Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Planning to install Sirius in my Model 3.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
All we have to go on so far is the Model S configuration page, but if it is reasonably accurate, then it seems that for me to be able to listen to Howard Stern and some comedy channels, I'd have to buy the premium sound package (which I don't want), and the sunroof (which I REALLY don't want), because Tesla has, for some inexplicable reason, been unable to mount a satellite radio antenna on a standard metal roof like EVERY OTHER car manufacturer in the world. $4500 (in Model S prices) to install something that shouldn't cost more than a few hundred? Not me!

So I will just say no to that. I started looking for portable Sirius radios with speakers today. I will order the base radio and the base roof, preferably a metal roof in my 3, then mount the aftermarket radio in it and RTV the antenna to the roof. There will almost never be anyone in my 3 but me, so it doesn't have to look pretty.

I refuse to be extorted into buying high priced options I do not want to get one relatively minor option that I do want!

Here is what I found so far, in about 5 minutes of Google searching:

All Radios - Shop SiriusXM

Reactions: boofagle
I won't use my phone for a Sirius app. It'll burn down the battery, and I will probably be in a niche market where the exact type of satellite radio I want is the only kind that does count towards data usage. And plugging the phone into a charger every time I get in the car is too much hassle. My phone carrier is Verizon.

I won't use my phone for a Sirius app. It'll burn down the battery, and I will probably be in a niche market where the exact type of satellite radio I want is the only kind that does count towards data usage. And plugging the phone into a charger every time I get in the car is too much hassle. My phone carrier is Verizon.

I would say a Sirius radio with a FM transmitter then.

For the ridiculous cost of the Premium Sound, which really ain't so premium, plus the cost of a Sat radio prescription, I'll take the few dead zones using the XM app and my AT&T cellular phone.

Slacker ain't no XM or Pandora, but it's not all that bad.

Besides, ain't that hard to load up a USB thumbdrive with hours of your favorite songs for roadtrips, but admittedly I am a cheap bastard, who spent all my money on a Tesla

Reactions: ZBB
I'm guessing SiriusXM won't be offered on the 3. It's an easy way to streamline production and cut costs, plus SiriusXM isn't really a close partner with Tesla as they are with other manufacturers (they don't even offer free trials for Tesla vehicles for example).

My suggestion would be to either:

1. Get an Onyx Plus which is a great radio and pretty cheap right now and route the antenna somewhere inconspicuous. Either use the built in FM transmitter or get a 3.5mm to Bluetooth adapter for better sound quality.

2. Get a cheap tablet that has cellular connectivity (maybe an older iPad mini) and sign up for T-Mobile's $20 data plan that gives you 2GB data and free unlimited music streaming from SiriusXM and many others. Plus you'd have the 2GB to use whenever you'd need it for non-music things. You could also use the tablet for better navigation through Google vs. Tesla's inferior navigation provider.

• Informative
Reactions: PRSIST
I'm guessing SiriusXM won't be offered on the 3. It's an easy way to streamline production and cut costs, plus SiriusXM isn't really a close partner with Tesla as they are with other manufacturers (they don't even offer free trials for Tesla vehicles for example).

My suggestion would be to either:

1. Get an Onyx Plus which is a great radio and pretty cheap right now and route the antenna somewhere inconspicuous. Either use the built in FM transmitter or get a 3.5mm to Bluetooth adapter for better sound quality.

2. Get a cheap tablet that has cellular connectivity (maybe an older iPad mini) and sign up for T-Mobile's $20 data plan that gives you 2GB data and free unlimited music streaming from SiriusXM and many others. Plus you'd have the 2GB to use whenever you'd need it for non-music things. You could also use the tablet for better navigation through Google vs. Tesla's inferior navigation provider.

Had no idea about the T-mobile and XM deal, all suggestions are excellent.

Reactions: PRSIST
That's a bad guess. That would make Tesla Model 3 about the only car without satellite radio. Even the cheapest cars from other manufacturers have it, at least as an option. Sat Rad tuners are DIRT CHEAP right now. "Streamlining production" doesn't make sense when you consider that they've already done the integration work with the Model S and X. "Cut costs" makes no sense when the tuners cost as little as $10 for an option that has nearly 30 million subscribers (demonstrating it's popularity)

Reactions: PRSIST and DR61
That's a bad guess. That would make Tesla Model 3 about the only car without satellite radio. Even the cheapest cars from other manufacturers have it, at least as an option. Sat Rad tuners are DIRT CHEAP right now. "Streamlining production" doesn't make sense when you consider that they've already done the integration work with the Model S and X. "Cut costs" makes no sense when the tuners cost as little as $10 for an option that has nearly 30 million subscribers (demonstrating it's popularity)

You are correct, and the fact that Tesla did not include a XM radio has nothing to do with the cost to include, but to entice buyer to upgrade to the ridiculous $2500 upgrade to premium sound, which other than a subwoofer, ain't so premium, especially at highway speeds.

I suspect there is not another vehicle sold in this country that does not include Sat Radio with a price tag over $50k, and then there is Tesla... pretty pathetic. They know many are "hooked" on Sat radio...

It's just like you cannot get a 90D with an upgraded charger anymore, so would have to go for the 100D to be able to benefit from the HPWC over 40 amps.

It's all about control... so many similarities to other companies, ie Apple

It's all about control... so many similarities to other companies, ie Apple

I got news for Tesla. They ain't gonna control me, up to a point, on options! I will never buy an Apple product again because I hate how they force people into buying only their stuff. I did my own car work for many years, and I will make changes to my 3 myself, just for the sheer principle of it!

Things like the metal roof and satellite radio are items that I refuse to pay high "UPGRADE" prices for, but I will get them, one way or another.

That's another thing. I really don't like how Tesla is pushing this whole glass roof thing so hard. What's their motivation for that, aside from money? I understand about assembly line robots being able to work through the open roof, but they could then glue in a metal roof panel just as easily as a glass one. I do not want a glass roof!

Last edited:
I got news for Tesla. They ain't gonna control me, up to a point, on options! I will never buy an Apple product again because I hate how they force people into buying only their stuff. I did my own car work for many years, and I will make changes to my 3 myself, just for the sheer principle of it!

Things like the metal roof and satellite radio are items that I refuse to pay high "UPGRADE" prices for, but I will get them, one way or another.

That's another thing. I really don't like how Tesla is pushing this whole glass roof thing so hard. What's their motivation for that, aside from money? I understand about assembly line robots being able to work through the open roof, but they could then glue in a metal roof panel just as easily as a glass one. I do not want a glass roof!
Seems like it's not the car for you?

Having been a Tesla owner for over a year, I can tell you @Dakkor is absolutely correct, you will hate the way Tesla supports customers who want options and are DIYers.

They do not even support information on replacement of fuses.

Windshield Wipers, air for tires and electricity... that's all they "let" you do.

Resistance is futile.