Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planning to buy an used Model S (2021) & I need your help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the local dealers has listed a 2021 Model S (PRE Refresh) with FSD - 10,500 miles.
I was able to negotiate on the price and arrive at $64K (preTax)

Couple of questions:
- Is this a good deal? I understand similar spec on Tesla's own used inventory goes for 70K+. Is the 7K-8K price difference worth the risk of buying from a third-party dealer?
- Checked the CarFax - the last entry was in July 2022 with 10,300 miles. This raises questions: What happened to the car in the past 10 months / why no history/miles?

First time Tesla buyer; Your guidance will help

Welcome to the forum. At first glance it appears to be a 'fair' price, but by no means an outstanding deal. First, some questions: Is this a performance model? How many previous owners? Since it's a pre-refresh you may also consider a 2020 MY; I see some performance series going for mid 60K with 15K odometers. All of these models have ultra sonic sensors (USS) so parking in close quarters will not be a concern. Appears that you already have seen the vehicle, so if the overall condition, especially tires / brakes/ colors / option meets your approval then it's probably a low-risk proposition. FSD is a worthy option but it's not going to make up for other issues that might bother you, e.g., wind noise, squeaks and rattles, and features not working. As a 2021 MY you should still be covered by a new vehicle warranty through 2025 and battery / drive unit through 2029. I wouldn't worry too much that the vehicle sat for 10 months, Hopefully the battery wasn't run down too far during that period. Perhaps the dealer can give you some insight into the use profile. But for $64K you get into a late model S which overall doesn't sound all that bad.

Bear in mind that the used Tesla market is still a bit out of sync with the new car market. For example, there have been 12 price adjustments in 2023, most of them down but used inventory tends to hold value despite price cuts. That said, if I was in your position and had some time I would wait until the end of the quarter. New vehicle prices may likely drop again, putting downward pressure on used vehicles. Or if you have time on your side, save up a bit more to consider a new Model S. They are now offering 3.99% interest rates and free unlimited Supercharging miles for 3 years. This promotion closes the gap between used and new; you won't have any headaches keeping you up at night, wondering how previous owner(s) treated the car.

Hope this advice helps and good luck!

Last edited:
@mm9351 , THANK YOU SO MUCH for your detailed response.
This is LR+ model. One previous owner.
Car looks nice inside and out. For my peace of mind, I wanted to do an inspection at a near by Tesla & this dealer is totally fine with it. I have even booked an appointment with Test for inspection.
However, I am still in dilemma - particularly after your response :)
I can definitely wait until Oct/Nov this year - so there is a good possibility of running into a better priced S or Refreshed S. I really like the refreshed look (Yoke, not so much)
For some reason, I can't think of buying one without FSD - hence the dilemma - many of the newer/refreshed ones don't come with FSD.

//Since it's a pre-refresh you may also consider a 2020 MY// I assume you meant 2020 Model S. Yes, I agree with you.
//As a 2021 MY you should still be covered by a new vehicle warranty through 2025 and battery / drive unit through 2029// This Model S was bought in Dec 2020 - so the new warranty is valid until Dev 2024

Thanks again for your time.

Depends on the value you assign to FSD. Used it typically doesn't add much to the resale TBH. It isn't like you pay 15k for it now and it is still worth 10k. It feels more like pennies on the dollar. Maybe it would add 2-3k to LR+.

I would just look for a 2021 refreshed S long range. A great car for the money. Much better acceleration and good range.

Reactions: msnaval
For some FSD, might work ok. For the vast majority of us, AP (which is included) works well enough. I use AP a lot in rush hour traffic. I lived in ATL for some time so it would be awesome to use on the perimeter. The Alpharetta Autobahn is probably too fast to even use AP. It has max speed of 85 mph. I often exceeded that if traffic wasn't too bad. :cool:

If you have your heart set on FSD, you are right, it’s a reasonably good deal.

If you can wait you might hold out for a refresh by fall. You can always add FSD or EAP.

