Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planning to buy Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs..I need one more help :)

I got a deal on Model 3 with RWD which has 1600 miles from a dealer with an upgraded color and 19 inch wheel. The vehicle is priced at 44k but I was told that there be an additional discount which comes to 43k. Do you think is it wise to get an upgraded color and wheel with 1500 miles on the car? I was initially inclined to partial interior vehicle but with 3k plus I am getting upgraded option on color and tires, not sure if its worth it but want to check with people who already own teslas if wheel size is going to make any difference. Again thanks all for your wonderful inputs. Learn quite of a few things from last couple of days. Glad that I joined the forum :)

Reactions: Watts_Up
We need to know a few things:

• Is the car from a Tesla dealer?
  • What are the first 3 digits of the last six digits of the VIN? In other words, 123XXX. This will tell us the approximate build date of the car. There have been many changes made sinice the car was introduced.
  • Does the car comes with Enhanced Auto Pilot?
Color choice is subjective. I didn't want black as that tends to show swirls and scratches easily (I have Midnight Silver Metallic). 19" wheels tend to be damaged easier.

• Informative
We need to know a few things:

• Is the car from a Tesla dealer?
  • What are the first 3 digits of the last six digits of the VIN? In other words, 123XXX. This will tell us the approximate build date of the car. There have been many changes made sinice the car was introduced.
  • Does the car comes with Enhanced Auto Pilot?
Color choice is subjective. I didn't want black as that tends to show swirls and scratches easily (I have Midnight Silver Metallic). 19" wheels tend to be damaged easier.
Thanks for the reply.
- Car is from a tesla dealer. Its primarily used for test drive
- 154XXX and I was told this is 2018 model and not much changes with the new one. Not sure if this is still true
- Yep, it has Auto pilot.

From my perspective, that would be a good price, if there's nothing obviously wrong with the car. My configuration (see my .sig) cost me $61K. Some extra cost was due to me buying EAP after a free trial.

I should also say that I got back $10K from the feds and CA tax board.

From my perspective, that would be a good price, if there's nothing obviously wrong with the car. My configuration (see my .sig) cost me $61K. Some extra cost was due to me buying EAP after a free trial.

I should also say that I got back $10K from the feds and CA tax board.
Thanks for your input. How about 19inch, is that going to be an issue? I believe I will get 5500 in tax credit and state incentive combined.
Just worried about the 1600 plus miles already on the car.

I have a LR AWD and haven't seen a SR+ yet. My advice is if you can stretch your budget by $3K more, then go for the mid range one. You get lot more that way.

One thing to consider is: the cost to insure a model 3 is significant compared to a fully loaded new Toyota Camry or similar car. I am a driver with 0 ticket 0 accident since I got my driver's license 25 years ago and even for me the cost to insure my M3 is over $1700 per year. That is more than the two other cars I have combined (a fully loaded 2015 Toyota Sienna Limited and a nicely loaded 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid).

Regardless of which one you buy, you will love your M3. This is the best car I have ever driven.

I have a LR AWD and haven't seen a SR+ yet. My advice is if you can stretch your budget by $3K more, then go for the mid range one. You get lot more that way.

One thing to consider is: the cost to insure a model 3 is significant compared to a fully loaded new Toyota Camry or similar car. I am a driver with 0 ticket 0 accident since I got my driver's license 25 years ago and even for me the cost to insure my M3 is over $1700 per year. That is more than the two other cars I have combined (a fully loaded 2015 Toyota Sienna Limited and a nicely loaded 2016 Toyota Camry Hybrid).

Regardless of which one you buy, you will love your M3. This is the best car I have ever driven.
Thanks much for the input. I see the difference between brand new mid-range and the one the quote that I provided is just 3K.
Regarding insurance quote, that's pretty high. Wow I didn't factor that. Someone in this thread responded saying that his insurance costs him close 1100 for 6 months on two teslas. Will shop around before I order the car :)

I was happy to stay with the 18" aeros. It's the biggest rim I've ever had on a car. Besides bring very slightly better for efficiency, they should stand up a little better when hitting potholes.

A used test drive car with 1500-1600 miles shouldn't be too much of a problem. You probably have slightly less life on the tires and maybe the brake pads. Check the seats carefully for any wear and tear. The battery and mechanicals are still covered by the factory warranty.

