Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planning a road trip, looking for input

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Vawlkus

Feb 28, 2017
Halifax
I was gonna post this in the NS club, but I think I need a more broad outlook.

I’m planning a road trip from Halifax NS to the Tesla service center in Montreal PQ. Lacking the supercharger network, I’m gonna have to rely on DCFCs to power this little trip. With that in mind, I’m looking for input on stations to hit up along the way, ones to avoid, routes to take and paths to avoid.

Also: I’ll be in Montreal for a week, anybody have any recommendations for sites to see and things to do? Hotel reviews would be welcome as well.
Hoping to get a loaner while my car’s being worked on, but I haven’t booked the appointment yet.

For the charging end, make sure you've tested your CHAdeMO adapter and network card (FLO, Electric Circuit or E-charge will work) beforehand.
Check the Plugshare comments for the CHAdeMO sites (the filters allow you to only see CHAdeMO). Sometimes the comments inform you of a site's quirks (restaurants good or bad, hard to find due to bad GPS advice, space often blocked by ICE vehicles, etc.)
Since there is only one CHAdeMO per location in NB, plan to have 80 km of range remaining at arrival so you can go to the next site in case the unit is occupied or out-of-order.

Did a test of my FLO card, account and Chademo adapter over the Easter weekend, and all three are in working order. I am planning to check thru the PlugShare app for what information it has, but not everything gets noted on there. :)

There's nothing to it... just bring the CHAdeMO adaptor and charge the middle capacity of your battery. I like staying at Amsterdam Inns since they are great value and all have 2 L2 chargers at 40/48A.

Source: i've done the PEI to Toronto drive 7 times round trip ;)

Think I can do Halifax to Montreal in 20 hours?
Don't abuse your body over this drive... plan an overnight stay at a hotel in NB (the majority now have 2 chargers or more) and you will enjoy the experience a lot more, especially the outbound journey which takes significantly more energy with a net elevation increase and into the prevailing wind. If I were you, I'd plan to overnight in Fredericton, and leave the next morning fully charged.

There's plenty to do in and around Montreal. It will be easier to make recommendations if we know your general fields of interest.

If you stay in the city having a car can be a handicap. There's a Metro station less than a ten minute walk from Tesla.

Unless you're interested in the event and don't mind hotel rates being doubled, avoid Montreal from June 5 to June 10 due to the l Grand Prix. Try to avoid the area around the Levis Supercharger during rush-hour. It's near the two bridges to Quebec City so the roads get clogged up then.

I don’t do the tourist thing much, so I dunno what’d catch my interest honestly.

I have car show bookings all through June, so I’ll be back home before all that nonsense. ATM I’m looking at between May 19th - 27th. Yeah, Victoria Day is in there, but I’m rapidly running out of weeks I can use.

Any hotel recommendations would be welcome. I’m hoping to be near where the service center is, but I can make do with whatever.

The closest I believe is Hôtel Ruby Foo's, 7655 Decarie Blvd, Montreal, QC H4P 2H2, walking distance to the SC.

A little further down is Quality Hotel Midtown, 6445 Decarie Blvd, Montreal, QC H3W 3E1.

I do not know them, just checked Google map.

One a little further that I know and is correct (Subjective subject) is Courtyard by Marriott Montreal Airport, 7000 Place Robert Joncas, Saint-Laurent, QC H4M 2Z5 (Cavendish and Highway 40). For this one, you will need a car to move from the SC to the hotel.

Whatever you choose, ping me when you are in the area (I live 2 kms away form Cote Vertu Super Charger and 5 kms away from Ferrier Service Center), it will be a pleasure to meet you and offer you a drink :).

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Do you have dates confirmed for the service. Since there's still snow on the ground here, in May they still may be busy swapping tires. They also may be busy due to the recall to replace bolts.

I'm asking because I'm curious if they offered you an appointment at the new Quebec City location. Rumors as to when the site will actually open are all over the place.

Do you have dates confirmed for the service. Since there's still snow on the ground here, in May they still may be busy swapping tires. They also may be busy due to the recall to replace bolts.

I'm asking because I'm curious if they offered you an appointment at the new Quebec City location. Rumors as to when the site will actually open are all over the place.
I’ve sent an email, but I don’t have it confirmed yet.
Most of the rumors I’ve heard peg the QC site as being up and running in June.