for this. Nearly definitely not gonna happen.

Still seems doubtful. Almost everything they are doing is around the car driving itself, not more manual driving addons.

I think reading of the dash cam in the car for now is not going to happen either. It makes security much easier to limit data input sources.

This will not happen until and unless the patent for Nissan's "birds'eye" camera is invalidated and existing Teslas get retrofitted with additional cameras, as the existing hardware suite does not provide sufficient camera coverage for this. Nearly definitely not gonna happen.

I see. I assumed existing cameras were 360 for FSD or are they backed up by non-visual sensors?

So have Volvo paid Nissan to use the birds eye camera patent?

Elon did say they would open the cameras when backing up to get a better view of the area. No eta, but he did say yes on Twitter. Whether that is a true 36 birdseye or not is tbd.

He also said prob not to being able to see video feeds from your phone as that is too bandwidth-intensive.

I see. I assumed existing cameras were 360 for FSD or are they backed up by non-visual sensors?

There are several front cameras, the pillar cameras, the side 'repeaters' (though I've never been clear what they're supposedly repeating), and the rear camera. Most of the cameras are aimed such that there is little to no visibility immediately adjacent to the car, as they're situated to hep with driving at speed, and not close-in obstacle avoidance. These are supplemented with front-facing radar and onmidirectional sonar.

So have Volvo paid Nissan to use the birds eye camera patent?

I"m not privy to Volvo's legal agreements, but I would presume that they've either licensed the patent or are preparing for a lawsuit.

Elon did say they would open the cameras when backing up to get a better view of the area. No eta, but he did say yes on Twitter. Whether that is a true 36 birdseye or not is tbd.

He also said prob not to being able to see video feeds from your phone as that is too bandwidth-intensive.

Would not use a lot of bandwidth to send you still pics of what moved around your car like many $50 webcams have been doing for years. That alone would be awesome to understand if you really have a threat to your car, and I am sure the coding would be easy given the $50 webcams have been doing it for years.

Would not use a lot of bandwidth to send you still pics of what moved around your car like many $50 webcams have been doing for years. That alone would be awesome to understand if you really have a threat to your car, and I am sure the coding would be easy given the $50 webcams have been doing it for years.
That was my comment on the tweet, if we could have stills every x seconds.

2019 SR+ 10 mile range boost
where dat at
you already have a range boost. it was included in every vehicle:
RI50H6m.jpg

The closest you'll get to a future feature list is the random tweets from Elon about new features coming "soon". The most recent one I've seen discussed by him is "reverse summon" which I'm assuming will be the capability for you to get out of the car and then have it find a parking spot on its own. According to Elon there should be a lot of new functionality after they're done with the rewrite of the underlying AP/FSD code. This new base code is also coming "soon".

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng

Constant flow of stills? That would be bandwidth intensive.

It’s easy to do motion detection with cameras and then just send a couple of stills of only the motion, which would take very little bandwidth.

They are already claiming to collect media for the “fleet learning,” so we know they can do it.