TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Planning on buying a 2014 Model S 85. Need some guidance. :)

Discussion in 'Model S' started by SilverGS, Nov 3, 2016.

1. SilverGS

SilverGS New Member

I'm strongly considering buying a Tesla Model S - this one or another one similar in age and mileage (hence cost) - Tesla Model S 85 TECH AND SUB ZERO PKG, PANO ROOF | Shift Motors Inc

Price shown here is CAD which is about $52.2K USD with about 68K miles.

I don't have any personal experience with fully electric cars other the little I've read about Tesla's. I drove a new 70D sometime last year and fell in love. But a new 70D with the same features as this one will be at least another $20K to $30K CAD north of this.

1. What are the things I need to watch out for?
    2. What is the average reduction in range compared to new for an 85 with this much mileage?
    3. With the proper spec winter tires, will it be challenging to drive this RWD car in the winter? I live in Southern Ontario.
    4. Is it a much better idea to get a new one instead? My budget is about this ones cost.

TIA!

• Funny x 1
  2. Dax279

Dax279 Member

#2 Dax279, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    Where are you located? Check out autoTRADER there seems to be a good price on a 2016 90d in Quebec with very low clicks. Price seems pretty reasonable.

Updated as it is 90d and not 85d as I originally posted.

3. GJ79

GJ79 Member

Mine has 80k miles and charges up to 251 miles on Range charge. There is really not much to look out for, most of the glitches were hopefully fixed while in warranty. Maybe check if the door handles had been replaced by Tesla to the V2 version but other than that ?!

4. Whiteblaze

Whiteblaze Member

It sounds like this car does not have Autopilot, so if that's important to you, keep looking. Autopilot was introduced in 2014, and only cars built after October or so of that year have the hardware.

I have over 50k miles, and my P85D's range reduction is about 4%.

RWD Model S are very popular in Norway, so with proper winter tires, you should have no problem.

5. democappy

democappy Member

My initial thoughts.
    1. Is it completely out of warranty? The advantage of going CPO is the refreshed warranty. I think a lot of people here are VERY worried about the cost of having to do repairs outside of warranty. Does autopilot matter to you? I don't believe this has it. It isn't a deal breaker at all to me, but for some people it is.
    2. I think 5% reduction is the general expectation.
    3. No personal experience with that, but I would think you would be ok. Someone with experience can give a better answer.
    4. As you noted you can't get a new one in your budget unless you want to wait for a model 3.

6. SilverGS

SilverGS New Member

Thanks very much for the prompt responses folks!

How can you tell if it has Autopilot or not? Yes, this feature is important to me.

7. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

As noted before:

Check the door handles that they have been updated to ver. 2

Also:

Check for the underbelly battery protection plate. If it doesn't have it, Tesla will put it on regardless of kms or age of vehicle.
    Check for evidence of the Pano leaking. Operate the Pano to make sure it is in good shape and seals well when shut. Take a look at the pano tracks and seals to make sure they have good placement.
    Check for evidence of water leaking in the tail lights.
    Check tires for uneven wear indicating an alignment is needed.

8. Troy

Troy Member

1. Autopilot was added in Oct 2014. That car is from June 2014 based on the date in the description. (Need to go back 8 years from drive unit warranty end)
    2. In pre-facelift cars the front radar was visible. All facelift cars have the autopilot hardware.

[​IMG]

9. democappy

democappy Member

I assume if the don't list it in the features, then it doesn't have it. It is usually the type of thing they would be making sure is on the listing.

10. Bgarret

Bgarret Model S ownin' Michigan scofflaw

Your buying My car's twin! Purchased a 2014 Model S85 out of Chicago in June for about the same price. All the same options, Tech, Pano, Cold Weather. Purchased with 51k miles and now has 61k miles - I've been driving it like I was on the run.