Yes, insurance will most likely be higher than other cars. If you can get reasonably cheap no/low deductible glass coverage go for it.

Reactions: Tesnewbee
I was happy to stay with the 18" aeros. It's the biggest rim I've ever had on a car. Besides bring very slightly better for efficiency, they should stand up a little better when hitting potholes.

A used test drive car with 1500-1600 miles shouldn't be too much of a problem. You probably have slightly less life on the tires and maybe the brake pads. Check the seats carefully for any wear and tear. The battery and mechanicals are still covered by the factory warranty.

Yes, insurance will most likely be higher than other cars. If you can get reasonably cheap no/low deductible glass coverage go for it.
Thanks Ray! One last question from my end related to this car, sorry I have been asking too many questions. Do I also need to worry about any bumper issues ? Did anyone have any issues recently? How can I prevent this happening?

Not sure about that. I know that there were a couple (?) reports of the bumper liner ripping off when going through deep water. Have not encountered anything like that yet so far.

I'd say stay away from trying to forge urban streams if/when they occur. Something you should be doing with any car you drive.

Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs..I need one more help :)

I got a deal on Model 3 with RWD which has 1600 miles from a dealer with an upgraded color and 19 inch wheel. The vehicle is priced at 44k but I was told that there be an additional discount which comes to 43k. Do you think is it wise to get an upgraded color and wheel with 1500 miles on the car? I was initially inclined to partial interior vehicle but with 3k plus I am getting upgraded option on color and tires, not sure if its worth it but want to check with people who already own teslas if wheel size is going to make any difference. Again thanks all for your wonderful inputs. Learn quite of a few things from last couple of days. Glad that I joined the forum :)
Is this for a LR RWD, and does it include auto pilot or enhanced auto pilot? If yes, it's a good deal. Ask them to through in some rubber floor mats too.

Not sure about that. I know that there were a couple (?) reports of the bumper liner ripping off when going through deep water. Have not encountered anything like that yet so far.

I'd say stay away from trying to forge urban streams if/when they occur. Something you should be doing with any car you drive.
Sure Ray, will keep this mind.
Is this for a LR RWD, and does it include auto pilot or enhanced auto pilot? If yes, it's a good deal. Ask them to through in some rubber floor mats too.
That's for Mid_range RWD with auto pilot option

OP,

Tesla is offering a free paint or wheel upgrade on any remaining 2018 inventory model at this point. So you may want to ask them if they have any brand new models in the configuration you are looking for. As far as whether this model with 1,500 miles is a good deal, I'd say it depends on whether you would have chosen to spend the money on the paint and/or wheel upgrades if you had purchased a new one. If you really just wanted a black one and were happy with the standard wheels, you could have a brand new 2019 LR RWD for the same $43K price. But if you were going to spend the money anyway then it does represent an actual savings to you. It's just personal preference regarding color and wheel choices.

Youll want to plug in every night if you can. Tesla’s like to be plugged in and charged to about 90%

I was just going to post the same thing. @Tesnewbee you don’t necessarily need to charge every night but I wouldn’t allow the battery to get that low on a consistent basis. Tesla’s like to be plugged in often. As long as you’re not charging beyond 90% except for when you need max range you’ll be fine. Also do you really want to be in a position where there is an emergency situation and you need your car immediately but it’s busy charging and only has 30 miles of range? Especially since you have kids, you’ll want to have as much range available whenever possible. You never know when you might need it.

Reactions: Matt L
OP,

Tesla is offering a free paint or wheel upgrade on any remaining 2018 inventory model at this point. So you may want to ask them if they have any brand new models in the configuration you are looking for.
I see where I got crossed up:

Free wheel upgrade or paint upgrade on inventory vehicle now

First post mentioned "48 hours" and I took that to mean the offer was only for two days. Sorry about that.

Now that I think about it, the car doesn’t even have to be a 2018. If you can find a 2019 inventory car they will still offer you the paint or wheel upgrade. They offered me free wheels on a 2019 MR. I accepted but when I went to look at the car the front and rear door did not line up properly (bad gaps) so I rejected it.