Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planning to Buy 2017 Model X 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone - I have a 2022 Model-Y ready for delivery. But I am having second thoughts of buying a 2017 Model X 90 D which has about 38K miles on it. The price difference is 10K higher than what I have to pay for Y. I am new to Tesla and not sure if my thought process here is right in regards to opting for used Model X.I am not sure if there are any issues mechanically or other component in regards to 2017 Model X that needs to looked up on before buying. Most common use of vehicle is travel for work and may road trips once in a while. We are family of 2 at present and there is a possibility of having Parents visiting few times a year at which point we might use vehicle for long drives.

Thanks.

Hi Everyone - I have a 2022 Model-Y ready for delivery. But I am having second thoughts of buying a 2017 Model X 90 D which has about 38K miles on it. The price difference is 10K higher than what I have to pay for Y. I am new to Tesla and not sure if my thought process here is right in regards to opting for used Model X.I am not sure if there are any issues mechanically or other component in regards to 2017 Model X that needs to looked up on before buying. Most common use of vehicle is travel for work and may road trips once in a while. We are family of 2 at present and there is a possibility of having Parents visiting few times a year at which point we might use vehicle for long drives.

Thanks.
The Model Y will be vastly more reliable and less expensive to maintain long term. I love my Model X's, but they break a lot. I would not have a Model X out of warranty. I would only consider a five year old Model X if it was far LESS than the Model Y, but then of course, no warranty.

Upvote 0
@AN8600, I have a 2017 100D MX and love it, but I would have to have a very specific need to choose it over a new model Y, if I were out shopping now. Tesla used the model 3 development process to advance much of their tech, and just now rolled it back into the model S/X with the refresh last year. The 2017 model X is much more dated than a 2022 model Y.

My biggest specific concerns are:
1) The MCU. In 2017 there was MCU1 which is far inferior to MCU2. Tesla now offers an upgrade to MCU2 for about $2500, which I consider a must. It helps a lot, but it doesn’t give it all the same capabilities and I still get some frozen screens that require rebooting while driving. This is not an issue at all on my 2018 model 3.

2) Battery degradation. While Tesla batteries are quite robust, I think the 90 one has had more degradation than many other batteries. When new, it’s battery only had a 257 mile rated range. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s down to 220 miles rated, and actual mileage is often a lot less. The model Y rated range of 330 miles gives a lot of practical advantage.

3) Do you really want a model X with no warranty (or maybe a 1 year used warranty?) vs a model Y with a 4 year warranty? My model X is out of warranty, but I am fully aware that some major $$ could be needed at any point.

4) Model X’s are known to eat tires. All Teslas can be a bit rough on tires, but I think none as much as the model X. I just plan on needing to spend another $1200 on tires every 20,000 miles.

Reactions: Falcon73 and DCGOO
Upvote 0
I just traded in my 90D 17X for a refresh X. I loved that car. I never had any major issues, although it was always covered by warranty.

The MCU upgrade is a must. I bought it with MCU 1 and quickly upgraded to MCU 2 and it was a MUCH better option. I believe the upgrade is only 1500 now.

I only traded it in because Tesla offered me more than I paid for it two years ago, and I locked in pricing on a new X a LONG time ago. Otherwise I was planning on driving it for as long as possible.

It doesn't charge at super chargers as fast as a new Y, but I would peak at 164, and taper from there.

I drove it for @30,000 miles, mostly for work and family travel. The free supercharging was a plus.

I did replace tires once, but didn't think it was a crazy short mileage for them.

My battery range started at 257, and when I traded in in last week, was around 243, at 72,000 miles. So not too bad. Some of the early 90 pack did have bad degradation, but I think mine was once they fixed it. My manufacture date was 3/17.

Reactions: Falcon73
Upvote 0
if you do a '17 as the others have said make sure it has a MCU 2 and HDW3 drive computer. those upgrade for me, made mine get to 2019 quality . and the battery on Version 3 90 Pack after march 17 (I think) have held up . I get 242 ( I think) . it is much better than a 60 or a 75 ( of that era) . watch or ask the buyer if the suspension has had any work , and or how the back doors are. other wise the worth right now ( less any battery issues , knock on wood) . makes is a great deal especially if you need more space than a Y..

Reactions: Falcon73
Upvote 0