Couple things:

1. Love the car, so glad I pulled the trigger. Driving my wife's Acura is like saddling a horse.
    2. Get an extended warranty if at all possible. I've had a couple tic-tac issues with the door handle harness and the Pano seal and Tesla has been great at taking care of everything, even in the service desert that is Michigan. Ranger was at my house yesterday because when he adjusted the Pano and replaced the rear taillight seals, he noticed I had the "old" facia on the trunk, so he ordered me the new and replaced it.
    3. I'm not going to run the 21' Contis in a Michigan winter, just went to the tire store and ordered Michelin X-Ice 19s with Real Lugano Titanium Gunmetal Wheels for the winter. Price from the Tire store was $200 less than online.
    4. I haven't range charged in a while, my 90% is about 230. I road tripped from Chicago - NY - Maine - Canada - Michigan and had no issues.
    5. Don't know how many Teslas in your neck of the woods, but mine is a unicorn here. If you want to be anonymous, buy a different car. Have almost 1 "Tesla Moment"/day. Parked it in my friends driveway for Halloween and while I was out walking with the kids my wife took a 1/2 dozen pictures with trick-o-treaters and the Tesla. My wife is a little weirded out when we go to park at an event and get a "whoop, Tesla!" Or when people pass us on the highway, slow, roll down the window and give a thumbs up.
    6. Mine is rear wheel, non-autopilot....and it still is mind-blowing. Will hopefully get the new bells and whistles on the Model III, but this fit my needs and price point and I don't miss what I've never had.

PM me if you have any questions, and good luck!

• Like x 1
  11. SilverGS

SilverGS New Member

Wow, this community is great - I didn't expect to get so many responses so fast.

So here is what's been recommended

1. Check the door handles that they have been updated to ver. 2. How can you tell the door handles have been updated to Version 2?
    2. Check for the underbelly battery protection plate. If it doesn't have it, Tesla will put it on regardless of kms or age of vehicle.
    3. Check for evidence of the Pano leaking. Operate the Pano to make sure it is in good shape and seals well when shut. Take a look at the pano tracks and seals to make sure they have good placement.
    4. Check for evidence of water leaking in the tail lights.
    5. Check tires for uneven wear indicating an alignment is needed.
    Question to Troy - the pic you posted is showing a car that does not have the Autopilot feature because the front radar you're pointing to is visible or is it the other way round? I looked at a pic of the car I linked to and it does not have that square section, so I'm assuming that's the indicator that it does not have the AutoPilot feature. Please confirm. Thanks.

• Like x 1
  12. Troy

Troy Member

@SilverGS. The picture I added shows the front radar. That means the car has Autopilot 1.0 hardware. The car you were considering is also a nosecone model (pre-facelift) but doesn't have the front radar. Therefore it can't have autopilot.

13. Bgarret

Bgarret Model S ownin' Michigan scofflaw

Your car is about 1000 lower VIN than mine - autopilot started about 5000 cars later - no autopilot.

14. markn455

markn455 Member

They started with the Autopilot hardware about October 2014. Also the tire pressure monitory began showing the actual air pressure on the screen rather than just alerting you the one of the tires is low and you have to guess which one. Perhaps someone will be able to tell you what Vin number started with the AP hardware installed.

15. SilverGS

SilverGS New Member

Thanks again folks!

Just checked trader.ca for some more inventory and all the ones that have AP are an extra $30K CAD. I guess I have to wait another year at least or perhaps look into leasing instead.

16. GJ79

GJ79 Member

To nr 1: Service Records or Check with a Service Center.

17. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Tesla is very closed mouth about releasing service records of used cars to 2nd owners. Unfortunately. Makes finding the history on private sales VINs very hard.

18. Gig103

Gig103 Member

This is so true it's almost an understatement. I just took delivery of a 2014 inventory car, meaning it's always been owned by Tesla (demo fleet) and they still wouldn't release service records. The service manager's compromise was "ask specific questions and I will look it up."
    I asked - "Are the door handles V2.0? Has either or both drive train been replaced or updated? Has it had the battery coolant flushed?". All were "yes".

19. markn455

markn455 Member

Odd, the SC was very open about what work had been done on my CPO car. I didn't ask for a printout but they were free about telling me what service and repairs has been completed by the previous owner.