Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planning an 1100 mile trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll share with you an important lesson,

- drive as slowly as feels safe, especially on the first 3/4ths of the the long leg,
- prepare your passengers for the same because they won't like the feeling. Ask them to help you plan so they don't just feel annoyed by your desire to test science.
- Don't use your Tesla nav for the entire portion of the trip, but break it down into half segments on the first half an try to beat the numbers, don't listen to your tesla nav on the second part because it will keep trying to reroute you to charge.
- Determine the watts per mile figure you need to hit to get there on EVtrip planner, and print out the steps with wh/mi on each segment, and be sure you beat the wh/mi averages for each segment.
- Remember that if you have a 100D, you only have 91-93KwH of battery pack. Finally, warm the car up before you leave, over inflate the tires by 2 psi, and enjoy the glory that is hypermiling
- use the app inRoute to show you the graphic that tells you the wind direction, elevation, and temperature.... this app is superior to every other app when it comes to hard core hypermiling. Run the app before you leave, make sure you count any wind but a tail wind as bad and modify accordingly.
- If you do all this, you will have earned the respect of all of us.... God Speed.

here is my proudest tesla moment in my model S.... Sweetwater, TX to Santa Rosa, NM, uphill and against the wind in my model S P100D. Then ask Bjorn, "How you like them Apples? I got her numba!"View attachment 259034

We go to Santa Fe from Cypress, TX through Sweetwater, Lubbock, Santa Rosa... Is there no convenient place in Lubbock (or Hobbs, or Muleshoe to charge up that will take some stress out of the Sweetwater-Santa Rosa leg? Or should we just byt the bullet and go through Tucumcari?

For me, going straight from sweetwater to santa rosa without stopping was all about the challenge. It was slightly risky on the final leg because I allowed myself to speed during the first half which meant going too slow. I prepared though and go red reflective tape on the back so someone didn't ram me. If you are just looking to get there fast, I'd go up through Childress or some route arc that allows you to charge more frequently from the bottom of the pack, rather than cut diagnoal. You want to charge more often at the lower end of the pack to go fast. Sure you can stop at an RV park or some other place to top off. I wouldn't hypermile unless your into it. @TaoJones has some great philosophies on how to optimize the road trip. I am more of who you come to if you are wanting to do something dumb. Get ready to speed when you from from Santa Rosa to Sante Fe..... Highway 66 and not a soul in site.... 120 mph should be no problem.

For me, going straight from sweetwater to santa rosa without stopping was all about the challenge. It was slightly risky on the final leg because I allowed myself to speed during the first half which meant going too slow. I prepared though and go red reflective tape on the back so someone didn't ram me. If you are just looking to get there fast, I'd go up through Childress or some route arc that allows you to charge more frequently from the bottom of the pack, rather than cut diagnoal. You want to charge more often at the lower end of the pack to go fast. Sure you can stop at an RV park or some other place to top off. I wouldn't hypermile unless your into it. @TaoJones has some great philosophies on how to optimize the road trip. I am more of who you come to if you are wanting to do something dumb. Get ready to speed when you from from Santa Rosa to Sante Fe..... Highway 66 and not a soul in site.... 120 mph should be no problem.

Thanks for the advice. My SO will never stand for a white-knuckler - Childress and frequnet SC's will be the way. And as far as 120 MPH goes - that's not gonna happen, as long as there are two of us in the car. :)

We normally turn left at Santa Rosa and then North at Cline's Corner on 285..

Lubbock really needs a SC, IMO.

buttershrimp said:
> Sweetwater, TX to Santa Rosa, NM, uphill and against the wind

Wow.

Ditto on the Lubbock SC, that would make cutting a huge corner possible, even for mere mortals. (And/or Clovis for some reassuring redundency.)
Thanks for the advice. My SO will never stand for a white-knuckler - Childress and frequnet SC's will be the way. And as far as 120 MPH goes - that's not gonna happen, as long as there are two of us in the car. :)

We normally turn left at Santa Rosa and then North at Cline's Corner on 285..

Lubbock really needs a SC, IMO.
Go for it.... It's the closest thing to a salt flat that I've seen. It's like a runway. Check out Bjorn's autobahn videos for inspiration.

You must be talking about the 285 leg? I40 (aka 66?) is loaded with 18-wheelers, as well as 4-wheel traffic. Have never been on the section between Santa Rosa and Cline's Corners when it wasn't heavily trafficked.
Yes thank you.... I just pulled it up.... the 285 leg.... I don't think I saw another car for 5 minutes at one point.

Google Maps