I’ve bought FSD 3 times. Probably won’t the next time. Probably get EAP.

Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs.
With respect to FSD- yes, as much as I want it, I would definitely not pay 15K. But if I buy one without it, I would be tempted to add EAP for 6K later.
With than in mind, what price would make this a good deal - if the dealer contacts me back (I originally quoted a 22K Model S without FSD on Tesla inventory listed for 59K for comparison & that's when this dealer brought the price down to 64K)?

You can always add EAP or FSD to a refreshed 2021+ but you can't turn a pre-refresh into a newer one. One of the major improvements if with the refreshed S and if you buy the LR, you get the same battery pack as the Plaid.

So if performance is your jam, it means the LR basically has fade free acceleration. I did about 20 back to back acceleration runs in my MS LR and the performance barely varied in a mix of 0-60 or running it out to a 1/4 mile when I could. I would literally do a run, brake, turn around, and repeat on a hot Florida day.

The battery was built to supply the demands of the Plaid with over 1,000 HP and with the LR "measly" ~700 HP, it doesn't even seem to tax it. When I say measly, I am joking. It is as fast as a Lambo in the 1/4 mile and it just never fades.

I would strongly encourage you to be patient and buy a refreshed car. Just setup and autotempest search and pull from a lot of sources. Easy to setup and it does a lot of the heavy listing for you.

//I would strongly encourage you to be patient and buy a refreshed car//
Thank you so much for helping me make a decision. I will skip this.

One quick question: What does it take to convert the Yoke to regular wheel (in case I can't live with that on the refreshed model)?

Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs.
With respect to FSD- yes, as much as I want it, I would definitely not pay 15K. But if I buy one without it, I would be tempted to add EAP for 6K later.
With than in mind, what price would make this a good deal - if the dealer contacts me back (I originally quoted a 22K Model S without FSD on Tesla inventory listed for 59K for comparison & that's when this dealer brought the price down to 64K)?
One thing to watch out for. That some members have purchased used Teslas from 3rd party dealers and when they added the car to their account, poof went FSD with it. This has always been a thing with free super charging. But it’s a new thing regarding FSD. Technically, many think that shouldn’t happen and legally shouldn’t. But good luck fighting Tesla over it, even if it was a “mistake”. Buying through private party is much safer.

//That some members have purchased used Teslas from 3rd party dealers and when they added the car to their account, poof went FSD with it. //
Yes, valid point and I am wary of it. The dealership promised they will take care of it, if something happens like that

I just picked up a 2021 Plaid w/28k miles a few days ago from the Tesla Used section of their site for under $80K as one recent data point. Extra warranty and I don't believe Tesla reports any services/repairs to CarFax (someone check me) so if was serviced by them you'll find no records other than standard ownership changes and annual registration events. I suspect a 2021 refresh non-Plaid from Tesla could be around $70k with similar mileage.

I went with paying a little more and getting a few more miles on the car than I wanted in exchange for more Tesla warranty protection. YMMV

Reactions: Drew-MS and msnaval
I think they are sold out currently, but Tesla has the round wheel for 700 I believe.
I picked up a 2021 Plaid from Tesla on Saturday (four days ago) and immediately ordered a round wheel - which was in stock and should have already been shipped to my local SC for installation next week. But like many things on Tesla's shop, inventory goes in and out of stock so if you want a round wheel and you see it available then jump on it. $700 including installation, which is pretty inexpensive for a new wheel from any OEM.

• Informative
Reactions: msnaval and byeLT4
//I just picked up a 2021 Plaid w/28k miles a few days ago from the Tesla Used section of their site for under $80K as one recent data point.//
Is this with FSD?
No, I don't care about FSD and fortunately, this car did not have it.

We had Enhanced Autopilot on my 2019 Model X and the excessive phantom braking made that dangerous to use. All I need/want is basic, adaptive, cruise control with lane centering. Works great on my 2021 Audi Q7.

If/when Tesla's autonomy features improve in reliability and stability then I can always opt to subscribe whenever I take a longer trip.