TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Planning a Road Trip from Parker, CO to Topeka, KS

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by GlennAlanBerry, Apr 1, 2013.

1. GlennAlanBerry

I should be getting my red P85 in mid to late May. I live in Parker, CO, and I would like to drive from there to Topeka, KS (where I have some family) in early September. Looking at ChargePoint, Recargo, and CarStations, it seems to be a pretty vast wasteland for regular charging stations between DIA and Manhattan, KS. The total distance between Parker and Topeka is about 540 miles. I am hoping that there are some RV campgrounds along I-70 that have 50 amp chargers, but I am not sure (yet) of the best way to look for them. Has anybody made the trip between the Denver area and the Topeka area in a Tesla yet? Any tips (besides don't do it) you can pass along? Thanks for any ideas!

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

#2 dsm363, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  3. Banahogg

Banahogg Member

My favorite RV park resource: Campgrounds in Kansas with 50 Amp Sites (just replace the state in the URL for other states).

Be aware that Topeka->Parker is going to be ~14 kWh more than Parker->Topeka. I recommend http://www.jurassictest.ch/GR/ for elevation-aware planning. I've validated the GR site with a 60kWh on an our and back to Tahoe and it's pretty good.

4. dbfish

dbfish Member

Looks like some well-spaced KOA RV parks with 50a service, according to the trip planner. Plenty of other If you stay at one, please add to Recargo/Plugshare with some comments!

Trip Planner | KOA Campgrounds

5. GlennAlanBerry

Thanks for all the replies. I found an Android app called RV Parky that shows a number of KOA campgrounds along I-70. One issue is that I did not get the twin chargers, so it will take me a little longer to charge on a non-supercharger charging station. Oh well, I won't be in a huge hurry for the trip!

6. Banahogg

Banahogg Member

Twin chargers don't help at an RV park; 240V*40A (most you can pull from a NEMA 14-50) is approximately the 10kW from a single charger.

7. Liz G

Liz G P03056

GlennAlanBerry - I will be traveling from St. Louis to Denver in June. I've lined up a number of RV campgrounds to get electrons. Check out Shady Grove in Seibert, CO. Jim there seems very excited about electric vehicles (970-664-2218), KOA in Salina is a good choice. Darryl is very accommodating (785-827-3182) and the KOA in Wakeeney, KS seems good (785-743-5612).

8. K Hall

K Hall Member

Make sure that you specify with KOA to charge you the storage fee verses a camp site fee. Storage is $5.50 campsite is $50.