Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planning a road trip from Pomona to Grand Canyon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning a road trip from Seattle to Pomona and then to Grand Canyon. I have a few questions and hoping that the forum can help. I have a classic 2012 Model S 85 so only about 230 miles range.
  1. Planning 5-day, 4-nights trip from Pomona to Grand Canyon and back. Seems like enough time. Plan to spend 1 night in hotel on route there and 1 night on route back. So two nights around Grand Canyon.
  2. Any recommendations for lodging and things to do between Pomona and Grand Canyon? Also, lodging near Grand Canyon?
  3. Drive from Kingman Supercharger to Grand Canyon South Rim Visitor center is 180 miles, where can I charge near the visitor center? Maybe recommended lodging from #2 above?
Thanks for advice.

Tesla has a good map showing all the Superchargers and Destination Charging locations -- tesla.com/findus

Clicking on Destination Charging brings up a Best Western at the South Rim. Additionally, there are two hotels with destination charging and one Airbnb in Flagstaff. Destination charging is very convenient since you can get a full charge while you sleep (just like at home?).

I hope this helps.

Reactions: KJD
Tesla has a good map showing all the Superchargers and Destination Charging locations -- tesla.com/findus

Clicking on Destination Charging brings up a Best Western at the South Rim. Additionally, there are two hotels with destination charging and one Airbnb in Flagstaff. Destination charging is very convenient since you can get a full charge while you sleep (just like at home?).

I hope this helps.
Thanks for tip, I found the Best Western charger info on Plugshare too. I booked that Best Western.

Pomona to the South Rim is about a 7-hour drive plus charging stops. Depending upon your driving style and your passengers, it is certainly a one-day drive. Charge in Barstow ~45 minutes; Needles ~15 minutes; Kingman ~50 minutes. Call it nine hours door-to-door.

Kingman has a few places on the east side of town, but they are not proximate to the Supercharger. They are the typical chain establishments.

Seligman and Ash Fork are on the way to the Grand Canyon along Interstate 40. I do not know if those communities have any decent establishments, let alone destination charging. You could also opt to drive old US66 east of Kingman through Valentine and Peach Springs--there might be something historic and quaint along that stretch of road. Again, charging might be an issue.

In any event, PlugShare is your guide. Look to see what opportunities are listed there and see if they fit into your itinerary.

You may wish to check out Williams, Arizona, the gateway to the South Rim from due south, as opposed to Flagstaff.

You could stay in Flagstaff at the hotel with the SC, and drive up and back without any anxiety at all.

Staying in Flagstaff at the hotel with the Supercharger would be my personal preference despite a 9-hour jaunt going and coming.

Above all, have fun!

Thanks for the detailed response. Very helpful. Since it is 9-hours door-to-door, I am exploring staying 1 night in the middle of the drive. I am considering something close to Lake Havasu. If anyone has recommendations for fun half-day things to do near Lake Havasu and lodging. I love to hear about it.

I did a road trip from the Bay Area to the GC in one day, so you could easily do it in one day if you leave early enough. It took us 15 hours, but we made it no problem. We stayed within the GC park itself, but there is a Best Western in Tusayan with destination chargers about ~30 mins from the park entrance.

It's pretty straight-forward to blast down the 40 from Barstow, to Needles, & onto Kingman. The longest charge we needed was at Kingman where we did a 100% charge (I have a 75D) and had dinner while we waited to charge. We ate at the Rickety Cricket Brewery which was about a mile walk down the main street from the supercharger. Great spot to get a growler of their brews, so highly recommended! With a 100% charge, we arrived at Yavapai Lodge in the GC with about 9-10% charge (22-25 miles) left. The next morning, I drove the car to the RV grounds within the park and charged all day at a 'dry-spot' (ask for this specifically if you want to charge at the RV park). They have 3 of those and will let you charge for $20 or so. From there it's a 15-20 minute walk to the Visitor Center where you can pick up shuttles to various spots in the park.

We did have some issues on the way back from the GC headed west after we charged up in Needles. We were headed straight into the winds, which were gusting at 40 mph. It helped drafting SUVs here and there, but after charging in Yermo (great spot to stop if you got kids - and it's the only spot I know of where the men's bathroom is way cooler than the women's bathroom), we were hoping to make it to Bakersfield. But we had to stop in Mojave, which worked out because we ended up eating at the Mexican restaurant there for dinner.

Good luck & safe road-tripping!

That hotel in Tusayan with the destination charger is cheap for being so close to the park. I had reservations there but cancelled for a different trip but I remember it was just over $100. Get up early and hit Hopi or Pipe Creek Vista and hike out to Yaki Point for sunrise, you won't be disappointed,, unless you get there late and miss the good light.. :cool:

ED2B9F1C-8F87-451E-AB31-9CD8747A2F46.jpeg There are two new level 2 chargers at the Maswik Hotel on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. I charged there today. These were installed in the last 2 weeks.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and Don TLR
Here are a few more pictures of the Maswik chargers. I was not staying at the hotel and there is no lock or code to use them.

Attachments

• CF89B415-D2FA-4D90-8230-C768E3620512.jpeg
    CF89B415-D2FA-4D90-8230-C768E3620512.jpeg
    694.9 KB · Views: 79
  • FE8220C2-C302-4215-810E-24CE5E5A883D.jpeg
    FE8220C2-C302-4215-810E-24CE5E5A883D.jpeg
    629.5 KB · Views: 78
  • CE5E5CA7-0778-4E08-98E6-2C76DB7D8973.jpeg
    CE5E5CA7-0778-4E08-98E6-2C76DB7D8973.jpeg
    289.6 KB · Views: 87
  • Informative
Reactions: Don TLR
The Xanterra folks (Grand Canyon concessionaire) said there were two more brand new chargers in the park, but I did not check them out. I will try to confirm where they are. The ones I photographed are near the Maswik lodge lobby and restaurant and are within close walking distance to the backcountry office parking lot if you plan to go backpacking in the Canyon as I did.

Reactions: Don TLR
There are 2 additional chargers, free and open to the public, at the Xanterra General Offices in the Grand Canyon Village. The General Offices are right next to the Auto Garage on the south rim, near the Grand Canyon Train Depot.

Awesome info! Headed that way next week.

This will be my first road trip in my MX 75D. I was a little concerned about range, but your info has reduced my anxiety level big time.

Many thanks!

And thanks to everyone for this great forum. TMC is a tremendous source of info for a new owner like me.