Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planning 1st Trip - Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By the way, I'm on a 6000+ road trip right now! Just use your car and tell it to "Navigate to...". Don't worry about A/C or heat etc. Plus, I have never even looked at the energy graph except when towing. There is nothing complicated about it. The car is amazing! Just be prepared for emergencies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bogobec
We drove our 75D to Florida this summer (five kids, lots of stuff). To get an idea of how long it would take, we used Tesla's planner. We found it to be pretty accurate, but we actually ended up charging longer than needed and got to skip a charge because of that. Every time we stopped, the car was ready to go before we were. Have fun, and trust the car. I always like to have a little extra cushion anyway, so I liked having the extra charge. Our only problem comes with our lead feet... :D

Reactions: dsnows
Yet to take a long road trip in our recently acquired x75d. Does charging a 75d take longer than charging a 100d at Superchargers?
They all get slower as the battery gets more full. We also have a 75D. I do wish we would have gone for the bigger battery now, but even so, you will rarely have to stop longer than 40 minutes, and it usually takes longer than that to get food. We always try to plan our stops around a meal.

Reactions: Evoforce
Yet to take a long road trip in our recently acquired x75d. Does charging a 75d take longer than charging a 100d at Superchargers?

Yes. The 75D takes longer because for a given number of rated miles (required to reach the next Supercharger), the state of charge percentage will end up higher for the 75D than for the 100D. That means it will be charging higher up in the slower charging taper region, and those last few rated miles will take longer to charge.

You can check overall times with one of the trip planners as well.

The other difference I see is that my 100D can make it from home to the Holbrook, AZ Supercharger in one go. If I tell the trip planner I have a 75D it wants me to route through Flagstaff, which is a different and much longer route just to have more frequent Superchargers. Not a big problem as more Superchargers are built.

Here’s my update to taking my first trip in our 100D, an approx. 490 mile drive from east San Diego County to Monterey via the scenic Hwy 1 coastal highway.

Bottom line, the Model X is much better than I’d thought it could be. Heck, it’s amazing! That’s probably all anyone needs to know as my update is too long for most unless they’re considering a similar trip from the SD area. Following are my initial concerns and what I found.

Concern 1 — True Driving Range

I was concerned about what the actual driving range would be having seen many posts on TMC about watt hours/mile being very high, and my trip from here in east San Diego County up to Monterey consists of numerous hills here and along the way, plus this was primarily freeway driving.

What I experienced dissolved those concerns completely. After testing possible consumption with A Better Route Planner and EV Trip Planner, it seemed like I’d be able to arrive at Monterey using just two SC stops, but I considered a third just in case. The last leg of my journey was the most uncertain as none of the trip planners allowed one to use the slower Hwy 1 coastal drive.

My goal was to reach my first SC stop in Thousand Oaks off Hwy 101, hoping to bypass anywhere in the LA region. But traffic was so bad when we left a bit after 7 a.m. Tesla’s Nav redirected us thru the especially hilly back country of Hwy 67 thru Poway, then 15 to Escondido and the 78 to the 5. I watched Tesla’s Trip estimated % going down in dismay, but once I was back on the 5 it kept going up. We arrived at Thousand Oaks with 40% instead of the initial estimate of 26%!

That pattern of Tesla’s Nav being conservative continued throughout the trip, where we arrived at our 2nd SC stop in San Luis Obispo with about 10% more and that also held on arrival in Monterey. So wow, I’m impressed! Side note here: One of the people who responded to my original concerns said to do a full charge before the coastal Hwy 1 leg, as a 75 kw X couldn’t make it. That is untrue as it only req’d 50% - confirmed going and returning via San Luis Obispo SC.

Basically I overcharged more than was necessary due to my inexperience and uncertainty. And while I initially drove only 5mph above posted speeds, as my confidence increased that became closer to 10.

Concern 2 — Supercharging Takes a Long Time

For myself, this wasn’t an issue, but my wife had indicated she wasn’t pleased that it would take much longer than refueling an ICE. But since our first stop coincided with lunch where we actually had to hurry back to avoid the non-charging fee, scratch that. Our 2nd SC stop at San Luis Obispo at the Madonna Inn req’d us to walk about 6 minutes to get to the restroom and we walked thru their garden on the way back, so the actual time twiddling our thumbs so to speak was only about 10-15 minutes.

And of course free supercharging softens the wait, and we saved around $260 or so in fuel costs over our previous vehicle, a V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland that got around 17 mpg.

Concern 3 — Driving Experience

We’ve driven to Monterey several times in the past in various vehicles including a Buick La Crosse, Jeep GC and Chevy Volt. The Buick and the Jeep were most comfortable, the Volt more nimble and enjoyable with its electric motor and regen allowing precise slowing without braking. But seat comfort was an issue, such that we’d bought the Purple Seat Cushions to ease long drives - and they work great.

Well, “fanny fatigue” simply doesn’t exist in the X - a big wow! Our longest non-stop driving leg was 4 hrs 15 min and no fatigue at all.

I have always used the Jeep and Volt’s Adaptive Cruise extensively (Jeep’s is very good, the Volt’s is so-so). I find Tesla’s TACC to be excellent, even used it thru the twisty mountain turns on Hwy 1.

However, I very much dislike and distrust AutoSteer (on highways) as I find it too imprecise and jerky and feel it gets too close to adjacent vehicles (yes I have V9’). But what makes it unusable for me is having to apply torque to the wheel to avoid the nag (or jiggle the wheel). And oddly, applying torque on the right of the wheel positions the car offset to the left of the lane and vice versa, ugh! Until it’s truly touch sensitive or a camera is used to verify your hands are on the wheel, I can’t see ever using it.

The only weak point I’ve found relates to the visors. There’s no way to block sun streaming thru the driver’s window, so hanging a cloth seems the only workaround. Additionally, blocking the sun thru the upper area of the windshield requires disengaging the visor and positioning it at odd angles. It mostly works, but...

So bottom line, loving pretty much everything about the X and it’s surpassing my expectations!

What I experienced dissolved those concerns completely. After testing possible consumption with A Better Route Planner and EV Trip Planner, it seemed like I’d be able to arrive at Monterey using just two SC stops, but I considered a third just in case. The last leg of my journey was the most uncertain as none of the trip planners allowed one to use the slower Hwy 1 coastal drive.

My goal was to reach my first SC stop in Thousand Oaks off Hwy 101, hoping to bypass anywhere in the LA region. But traffic was so bad when we left a bit after 7 a.m. Tesla’s Nav redirected us thru the especially hilly back country of Hwy 67 thru Poway, then 15 to Escondido and the 78 to the 5. I watched Tesla’s Trip estimated % going down in dismay, but once I was back on the 5 it kept going up. We arrived at Thousand Oaks with 40% instead of the initial estimate of 26%!

That pattern of Tesla’s Nav being conservative continued throughout the trip, where we arrived at our 2nd SC stop in San Luis Obispo with about 10% more and that also held on arrival in Monterey. So wow, I’m impressed! Side note here: One of the people who responded to my original concerns said to do a full charge before the coastal Hwy 1 leg, as a 75 kw X couldn’t make it. That is untrue as it only req’d 50% - confirmed going and returning via San Luis Obispo SC.

You can add waypoints in ABRP to force a road choice.

Secondly, did you set the charge limit to 100%? The charge rate slows dramatically near the top of the battery. I do that on all my road trips, even though I rarely ever charge over 90 (usually only to about 60%). It turns a mad scramble to get back to the car before it shuts off, into a leisurely stroll.