Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planning a trip..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I am planning a trip from lorton, va to toronto this summer and looking for some advise from you all. I have S85 w/ 19" tires and dual chargers.
This is what I plan on doing:
My route

• Start from home with a full range charge.
  • Stop about 100 miles away at hagerstown supercharger and fully charge there as well.
And now the stress part (between hagerstown SC and buffalo, ny) 312 miles!
I am not sure what type of a charger that is. I did do some research and turns on Sheetz is using 350green.com to install charging stations at their locations. I don't know much about them or what type of adapter they have.
They have 14-50 outlet. But, I don't want to rely on just that 1 place.

I saw a few tesla owners on plugshare in buffalo with HPWC that I plan on contacting to charge. After buffalo, it's about 90 miles which shouldn't be a problem after charging for a couple of hours on HPWC.

There is only 1 part of the trip that I really nervous about, which is between hagerstown and buffalo. I would like to get this entire trip done on supercharger / quickcharge if possible and minimizing J1772 as much as possible. Also, I would like to complete this trip in 12 - 14 hours. Google maps says the entire trip is about 9 - 10 hours, without waiting for charging offcouse.
So with this being said, just looking for advise from fellow tesla owners, if this is doable right now or should I just fly?

Thanks

Take the supercharger route through Somerset and Cranberry. It's an extra 75 miles but you can make it all the way to Buffalo without a slow charge. Figure an extra 2 hours (including charging) driving that way. And that's if you drive the same speed on the state/federal highways as you do on the interstate. Google says there's a 30 minute drive difference between the two routes.

If you need to pick up 75 miles in charge from a slow charger you'd need a 40mph charger to make it as fast as the supercharger route ... a 14-50 will give you about 30 mph.

Take the supercharger route through Somerset and Cranberry. It's an extra 75 miles but you can make it all the way to Buffalo without a slow charge. Figure an extra 2 hours (including charging) driving that way. And that's if you drive the same speed on the state/federal highways as you do on the interstate. Google says there's a 30 minute drive difference between the two routes.

If you need to pick up 75 miles in charge from a slow charger you'd need a 40mph charger to make it as fast as the supercharger route ... a 14-50 will give you about 30 mph.

Thanks JohnQ... I didn't think about going that route. I will take that into consideration... however, if that sheetz charger can be used.. that would solve a lot of my problem. I just don't know what type of charger / plug it is.

Thanks JohnQ... I didn't think about going that route. I will take that into consideration... however, if that sheetz charger can be used.. that would solve a lot of my problem. I just don't know what type of charger / plug it is.

It says:
Ports[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif]Quick Charge[/FONT]

I think this means a DC charger, probably Chademo? Call them up: (814) 944-6094

From your original post, you are going to range charge, then drive 100 miles and range charge at a supercharger. I suggest you don't need to range charge at home, certainly not more than 90%. If you arrive at Hagerstown with 100 instead of 130 miles, the difference will only be 5-7 minutes; and one less range charge on your battery.

If you decide to go through Cranberry, don't bother charging past 170 miles or so until you get to that last supercharger, to take advantage of the charge taper. That should give a large enough buffer and not stress the battery at the low end either.